Off to NYC tomorrow...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to NYC tomorrow...

To spend some time with my daughter. Luckily the weather seems to have died down a bit, and I should be looking at highs of between 6 and 8 degrees whilst I'm there.

I've been to NY so often that it feels like home, but this time I may just check to see whether Mike really exists

I grew up (?) in NJ and took the bus to NYC a lot as a young teenager. Hung around in Hoboken watched the WTC being built.

We used to nag our Dad to take us there since we could not buy caps for our cap guns in NJ, which still maintains its regressive firearms laws.

Comment

I've been going regularly for decades now, and I used to find my way around using the Twin Towers as a landmark. It's still strange without them, although I'll certainly pop down to the memorial again and spare some thoughts for those who lost their lives.

Comment

I remember going to NYC in the 80s on business when it was not terribly salubrious in certain areas...................

Not been for several years now. Have a great time and look forward to the photos!

Which watch are you taking - have you decided?

Comment

Thanks very much, Michael, and I have actually. No Rolex, but...

1) Aerospace Night Mission for every day wear
          2) Omega Railmaster for evenings when wearing black
          3) Zenith Chronomaster, for evenings when wearing brown.

None of them too blingy and all likely to go unnoticed.

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
            Thanks very much, Michael, and I have actually. No Rolex, but...

1) Aerospace Night Mission for every day wear
            2) Omega Railmaster for evenings when wearing black
            3) Zenith Chronomaster, for evenings when wearing brown.

None of them too blingy and all likely to go unnoticed.
            not many people think that way. I'm the same. I always match things.

Comment

Learning to Fly,
              If you are going to be sightseeing, I usually recommend these places:

Croton Reservoir
              Flushing Meadow Swamp
              Washington Square Cemetery

S.

Comment

Hope you're having a nice time, Tony!

Comment

Have you ever taken multiple rolexes to the US, Tony? I wonder what the reality of taking multiples rolexes is. Would they seize the watches or is that reserved for dealers only?

Comment

Breitling, Omega ad Zenith - all could be fakes. Shouldn't get impounded for those choices.

Comment

Originally posted by trainee View Post
                      Have you ever taken multiple rolexes to the US, Tony? I wonder what the reality of taking multiples rolexes is. Would they seize the watches or is that reserved for dealers only?

Interesting question. Certainly with a single Rolex (first a Datejust,, then a GMT) I never was stopped or had my wrist inspected by a US Customs officer. Must be that honest face again.

And although I have ordered watches from the States before, I have without exception been asked to pay the relevant duty.

If I were to take multiple Rolexes,. I would make sure I had all my purchasing paperwork for each watch, especially proof of paying customs duty from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

not many people think that way. I'm the same. I always match things.
                        It's a daily routine for me, John!

Comment

Originally posted by Snooty View Post
                          Learning to Fly,
                          If you are going to be sightseeing, I usually recommend these places:

Croton Reservoir
                          Flushing Meadow Swamp
                          Washington Square Cemetery

S.
                          Thank you for that. I've actually been here about 30 times now, and it's really more about spending time with my daughter than the usual sightseeing. I do like mooching around, though.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
                            Hope you're having a nice time, Tony!
                            Thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

Interesting question. Certainly with a single Rolex (first a Datejust,, then a GMT) I never was stopped or had my wrist inspected by a US Customs officer. Must be that honest face again.

And although I have ordered watches from the States before, I have without exception been asked to pay the relevant duty.

If I were to take multiple Rolexes,. I would make sure I had all my purchasing paperwork for each watch, especially proof of paying customs duty from the US.
                              Wot he said

Comment

Working...
                              X