Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

Home gym

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home gym

Feeling bored and frustrated after my surgery, last week I decided, as you do, to turn one of our rooms into a home gym.

It already housed my Concept 2 machine, but also our bookcase, shooting paraphernalia and other miscellaneous junk.

So, first job was reducing our book collection by approximately 50%. This was quite a sad task, as we love books, but we decided that, with the internet, many tomes could be done without, although I did insist on keeping a complete collection of Encyclopedia Britannica.

With that job done, along with a thorough clean and sort out, the next job was to equip the room.

First up, an indoor cycling machine. This came down to a choice of three: a Watt bike, a Kettler Racer S, or a Matrix / Life Fitness IC7. Eventually, the decision was made to go for the hi-tech IC7.

Having found one available at a good discount, I hired a van and set-off to London to collect it. All I can say is wow! It is a really beauty of a machine.

With cardiovascular equipment taken care of; resistance training was next. To that end, I first bought an Everlast kit which came with three resistance bands, and another containing press up bars, an exercise ball (complete with woefully inadequate pump), an abs roller, and a skipping rope.

Next, my thoughts turned from toning up, to bulking up. Having a look on eBay, I found a Body Max 430 bench and a squat / dip bar, along with 6' Olympic barbell, within a reasonable distance. So, the other evening, after work, off I set on a tour of Sussex and Surrey to collect them.

In the meantime, I'd also decided that every gym needs screens, so I bought a 32" smart TV to put in there, along with an existing 32" screen that I bought to watch Bergerac whilst rowing!

With all of that installed, and the screens mounted for viewing, opposite the bike and rower, I decided that some dumbbells and weights would be useful. These were duly ordered on Thursday night, with the dumbbells arriving today, and the weights due Monday.

Finally, today, I bought an attachment for the bench to do Preacher curls and leg extensions.

Phew! I now feel worn out writing that lot. Photos to come; eventually - I've been experiencing technical difficulties trying to upload them from my phone.

I hope you are going to use it all after all that effort

Comment

Originally posted by Wilsdorf View Post
      I hope you are going to use it all after all that effort
      Of course! It's got a smart TV, DVD player, and nice comfy seat, so it's an ideal place to escape the family!

Comment

TTIUWP!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
          TTIUWP!!!!!
          Yeah, yeah! Been busy chasing out and chopping in new sockets for the the TVs and everything else. Next job is to do the first fix, get the filling and plastering done, then the second fix. Then, if you're good, I might get round to a few photos! ;p

Comment

A quick pic, as they seem to be working.

Comment

MIA: Feng shui

Comment

No dogs allowed!

Comment

Is that a foreign piece of gym kit???

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

Is that a foreign piece of gym kit???
                    Perhaps it's a famous personal trainer?

Comment

Or, more straightforwardly, a safe exercising zone.

Whilst the static machines might be just about safe enough, I'd be worried about doing free weights (or any exercise!) in such a cluttered area.

However, as we all know, "safe", to Chris, is a four-letter word

Comment

Safe: a place in which to keep guns, money, watches, documents, etc... How could you exercise inside one!? You're just being silly, Harb!

Comment

This is the current state of things in there!
                          So far, only one injury - caused by a sharp blade snapping and slicing through my finger.
                          The wood in the photos is the roof plate, along with one/two roof joists.

Just goes to show, Harb was right after all, you really should be careful using free-weights! Turns out, you can bring the house down with them!

Comment

Working...
                          X