Advice: moonwarch water ingress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice: moonwarch water ingress

Hi, wore my relatively new omega moonwatch (healite glass) on a swim in a freshwater lake. Thought it was ok to do this. For 24hrs afterwards there was a mist of condensed water on inside of glass. It cleared completely within 2days. Watch working as normal.

Was I a numpty for swimming with it? Is this indicative of a watch fault that needs omega service? Do I just carry on as if nothing has happened?

Ta in advance

Omega tests every watch they produce to the specified depth rating, so if your speedmaster is tested to 50m depth and you didn't go deeper than 50m, you weren't a numpty for swimming with it. I would go back to the dealer and raise the condensation issue though, if it is under warranty, as the apparent water ingress could lead to rust in the movement, and it shouldn't be fogging up anyway in the circumstances you describe.

Oddly enough, I tend to regards the 100m rating as my minimum standard for showering and swimming with a watch. Up to that point, I would not expose the watch to that level of water. Better safe than sorry!

Comment

Just pulled out paperwork. Omega give a 2y international warranty. Mine was bought May 2015. Damn, just out by months. Feel bitter because in 2.5 y of ownership it's been worn no more than 2-3 months.

Wonder if I should take back to Watches of Switzerland claiming consumer law protection?

Comment

I'm not sure what consumer law protection you'd be relying on, but good luck if you try.

I have a moonwatch and wouldn't dream of swimming in it (nor would anyone else I know that has one). Why take the chance if you don't have to?

(Then again, I have plenty of sports watches with fantastic WR but wear a G-Shock in the pool/sea.

Comment

Well, its sold as water resistant to 5bar. Seems to me mine is not behaving as sold. I believe in England you have 6y of protection

Comment

50m water resistance isn't something that I'd want to take swimming. Having it on whilst taking a shower fair enough, but not swimming. At 30m resistance, I'd not even risk baths or showers, rather look at it as suitable to keep on when washing my hands or getting it a bit wet in the rain. To go swimming with a watch I'd want it to be at least 10bar rated.

Comment

Originally posted by riaz View Post
              Well, its sold as water resistant to 5bar. Seems to me mine is not behaving as sold. I believe in England you have 6y of protection
              I believe this is what Omega themselves say about watches with a 50m WR: "Moderate exposure to moisture will not damage the watch". That said, to comply with ISO 22810 you should be able to partake in surface swimming with it, without the watch sustaining damage.

Notwithstanding the above, I certainly wouldn't swim in mine.
              Last edited by learningtofly; 3rd September 2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Horses for Courses methinks, I wouldn't go to the Moon with my seadweller!

Comment

Originally posted by bobdog View Post
                  Horses for Courses methinks, I wouldn't go to the Moon with my seadweller!
                  The Moon is overrated. I went once, but came back as there's just no atmosphere.

Comment

Eeeh what we like!

Comment

LOL.
                      Given watch is behaving as normal. SHould I even bother making an issue of it? Is there any risk of watch damage if I just carry on. It was a freshwater lake. Surface swim only. I presume should dry out and if keeping normal time, I can just continue to wear it as normal just remembering not to put it in water

Comment

You could always put it in a bag with fresh cat litter to absorb ant remaining moisture.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                          You could always put it in a bag with fresh cat litter to absorb ant remaining moisture.
                          Rice is the defacto solution, Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
                            Rice is the defacto solution, Chris.
                            I know people suggest rice, but cat litter has a far greater surface area and should absorb moisture more efficiently.

It's also good for helping to stop a car from fogging-up inside.

Comment

Originally posted by riaz View Post
                              LOL.
                              Given watch is behaving as normal. SHould I even bother making an issue of it? Is there any risk of watch damage if I just carry on. It was a freshwater lake. Surface swim only. I presume should dry out and if keeping normal time, I can just continue to wear it as normal just remembering not to put it in water

As the watch is OK, I would keep using it as normal (but for me that would be taking it off while showering and definitely not swimming with it!).

Comment

Working...
                              X