Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

New Steel & White Gold Sky Dweller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Blue dial:

    Comment


    • #17
      And my personal favourite:

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by xelor View Post
        I understand what you are saying re the white gold bezel, but unless I'm mistaken, only the smooth bezel comes in steel - the fluted bezel is always gold. I also think the design function of the bezel requires some type of grip which you probably won't get from a smooth bezel. Also, given this is £25k cheaper than an all white gold model, I suspect this is going to be the cheapest price point for the Sky Dweller.
        I agree - my point however is that it is not a technical issue that prevents making the fluted bezel out of stainless steel. Rolex make bezels from stainless steel - they have chosen not to make a fluted one for this model.

        And just for comparison, let's see what the extra 2k gets in terms of YG:

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

          ...my point however is that it is not a technical issue that prevents making the fluted bezel out of stainless steel. Rolex make bezels from stainless steel - they have chosen not to make a fluted one for this model.
          That's not the point, Michael.
          Other (non-sports) bezels ie smooth, milled, can be made from non-precious metals.
          But the fluted bezel on any Rolex has always been made from a precious metal.

          So you're right - it's not a technical issue; but it is an issue of historical continuity on this iconic element of Rolex design.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by harb View Post
            That's not the point, Michael.
            Other (non-sports) bezels ie smooth, milled, can be made from non-precious metals.
            But the fluted bezel on any Rolex has always been made from a precious metal.

            So you're right - it's not a technical issue; but it is an issue of historical continuity on this iconic element of Rolex design.
            And the price differential doesn't hurt Rolex either.......................

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

              And the price differential doesn't hurt Rolex either.......................
              Plus ça change...

              Comment


              • #22
                They do look superb. I don't think the white gold bezel will make it too delicate for everyday use.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Jrpippen View Post
                  They do look superb. I don't think the white gold bezel will make it too delicate for everyday use.

                  No, definitely not. My first Rolex was a SS Datejust with a WG fluted bezel. That watch was my daily beater (before I had even heard the term "beater" applied to a watch) for 4 years before I traded it in for a GMT2. I never had any worries about wearing it in any situation.

                  I am looking forward to getting my hands on a SkyDweller..........................hopefully at some point this century!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X