is it a bird?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it a bird?

There's been a fair bit of talk on TZ-UK recently regarding the Seagull 1963 reissue. The original watch was made for the Chinese Air Force in (you've guessed it) 1963, and the latest version is true to it's predecessor save that the movement has a couple of extra jewels.

Discussion has abounded regarding crystals and case-backs, and in the midst of it all I managed to satisfy a yearning that's been building for some time now. I purchased mine over at Watchunique, and ordered it with the domed acrylic crystal and solid case-back. The cost was all of and I'm more than happy with my choices as I think they look "right" and are as authentic as possible. FedEx delivered the package from the Netherlands within three days or ordering too, which is lucky because I happened to be working from home today when I got the knock.

As for the watch itself... well, it's never going to compete with the big-hitters costing a whole lot more (it's a cheaply-printed dial, and there are some very minor QC issues) but for the money you can't deny that it's some achievement. A hand-wound, 21 jewel column-wheel chronograph, lovely play on colours (gold, red and blue) and applied indices that really catch the light. This one is 38mm and it comes with an 18mm olive NATO that suits it perfectly. I've ordered a couple of striped alternatives (red/sand and sand/red) as well as a solid brown, and I'm sure it'll be fun switching them around. All in all, you can't argue with the value, and it's certainly one of the prettiest watches I've seen. I love it

Like that Tony. Quite tempted to get one myself.

There is something very genuine and warm about it. It exudes a kind of pride of achievement. A very special watch which deserves a place in horology as much as many Swiss and German watches.

Comment

Its a very balanced and readable dial. And great value to boot. Will be interested to know how it performs in the long term.

Comment

Did not grab me when I first see it but the more I look at it the more I like it.
        Great size too. Your pics are 1000 x better than the Watchunique site.

Comment

Originally posted by Java View Post
          Like that Tony. Quite tempted to get one myself.

There is something very genuine and warm about it. It exudes a kind of pride of achievement. A very special watch which deserves a place in horology as much as many Swiss and German watches.
          I may get you one for Christmas, Tim!

Originally posted by swatch View Post
          Its a very balanced and readable dial. And great value to boot. Will be interested to know how it performs in the long term.
          Originally posted by pandadan View Post
          Did not grab me when I first see it but the more I look at it the more I like it.
          Great size too. Your pics are 1000 x better than the Watchunique site.
          It's hard not to like it, isn't it? Unpretentious and charming (not unlike it's owner).

Comment

Like lots would like to see it on leather NATO and my birth year on reverse tempts me to own one myself

Comment

Time for an update on this, Tony! I was reading about these only yesterday. Quite tempted by either this or something else with the movement.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                Time for an update on this, Tony! I was reading about these only yesterday. Quite tempted by either this or something else with the movement.

Cant really update you, Chris, as I moved it on a long time ago. Still great VFM, though.

What were you reading?

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post

Cant really update you, Chris, as I moved it on a long time ago. Still great VFM, though.

What were you reading?

The original post from 2013 - obviously a lot of time on his hands!

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post

What were you reading?
                    I was just doing some research on the Seagull movement and an article about the 1963 came up; I can't remember where from.

Comment

Sorry but it is a couple of years out for my birth year - couldn't possibly get one of these.

Comment

So need to fnd something older for Michael.

Comment

Not looking anymore, Already got a birth year Tudor and a Rolex that is only 1 year out.

Comment

FYI on the dial 中国 means China. It's the same in Japanese.

Comment

And underneath translates to "heavenly hand/arm chart" or there abouts. Admittedly I did need to check 2 of the characters - my reading of Chinese charecters isn't very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X