Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

The "it's been well over a year" SOTC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "it's been well over a year" SOTC

Some people love them, some people hate them, but it's been about 15 months since I posted an SOTC and it's nearly the end of 2016. So...

The vintage

1981 Rolex Submariner 5513

I love this watch, and have had it for over 3 years now. Other Rolex divers have come and gone but this is so... perfect that I can't imagine ever selling it. It's been swimming, too, and is as per spec when it comes to water resistance; I also have a slightly newer insert on a spare bezel assembly which I sometimes toy with putting on. But I don't!.

Mid-1970's Heuer Montreal 110.53 NC

The Montreal has to be one of the most underrated Heuers, although prices have hardened over the last 2 or 3 years so they're looking like a sound investment; more importantly, though, they're a beautiful watch, especially when they have patina like this one. I wear this watch when I'm not in the office, although it has seen the odd dress down Friday!

Mid-1970's Heuer Autavia 2446C GMT

I did have a virtually NOS Autavia GMT in the more common cushion case, but find the older compression cases to be a lot more wearable. This has only had one previous owner who happened to be a retired Heuer watchmaker, and it's never seen a polish. It's a real stunner on the wrist, but I've only ever taken a couple of shots of it other than some quick and dirty wrist shots, and I don't have anything right now that actually does it justice.

1969 Seiko 6159-7001

I've had 7 MM300s, and actually have one right now in the guise of the successor to the SBDX001 - the '017. I don't know why I've sold the others, but perhaps it's because I always wanted one of the originals. Now I have one, and it's an absolute beauty... in fact, there are as many people queuing for this as there are for my 5513 (sorry guys). This is another unpolished watch, although it does have a NOS bezel to smarten it up a bit!

1978 Seiko 6306-7001

The last of my vintage watches at the moment, and this is the hacking version of the 6309 (oh, and it has a few extra jewels)... not as many of these around as they were just produced in a short run for the Japanese market, and consequently they're a bit more sought-after than the 6309. This is a gorgeous example, and I love wearing it.

The modern

2016 Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/1A

I've been on the waiting list for a blue-dialled Nautilus for a long time, and a few months ago popped into the AD to have a coffee and a chat with the absolutely lovely manageress. She asked me why I wanted a Nautilus specifically, and half an hour later I'd told her; two days later I received a phone call offering me the white dial, and I jumped at the chance. I'm really glad I did, because now I have it I may even prefer it to the blue (although I'm not daft enough to have come off the list for that one). In any event, Patek have offered to swap the dial if I want to, but I've decided to leave it as nature intended.

2013 Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167/A

I won't bore you with the saga of my decision-making process, but suffice it to say that I nearly bought an Aquanaut a couple of years ago, opted for a Royal Oak instead, and then corrected my mistake. The RO is a sublime watch, but I honestly think that the Aquanaut is the best modern sports watch, bar none. It has to be worn to be fully appreciated, and it's so adaptable I've even worn it for black tie events. Perfect in every way.

2016 Omega Globemaster

This was unplanned, in that I was actually after a Datejust. However, as soon as it was listed for sale I knew I was going to give it a go, and I'm very glad I did. It has a METAS-certified chronometer movement, a time zone function and is antimagnetic to 15,000 gauss; at the same time, in terms of design it's a proper hommage to the original Globemasters from the 1950s... hats off to Omega for their approach to reissues!

2016 Omega Seamaster 300 Co-Axial

Another recent Omega triumph, in my opinion, the co-axial Seamaster is just a gorgeous watch. On the bracelet it comes into its own but I've currently got mine on a black Zulu and it's equally lovely... clearly not the epitome of a tool watch, but a supremely adaptable watch as a consequence.

2012 Blancpain Tribute to Fifty Fathoms

Now, if we're talking dress-divers... this is actually my third Fifty Fathoms, but the LE "No Radiations" is my favourite by far. I'm not sure if it's the flash of orange, the slightly different dial layout of the fact that there are so few of them in existence. In any event, I love the sapphire bezel and the general feeling of quality, and also love the 3-barreled 5 day movement. Another watch that I wear a lot, both at work and casually.

2011 Glashutte Original Senator Perpetual Calendar

I think the GO interpretation of the perpetual calendar is one of the best out there. It's certainly the cleanest dial layout you'll find, and this watch contains the 100 series movement, a significant upgrade on the older models powered by the 39 series instead. After 3 years I'm still shocked when I put this on as it really is very beautiful. I don't wear it often enough, though, and will try to do something about that in the future. This particular watch was bought new by Geoffrey Hess, by the way!

2016 Panerai Radiomir PAM00346

A lot of people don't "get" Panerai. That's fine because it's horses for courses, but personally I'm a big fan, especially of the Radiomirs. I thought my 337 was as good as it gets, but I was wrong... the 346 is just breathtaking, with it's titanium case, tobacco sandwich dial and rose gold hands. Inside is a wonderful movement, with three barrels providing no less than 8 days of power. There are lots of other things of interest too, and I think this is a magnificent watch.

2016 Seiko Prospex SBDX017

My seventh MM300, as I mentioned earlier, and this one benefits from a Diashield coating and MEMS technology in the movement. It's still very much the beast it was before, though, and it really does provide a strange morphing of old and new... and despite protestations from some I think the bracelet is lovely! A great watch to take on holiday, I've worn it with suits without any problem at all, despite it's relatively substantial size; if you've not tried one of these, think about it.

2015 Breitling Aerospace Night Mission LE

Finally, a watch that I was after for quite a while but finally snagged after posting a WTB. I've had a lot of Aerospaces, but the Night Mission is the one that does it for me. I'm still not sure if I actually prefer the black dial to the LE cobra dial, but in any event it's a fantastic grab and go watch and it looks even better now that it's on a black and yellow Breitling leather strap. I find that I need an ana-digi in the watch box, and this has filled my old B-1's shoes perfectly.

There you go, then - a quick trip inside the LTF watch box. I don't find that I'm yearning for much now, although I'm expecting a ceramic Daytona to arrive next June; then there's the blue dialled Nautilus, which is still a couple of years away. Strangely, I find that I'm wearing my modern watches far more than the vintage at the moment, although I seem to go in phases with that kind of thing. Anyway, hopefully that was reasonably interesting, and if it wasn't the photos were nice to look at :eagerness:
    Last edited by learningtofly; 30th December 2016, 11:04 AM.

An awesome collection and great photos as always... the Fifty Fathoms is too big for me but the Aquanaut is still on my list

Comment

Wow what a great collection. That white dial PP is stunning. Also very drawn to the Breitling.

Comment

Stunning ! Very interesting notes about each piece, enjoy.

Comment

Beautiful photos!

Great post

Comment

Pretty nice collection.....enjoy!

Comment

Got to be the Glashutte. Been looking at several Perpetual Calendars recently (but still got to source a clutch of Tudors...........).

Comment

Thanks guys, and have a lovely New Year!

Comment

Good to see people's collections. If I get the time, I'll try to photograph my modest group. About time Tim gave us a SOTC post!

Comment

What an amazing set of watches, old and new. ever a bad thing keeping a couple of heuers in the fold but maybe I am a bit biased

Comment

Superb and as always amazing pics.

Comment

Superb pics and commentary, Tony! Thanks for taking the time to post - always worth reading and these are Threads to which I often return for a re-read!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post the OP. Superb pictures and commentary

A lot of watches though. You've been a collector for some time. What do you feel is a sensible number to have such that they get decent wrist time?

Personally I've got three and these days wear them about a month at a time. Before I used to change every few days but being busy with work and family, changing my watches doesn't feature very highly in my to do list

Comment

Thanks again, chaps!

Originally posted by trainee View Post
                            Thank you for taking the time to post the OP. Superb pictures and commentary

A lot of watches though. You've been a collector for some time. What do you feel is a sensible number to have such that they get decent wrist time?

Personally I've got three and these days wear them about a month at a time. Before I used to change every few days but being busy with work and family, changing my watches doesn't feature very highly in my to do list
                            I have too many for comfort, if I'm honest, which is why the numbers go up and down like a yo-yo. I'd say that you have your priorities right, though, because at the end of the day they're nothing more than trinkets.

Comment

some great looking pieces Tony... as always stunning pics too.
                              especially of the aerospace which I like the look of.

Comment

Working...
                              X