Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

Retirement...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement...

My employer has been acquired by another company and my services will no longer be required as of 1 Sept 2017. I will be a few weeks shy of 68 at that time and planned to retire anyway. I will get a 6 figure severance lump sum payout and I feel I deserve a retirement gift. A gold watch, perhaps, a perpetual calendar? I have 10 months to agonize over it, and it's already well under way.

Lucky! Enjoy it. I wish I could retire and get a nice big payout.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. And yes, you deserve a very expensive watch.

Enjoy the window shopping in the meantime

Comment

I would like lots of things, like an Everose gold Skydweller, a JLC Duometre or 8 day perpetual, or the gold Yachtmaster. I seriously am leaning toward the Yachtmaster as I think it will be something I could wear doing my retirement activities. An all gold bracelet, not so much. and a fragile movement....I don't know. Plenty of time to agonize over it.

Comment

Congratulations on the impending retirement, sounds like it is working out nicely for you, its a long time to consider watches and the styles to choose from. Love the idea of a gold perpetual

Comment

Decisions, decisions...!

Go for an 18k Sub, Bob.
            As Pimp Daddy used to say "If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly."

He also used to say that the difficulty of choosing from a large box of watches would be frustrating and would leave him feeling like a blind lesbian in an anchovy cannery...

He certainly had a way with words. I miss him...

Anyway, back to the topic on hand - 18k Sub, black dial natch, endy story.

Comment

Rose gold Day Date.

Obvious, innit.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
                Decisions, decisions...!

Go for an 18k Sub, Bob.

He also used to say that the difficulty of choosing from a large box of watches would be frustrating and would leave him feeling like a blind lesbian in an anchovy cannery...

Pimp Daddy was before my time but sounds like he made a lot of sense!

Comment

Got to be gold. I prefer the DD II to the new DD 40. My preference would be for a YG piece with diamond dial.

Comment

Originally posted by cakey View Post
                    Pimp Daddy was before my time but sounds like he made a lot of sense!

Yup, he was quite a guy!

Comment

Decisions, decisions...!

Go for an 18k Sub, Bob.

I smell something fishy about that. Are you sure that you're not describing your own alter ego?

Comment

Go for the YG Sky Dweller. It's big and heavy and the leather strap wouldn't give you nightmares about being too flimsy. But if it did, take the strap off and wear it on a NATO - make it classy, though, get a black one - and for sure you will be able to wear it during your retirement activities!

Comment

Yup, he was quite a guy!
                          ... so says our resident chancre mechanic!!! LOL! I remember John fondly - he was a good ol' boy from Texas. Had a passion for watches, motorcycles, calligraphy, and the law... great guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Reorx View Post

... so says our resident chancre mechanic!!! LOL! I remember John fondly - he was a good ol' boy from Texas. Had a passion for watches, motorcycles, calligraphy, and the law... great guy!
                            And guns, too.
                            Here's a great story he'd posted (interestingly, Michael, in one of your Threads from 2003!!)

We were coming out of Houston's Jones Hall one winter's night; there was more than a sprinkling of mink and sable coats in evidence. The man walking to my right was a tall, gruff looking sort whose wife was wearing a full-length sable coat that probably set him back $50k to $75k USD.

We get to the sidewalk and here comes Paint Boy striding purposefully toward this guy's wife with a coffee can full of red paint in his hand. The guy sees the can and steps in front of his wife to shield her, all the while opening his tux jacket to reveal a .45 caliber auto, no doubt legal under the concealed handgun laws.

In a deep voice, he told Paint Boy, "Do that, sonny, and your mother will puke in your casket."

Paint Boy continued on down the street, the red paint still in his can, not on the coat... not that I condone violence at any point, but that seemed damned effective to me.

PD
                            Chancre mechanic! LOL! Ahhh...happy days!

Comment

We had quite a few cunning members, back in the day. 😎
                              S

Comment

Working...
                              X