Basel 2017. What to expect from Rolex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basel 2017. What to expect from Rolex

I'm waiting to see what they do for 50 Anv. of Sea Dweller. Since they removed the SD 4K from inventory, I'm guessing a re-issue... bigger case is not going to happen. I hope it's more than a ****ing red lettering on the dial. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Just red lettering on a production model won't do anything for me. I have a 16600 and a ND Sub C. Besides the CC is in the freezer for the foreseeable future.

Comment

I have a number of Sub variations so am very interested to see whether they do anything new for the Sub anniversary at Baselworld.

And don't underestimate red lettering - those lucky folk that had Red Subs 40 years ago at list are probably very happy........

Perhaps they will introduce a slim 40mm case no crown guard 5508 or 5510 modern day version - who knows!

I will however endeavour to keep you all informed!

Comment

I have a 9.9/10.0 condition double red, a 666 Matt dial transitional SD and DeepSea Dweller.. as you can tell I love the Sea Dwellers... if Rolex does the Anv Sea Dweller right Santa could be bringing in something real nice again this year ;-)

Comment

The first Sea Dweller was introduced in 1967 thus making it 50th anniversary this year...

Comment

There's a teaser on their site now for a couple of models. I'll be happy if they discontinue the SD4000 as I have one and think it is the perfect watch.

https://www.rolex.com/?s_kwcid=AL!14...170317124700:s

Comment

Originally posted by JasT View Post
              I'm waiting to see what they do for 50 Anv. of Sea Dweller. Since they removed the SD 4K from inventory, I'm guessing a re-issue... bigger case is not going to happen. I hope it's more than a ****ing red lettering on the dial. Keeping my fingers crossed.
              It appears to be still in-situ

https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dweller.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gazoak View Post
                There's a teaser on their site now for a couple of models. I'll be happy if they discontinue the SD4000 as I have one and think it is the perfect watch.

https://www.rolex.com/?s_kwcid=AL!14...170317124700:s

The teaser slide shows a dial with a date magnifier at 3. Something odd going on with the bezel though.

To be honest, I would see the Deepsea model as being nixed due to it being a) a really slow seller b) oversized and over-engineered c) pretty out of proportion for most people to actually wear (apart from the 0.00001% of the population that are actually working divers).

The SD4K was the response by Rolex to keep the Seadweller name by bringing back a sensibly sized divers watch which has a few design points to distinguish it from the previous incarnation. Apart from the quite elevated price (£6,250 for a Sub Date vs £8,900 for a SD4K) the SD4K has more appeal for the majority of potential Rolex wearers.

Comment

Like many, I suspect, what I'd really like is a stainless steel version of the 116719BLRO, and a nice bit of red writing on the Sea dweller. If that came to pass I'd but both of them Iif I'm still alive buy the time I get to the top of ze lists).

Otherwise, i really don't mind - only two of my collection are Rolex (one old, one new) and I'm really not wedded to the brand.

Comment

Personally I feel it's more than a trifle undignified for Rolex to play into the guessing game with their teaser photos. The stinking Twitterverse is probably going nuts with speculation. Next week they will release their new items, discontinue what they wish, and life goes on.

​As to the DSSD I do find it massive, but not tough to manage with a properly adjusted bracelet or strap. I love the blue dial, and since it replaced a Breitling of about the same size, it fits into my collection. I am not wedded to the brand either, but have a few Rolexes all of which serve a different purpose or desire for me.

Comment

looks like there are a coupe of teasers... one with etc 3 O'clock magnifier and the strange marker on the bezel and then another which looks to be a chrono as it's got 2 buttons on the crown side...

Comment

Interesting couple of teasers, hope they're available in steel

Comment

I am at the most uninterested level ever in my days of following watches.

I just hope I get to bag a few of the new bastards to top up my measly pension!

Comment

Site says March 22nd unveiling :-)

Comment

I'm really liking the 40mm day date. Use to think that day date is an old man's watch, that means I must be getting old. Lol

White gold with the 60th Anv green dial...

Comment

Working...
                              X