Airport security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport security

I had an interesting experience at the San Antonio TX airport security line yesterday. I never take my watch off, I sport a Blue sub, my wife however takes off her ladies datejust with diamond bezel and she put it in her boot. We went through the security line and she looked in her boot, the watch was gone! She started to panic, I told her to tell the lady looking at the security x-ray machine, then another lady behind us in line bent down under the moving belt and said, "is this the watch your looking for?" Thank you Lady! Yes she saved us. I think my wife's boot tipped over inside the machine, the watch fell out onto the belt, then the watch slipped through the rollers as the tray came out the x-ray machine. I sternly warned my wife not to take her watch off in the future, anybody else have a suggestion on how best to go through airport security? I did manage to keep calm only because I was too sick to care much at the time.

Back in the days when I used to fly occasionally I would never take off my watch or other jewelry. In my case they were far more interested in my pathetic prosthetic leg which they always suspected held a pipe bomb, or so they acted. Fortunately for me I now have no reason to be in an airport. My parents are gone, I have one brother in AZ who is a flaming jackass. I'd rather be the only woman on a Greek freighter than visit him, even if it is in AZ.

Comment

I put my watch loose in the tray along with my coins etc. Never had any problems.

Comment

I am always asked to take off my watch going through airport security so I always carry it through in my hand luggage in the clear plastic Rolex travel case my SD4000 came in.

Comment

I usually refuse to remove my watch when asked by security staff. It makes for an interesting stand-off.

Comment

I used to fly a lot. Spent the best part of 25 years flying round the world, and never once took my Rolex off. Never queried by security. Did have it queried once by Customs though. Went through the green channel and they stopped me. Had a short sleeved shirt on and they spotted the watch. Took it off me, went over to there computer and came back a couple of minutes later and said thank you Mr. B****t. I never told them my name and they never looked at my passport. Do they have a direct to Rolex records?

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am thinking that leaving it on the wrist is the best bet. I always do and my sub is much bigger than my wife's watch. I never have a bell ding, I just put my left hand forward and my right hand backward as I walk through the metal sensing gate, and even though I also have big rings and a large gold bracelet on my wrist, it never dings me, I just walk through like nothing. One time I was telling my wife of my little plan and the security officer made me hold my hands down at my sides, then it dinged me so now I just don't mention it and do it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by whipcracker View Post
                I had an interesting experience at the San Antonio TX airport security line yesterday. I never take my watch off, I sport a Blue sub, my wife however takes off her ladies datejust with diamond bezel and she put it in her boot. We went through the security line and she looked in her boot, the watch was gone! She started to panic, I told her to tell the lady looking at the security x-ray machine, then another lady behind us in line bent down under the moving belt and said, "is this the watch your looking for?" Thank you Lady! Yes she saved us. I think my wife's boot tipped over inside the machine, the watch fell out onto the belt, then the watch slipped through the rollers as the tray came out the x-ray machine. I sternly warned my wife not to take her watch off in the future, anybody else have a suggestion on how best to go through airport security? I did manage to keep calm only because I was too sick to care much at the time.
                Bloody hell!! That's pretty scary!

I just put my watch in a separate tray together with my wallet and phone.

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
                I usually refuse to remove my watch when asked by security staff. It makes for an interesting stand-off.
                Yikes! That's brave, Tony. I seriously would not want to get into any kind of stand-off with airport security.

Originally posted by grizwold225 View Post
                I used to fly a lot. Spent the best part of 25 years flying round the world, and never once took my Rolex off. Never queried by security. Did have it queried once by Customs though. Went through the green channel and they stopped me. Had a short sleeved shirt on and they spotted the watch. Took it off me, went over to there computer and came back a couple of minutes later and said thank you Mr. B****t. I never told them my name and they never looked at my passport. Do they have a direct to Rolex records?
                Unlikely. They probably checked you on CCTV linked to their passport records.

Comment

I usually take my watch off, along with any other metal stuff, put it in the plastic tray, and walk through the x-ray machine, making sure the watch and other metal stuff is on the top of any clothing etc.

That way I can see any "problems" that might occur but honestly I can say that I have never had a problem with Customs in 30 years of business and personal international travel.

Maybe I look trustworthy!

Comment

I generally take my watch off either. If I do it stays in my pocket

Slightly related: m'lady and I visited Istanbul a few years back and should one want to visit a Turkish bath, one turns up and is given everything one needs. They give you a mini sarong etc etc and a room in which to get changed and leave your stuff (!). I left my cash, cards and phone but could not bring myself to leave my watch. So kept it on

At the massage stage of the bath, dude wanted me to leave my watch on a table completely out of sight. I obviously declined his offer.

He must have thought I was very weird because i had my wife's LV on my right wrist as well as my watch on my left wrist. Wife's watch had the divers extension deployed

Comment

How were the birch twigs?

Comment

@bftd0: I thought birch twigs was used in Scandinavian countries after a hot sauna and quick dip in some frozen pool? Big burly men with even bigger moustaches, contorting you on a slab of marble like a piece of meat, now that's a Turkish bath!

Im always being told to take my watch off at airport security (as well as my belt), so I just put it in a tray or a jacket pocket which eventually goes into a tray. So the moral of the story is, use a tray.

Comment

Sauna and birch twigs are indivisible. Massage and sauna are indivisible. Hence massage and birch twigs are indivisible.

There is some logic in there really.......................

But that is probably a new thread!

Comment

Working...
                          X