Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

Need your help! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your help! :)

Hi all,

I'm picking up a second hand Rolex on Sunday, I'll be vetting the seller as I'm meeting in person. I have the serial number of the watch already (including pictures etc). I have validated that the serial number is genuine but I can't get any more out of Rolex. They seem distinctly unhelpful and won't even confirm the year of the watch (I didn't bother asking for the type). I'd like to validate the year at least to check it matches the paperwork style. Does anyone have any connections with our friendly Swiss company? Dealers don't seem to be able to help either.

Thanks, Tim

Since random numbers, Rolex don't want people to be able to tell the year from the serial number.
    If it is up to a V and old style serial then it can be checked on many reference guides.

I'd be checking the visible serial number on the rehault (if it has one) matches the serial on paperwork. That will confirm the year.
    You could always swing by an AD for them to have a peek as part of the transaction, but they likely won't confirm much. If the seller has something to hide they won't be keen to go near an AD, I'd be pretty sure of that.

Buying preowned from a seller you take your chances to save a bit of money.
    Otherwise I'd advise paying a bit more and buying from a dealer or AD...peace of mind.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

Bracelet clasp codes can give some indication of age --- they retained an encoded dating element for a little longer than the case numbers did. If you have a random case number watch with an LT or RS date code then I would suggest that it is most likely one of the earliest random case number watches, extending perhaps as far as 2011 or even 2012. They then changed to opaque clasp codings and one has to look for more subtle differences like developments in dial, bracelet and so on.

Be aware, of course, that bracelets can be easily swapped.

Personally (and writing as a dealer) a greater factor in price will be condition, where all else is equal between two watches. I'd certainly value a mint 2010 watch over a battered 2015 example.

Haywood

Comment

Watch is mint. Should be a 2016 but I'm not sure if those braclets can help determine the age. Any idea? Serial starts with 0Z

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

No. It may be difficult to establish if this one dates from 2012 or 2016.....which is excatly as Rolex intended. Some more info like the specific model and bracelet references might be useful, for example a 116233 Datejust on a 63200 Jubilee would be enough to tell me that this couldn't be a recent watch.
          Last edited by HaywoodMilton; 15th March 2017, 11:30 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of "specific"

Comment

116613LN 2016 (claimed). What I need is the exact year to work out if all of the paperwork / guarantee card match. They are accurate as per 2016 but if I can check the watch age exactly it'll give me a lot of confidence. I don't have pictures of the bracelet numbers but if you have something to check I can do what when I see the watch.

Comment

You're being extremely over cautious. All the watches I've bought and sold ive never done this nor has anyone done these checks with watches I've sold them.

Honestly, I think you should stick to an AD, otherwise you will over think everything.

Comment

Yep I'm paranoid! Maplin and Webb are willing to give the watch a once over so should be fine.

Comment

The thing is often ADs aren't experts. Sounds rediculous, but many times I've spoken to ADs and sadly I know more than the staff.
                  A few times I've sold watches and recommended to the buyer for their peace of mind that they're welcome to get it looked over. Twice we have gone into an AD and they've looked and said "looks lovely"
                  They won't get into serial numbers, clasp codes, bracelet codes etc.
                  They will want to keep themselves impartial and not get involved.....so they will give it a "once over" and only that.

Again I'd say buy from an AD and pay a bit more but sleep soundly. Otherwise you'll save a little but continue to be paranoid.
                  Either that or relax a bit, do a few basic checks and take your chances,

Comment

Originally posted by Nairn1980 View Post
                    The thing is often ADs aren't experts. Sounds rediculous, but many times I've spoken to ADs and sadly I know more than the staff.
                    A few times I've sold watches and recommended to the buyer for their peace of mind that they're welcome to get it looked over. Twice we have gone into an AD and they've looked and said "looks lovely"
                    They won't get into serial numbers, clasp codes, bracelet codes etc.
                    They will want to keep themselves impartial and not get involved.....so they will give it a "once over" and only that.

Again I'd say buy from an AD and pay a bit more but sleep soundly. Otherwise you'll save a little but continue to be paranoid.
                    Either that or relax a bit, do a few basic checks and take your chances,
                    Sound advice, Nairn.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I got the watch and it's all good.

It's incredible how close the replicas are now, other than the movement they're almost indistinguishable. I truly wish people wouldn't buy them at all, but what can you do!?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim F View Post
                        It's incredible how close the replicas are now...
                        Ahem...fakes, I think you meant to say...

Motre importantly, congrats on your new watch, Tim. Let's have a traditional Turf wristshot!

Comment

Sorry for the delay!! Blows my mind in real life. Everyone that see it notices!

Comment

That does look nice. You'll be looking st it all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim F View Post

Sorry for the delay!! Blows my mind in real life. Everyone that see it notices!
                              Looks great! Congrats and wear it in good health!

Comment

Working...
                              X