Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Over the coming few days, you'll see some changes happening to the forum.

Please see here for more details: http://www.newturfers.com/vb/forum/g...g-on-the-forum
See more
See less

How Times Have Changed...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Times Have Changed...

50 years ago on Tuesday, a key report was published that marked the beginning of a change in our relationship with smoking.

Although there had been previous warnings linking smoking and lung cancer, it was the 1962 study by the Royal College of Physicians, Smoking and Health, that really broke through to the public and politicians.

Attitudes in the intervening 50 years have changed enormously.

But in 1962, very few people took the dangers posed by smoking cigarettes seriously.
    Read more here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17264442

What I found very interesting was the video clip of a reporter interviewing smokers on the street. Well worth watching for the accents, manners and attitudes back in 1962!
    (Although the clip kept reminding me of Harry Enfield's "Mr Cholmondley-Warner" sketches!! )

Fantastic . Love the accents

Comment

Originally posted by Java View Post
      Fantastic . Love the accents
      Awe, indeed, fentestic - love the eggz'nts...

Comment

Good post, innit. Well, that's one vice I've avoided!
        S

Comment

Attachments no longer animate ...
          S ;~(

Comment

Fantastic Harb,quite funny as you say like Harry Enfield. They must have intreviewed only posh people in those days,certainly never interviewed anyone from Liverpool there. Times certainly have changed !

Comment

A very interesting reminder of life when I was 9! I do vaguely remember that report coming out; even at my young age I noticed the debate it caused.

Neither of my parents smoked, but most of the rest of the family did (with many suffering the health consequences later).

By the way, we still all talk like that in the south, don't you know?

Comment

Originally posted by NickIslander View Post
                By the way, we still all talk like that in the south, don't you know?
                LOL!!

However, not even the Queen still sounds like that! - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1080228.stm

Another example of modernisation of classic British icons - eg Mini, Rolls-Royce, Bentley.
                Germans, eh?!

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Germans, eh?!
                  LOL! Brilliant Harb!

Comment

Working...
                  X