Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen Sub Date - advice please!

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests my beloved stainless steel sub date (16610T model) was stolen yesterday, some scumbag took it from my gym locker at a David Lloyd gym here in the UK.

To say that I am gutted would be an understatement, I loved that watch and have worn it pretty much everyday for the past 11 years (ironically with the exception of when I swim at the gym hence the theft yesterday). I know you guys will appreciate my loss more than most as Rolex lovers, hence why I have come here!

I actually bought the watch via a forum member on newturfers called ROLEXROZ, he was fantastic to deal with and I bought the watch from him back in the summer of 2006.

Anyway I was just looking for some advice regarding anything that I should be doing in terms of the theft. So far I have let the police know and the gym management but really am not holding out any hope that it will turn up. I was also going to report it to Rolex directly if this is possible just in case it ever comes in to them for a service in the future as presume they would check this?

I notice the new model of sub date has changed, not sure if I like it so much but interested to hear any thoughts on this for those that have owned both. Unfortunately I do not have a receipt of purchase for the watch (it was an exchange sale via post with Rod at the time) and so am a little worried about how my insurance company will take this. Also I note that a new sub is now over double the price I paid for mine back in 2006, not sure how this would work with the insurance company payout either.

Anyway guys any advice that you can offer would be greatly received, right now I feel like part of my body is missing a get a sickening feeling every time I glance down at my wrist and see it is not there anymore :-(

Best,
    Tim

Gutted for you mate

There's a database of stolen watches in addition to the Rolex register. It is called safergems. I think Rolex will only take your serial number on to their database if you have a crime reference number.

Some watches are stolen in violent situations​ and thankfully yours wasn't. I guess that's some consolation

Still gutted for you.

I hope you get your watch back or another. Maybe Rod can sort you out again

Comment

Thank you I really appreciate the thought, yes guess it could have been worse although at least I could have put up a fight to keep my pride and joy!

Comment

I am truly sorry to hear of this theft. I've been around a lot of years and I still can't believe some of the things that people do to each other.

I have an older style SD and a newer style ND Sub. At first I was put off by the larger case but I have no issue with it now. I enjoy both of them. I hope you can get a new one and don't worry about the size. It's very wearable and comfortable.

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the feedback, new watch does look lovely too!

Hi Tim,

Horrible to hear, as has been said it could have been worse.

Regarding insurance, have you specified it on your home insurance noting the serial number and an up to date replacement value?

I work in that industry so happy to offer any advice if you need any help from one watch guy to another.

All the best.

Simon

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Simon, it was on my house insurance (M&S) but not sure that we had noted the serial or up to date replacement value. I do have the original box with all paperwork and a Rolex service receipt and card from 2011. I also have many recent holiday pictures of me wearing the watch. Now that I have the crime reference number I was going to contact them. Any additional advice gratefully received! My worry is that they will not pay out sufficiently for me to purchase another outright.

Rotten news. So sorry to hear this.

Apart from the obvious potential to claim on your home insurance policy, which could well cover valuables such as a watch even outside the home, there is also the potential to claim against the gym's insurance for allowing it to be stolen.

Just get on the phone to your insurer as a matter of priority - after having received a crime reference number from the police of course. The insurer will know the price of a new Rolex.

Re new versus old - I am a big fan of the pre-ceramic Submariner - I have a 5512, a 5517, a 1680, a 168000 and a 16610 - but I never quite got the ceramic Sub - the case shape and lugs are quite different. My only ceramic sports model is the recently-discontinued SD4K, but it retains the case/lug profile of the classic Sub/SD.

So if the insurer offers you the cash, you could pick up a 10-12 year old 16610 with box and papers for about £4.5-£5k - well under the new 116610 cost.

It is worth giving Rolex the details of the stolen watch. Although I believe they do not keep the same stolen register as they did before, it demonstrates you are a responsible Rolex owner. It is also worth posting the serial number of the watch on this forum and any other watch forums you are a member of - you have nothing to lose and there is a faint possibility the watch could re-emerge if it ever is sent into service at some point.

Good luck with the search and let us know how this plays out!

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Again thanks for your comments I really appreciate it. Wow lucky you with so many beautiful watches I am jealous! What are your thoughts on buying a 10 year old Rolex, I note that there are plenty on sale at places like Watchfinders but would be very nervous making a purchase through one of these companies in terms of quality and correct servicing intervals of the watch. Actually I have always loved the Kermit sub date but note that they are more expensive than the standard sub. Have you bought second hand and do you mind if I ask where from?

That does suck big time.

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed, still can't believe it has gone :-(

Gutted for you ,

The usual advice CCTV at the gym ? Police and Insurance ,

Rolex UK Ask for Jane Bishop she is the only person in the UK Rolex team who handles lost and stolen , It is no longer the case you can call Rolex UK and check a serial number but when watches are taken for service they do actually input the serial number and if it is listed as stolen ,The system red flags the watch.

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you will drop Jane a line to report the loss

This is awful and thoughts are with you.

Having been on holiday recently at our timeshare village with a pool etc, I hide and lock away all valuable items at the cottage/apartment . This includes wallet, Rolex, iPhone etc. I would never leave items of value in my locker. These lockers are easily opened with poor locks and gyms and pools etc are often targeted. (Not that this would happen where I was, but it's just a precaution I always take). I would even say your watch wrapped in a cloth and locked in the car glovebox is safer.

I also ensure our Rolex watches are listed on home insurance individually and are covered away from the home. Each Rolex has a photo of the watch, receipt, warranty card/papers and I ensure the photo is taken visibly in my own home. These photos are backed up to the cloud.

I appreciate many of that advice will not help now, but may in the future if/when you replace your watch.

As above I'd follow the advice given about who to contact and fingers crossed you have a sympathetic insurer.

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate the advice. There is no question that I had become complaisant when it came to security of the watch both at home and when travelling. I have learnt the hard way and will not make the same mistake again.

I don't have anything to add to the very good advice given by others above, but I really am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Comment

• Timmyr1
          Timmyr1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you Harb - do you happen to know if Rolexroz is still trading atall?

Give rolexroz a PM and I'm sure he will do what he can to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmyr1 View Post
          Thank you Harb - do you happen to know if Rolexroz is still trading atall?
          Drop him a PM using our forum messaging system and I'm sure he'll get in touch.

Comment

Got the PM thanks.

There are some bad folk out there. But maybe, just maybe it will turn up.

Comment

Sorry to hear yet another case of this happening. Much better to wear your Rolex at the gym / pool, it seems, as the baddies find rich pickings in locker rooms.

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but would you please publish the case number of the stolen watch? Getting that onto a few watch fora can help.

As for the Safergems / Checkmend UK Register of stolen watches, if you can direct message me with all the details including crime reference number and the name / number / contact details of the police officer dealing with it, I can have it added to the list.

Good luck,

Haywood M

Comment

Originally posted by HaywoodMilton View Post
                Sorry to hear yet another case of this happening. Much better to wear your Rolex at the gym / pool, it seems, as the baddies find rich pickings in locker rooms.

I'm sorry if I've missed it, but would you please publish the case number of the stolen watch? Getting that onto a few watch fora can help.

As for the Safergems / Checkmend UK Register of stolen watches, if you can direct message me with all the details including crime reference number and the name / number / contact details of the police officer dealing with it, I can have it added to the list.

Good luck,

Haywood M

Thanks details as follows:
                Serial number: D505036
                Model reference: 16610T
                Date of theft: 18 April 2017

Comment

Working...
                X