Announcement

Collapse

Important changes in the Market Place

Please note that the Private Sales and Trades board has a maximum allowance of 1 listing per week. Any Member wishing to list more than this limit should post in the Dealers' Corner board.
All commercial sellers/dealers are required to post their sales listings in Dealers' Corner.
See more
See less

To polish or not....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To polish or not....

My 2008 transitional Explorer 2 is off to Seth for a service tomorrow and I need to make a decision on polishing.

It has never been polished so nice sharp lines etc, however the case and bracelet would benefit from a light polish.

I'm sure most will say keep it completely unpolished but would appreciate Turfers views before I decide for sure.

Thanks

Simon

I think the polish or not to polish debate usually refers to vintage examples, I personally would have it given a light polish to get rid of the swirlies and light scratches to bring it back to as new condition.

Comment

If there are any major scratches that need taking out, that is one thing. But if it is only general wear and tear, I would leave it alone. Even if you have it done, you will just pick up more micro-scratches the minute you wear it again.

Comment

Yes re vintage although it seems to be spreading, I quite like the fact I don't want to baby it as its by no means perfect, however it is a tool watch after all.

Only annoyance is the flip lock doesn't close tightly as the metal nibs have worn down over the years.

Comment

Get it polished. Seth does a phenomenal job and your watch will look and feel as new.

Originally posted by SimonBash View Post
          Only annoyance is the flip lock doesn't close tightly as the metal nibs have worn down over the years.
          Do you mean the Oysterlock clasp, ie the secondary fold-over clasp that secures the main Oysterclasp blades?

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
            Get it polished. Seth does a phenomenal job and your watch will look and feel as new.

Do you mean the Oysterlock clasp, ie the secondary fold-over clasp that secures the main Oysterclasp blades?
            Yes that's a much better explanation Harb!

Comment

When i was younger i was keen on polishing everything, even vintage ones. Now that im older i still feel the same way ;-).

Polishing out light scratches will make the watch pop again.

Comment

Keep as is

My wife's LV went for service a year or two back and came back looking new. They must have taken a fair bit of metal off which sits uneasy with me. Not just that, the battle scars on a watch tell a story

I think of it like this. If it is an MOT fail, get it done. If it is merely cosmetic, it adds to the pedigree of the watch and should be left alone

Comment

Easy - polish it. It'll come back new.

Comment

IMHO a gentle polish doesn't hurt at all.

Comment

So...did you decide on the polish, Simon?

Comment

I don't have my Rolexes polished. None of my watches are daily wearers and I am always conscious of the watch in my activities.

Comment

I decided not to in the end Harb as I like that I won't baby it as it sports some war wounds.

Thanks for all the input guys :-)

Can't wait to get it back from Seth, as I can't wear it I'm desperate to!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonBash View Post
                            I decided not to in the end Harb as I like that I won't baby it as it sports some war wounds.

Thanks for all the input guys :-)

Can't wait to get it back from Seth, as I can't wear it I'm desperate to!
                            Maybe next time, eh...?!

Comment

Working...
                            X