Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

New Steel & White Gold Sky Dweller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue dial:

Comment

And my personal favourite:

Comment

Originally posted by xelor View Post
        I understand what you are saying re the white gold bezel, but unless I'm mistaken, only the smooth bezel comes in steel - the fluted bezel is always gold. I also think the design function of the bezel requires some type of grip which you probably won't get from a smooth bezel. Also, given this is £25k cheaper than an all white gold model, I suspect this is going to be the cheapest price point for the Sky Dweller.
        I agree - my point however is that it is not a technical issue that prevents making the fluted bezel out of stainless steel. Rolex make bezels from stainless steel - they have chosen not to make a fluted one for this model.

And just for comparison, let's see what the extra 2k gets in terms of YG:

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

...my point however is that it is not a technical issue that prevents making the fluted bezel out of stainless steel. Rolex make bezels from stainless steel - they have chosen not to make a fluted one for this model.
          That's not the point, Michael.
          Other (non-sports) bezels ie smooth, milled, can be made from non-precious metals.
          But the fluted bezel on any Rolex has always been made from a precious metal.

So you're right - it's not a technical issue; but it is an issue of historical continuity on this iconic element of Rolex design.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
            That's not the point, Michael.
            Other (non-sports) bezels ie smooth, milled, can be made from non-precious metals.
            But the fluted bezel on any Rolex has always been made from a precious metal.

So you're right - it's not a technical issue; but it is an issue of historical continuity on this iconic element of Rolex design.
            And the price differential doesn't hurt Rolex either.......................

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

And the price differential doesn't hurt Rolex either.......................
              Plus ça change...

Comment

They do look superb. I don't think the white gold bezel will make it too delicate for everyday use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrpippen View Post
                  They do look superb. I don't think the white gold bezel will make it too delicate for everyday use.

No, definitely not. My first Rolex was a SS Datejust with a WG fluted bezel. That watch was my daily beater (before I had even heard the term "beater" applied to a watch) for 4 years before I traded it in for a GMT2. I never had any worries about wearing it in any situation.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on a SkyDweller..........................hopefully at some point this century!

Comment

Working...
                  X