Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Over the coming few days, you'll see some changes happening to the forum.

Please see here for more details: http://www.newturfers.com/vb/forum/g...g-on-the-forum
See more
See less

Rolex Sportsman's Handbook - 1960

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex Sportsman's Handbook - 1960

[Credit: All pictures and text by Subfiend unless noted otherwise]

Since I was afflicted with this collecting sickness, I have sought out some of the more rare colectables, including rare brochures. These are extremely hard to find, and they can get VERY pricey. To start the thread, here is my latest expensive acquisition, the 1960 Rolex "Sportsmans Handbook" mentioned at the bottom of this early 60s Pan Am Navigator GMT ad.

Last edited by harb; 30th April 2009, 04:15 PM.

Cover page. "How to use a watch on Land, on Sea, or in the Air"

(Just in case you crash your MG roadster into the water at the yacht club parking lot while on your way to fly that Piper aircraft.)

"Use of watch at boat race start," by Arthur Knapp, Jr.

"The Pilot and His Watch" from Flying magazine.

"Use of Watch at Sports Car Rally" from Car and Driver magazine.

Take your pick of the latest Oyster Perpetual Chronometers: the Explorer 1016 (how did that get in here?), GMT 1675, Sub 5512 and Pre-Daytona Chronograph 6234.

(Note the Chronograph costs $5 less than the Explorer, $165 v. $170. The Submariner 5512 is a lot more expensive than the now obsolete James Bond Sub 5508, $180 v. $150. And the GMT tops them all at $240. Apparently, pilots have more money than yachties, climbers and rally car drivers, or knowing the date costs you more.)

Last edited by harb; 30th April 2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

It is actually a Triumph TR3, not an MG....

Comment

Working...
      X