What is it with Rolex and shooting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with Rolex and shooting?

So I spent today doing some clay pigeon shooting (sporting). All great fun and as it was a hot day it wasn't hard to notice what the other 6 members of the group were wearing on their wrists. Of the 7 shooters, there was me and Mrs bfltd0 (a number of Rollies between us but not actually today!). Of the other 5, one had a TT white dial Daytona, another had a SS black dial Daytona, another had a SS white dial Daytona, another (a female) wore a mid-size TT Yachtmaster and the final shooter had a PP Nautilus 5726.

Apart from the Mrs, I had only met met 1 of these individuals before, so it wasn't as if they all thought "we're seeing the bfltd0s today, let's wear nice watches"! As we were there for the shooting, conversation revolved around guns, cartridges, accessories etc and it was only at the end of the shoot that we had a quick chat about Rolexes. Incredibly we all quickly agreed that Panerai were over-priced and under-engineered............

Have any other TURFers found themselves in a situation with a surprisingly large number of Rollies being worn (TURF dinners not to be referenced!)?

Last edited by bfltd0; 1st September 2017, 07:53 PM.

When I go down the Dog and Ferret for a game of dominoes a lot of the clientele wear Rolex but then they holiday in Turkey.

Comment

I suspect you might see a similar phenomenon in some communities in some Spanish coastal developments!

Comment

I find an amazing number of Rolex inside a tiny room at my local clothing emporium. It's weird, I select some clothes, step inside this tiny room, turn to view the clothes and there are all these people that look strangely like me and all wearing the same Rolex! Amazing,if a little confusing!

Comment

I don't know about Rolex and shooting. I never wear a watch when shooting unless it's just a 22. Why take a risk of damage and some of the hand cannons I shoot are quite stout in recoil. I don't care what time it is anyway. I wear the watch to the range and lock it in the car. I rarely see any quality watches since I associate with my kind, derelicts, low-lifes losers and bums.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
            I don't know about Rolex and shooting. I never wear a watch when shooting unless it's just a 22. Why take a risk of damage and some of the hand cannons I shoot are quite stout in recoil. I don't care what time it is anyway. I wear the watch to the range and lock it in the car. I rarely see any quality watches since I associate with my kind, derelicts, low-lifes losers and bums.
            I was going to say - Michael clearly moves in circles most of us only dream about

Oh, hang on...

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
              I was going to say - Michael clearly moves in circles most of us only dream about

Oh, hang on...

Not sure which is worse! Me moving in circles or you dreaming about it!

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

Not sure which is worse! Me moving in circles or you dreaming about it!
                I know - I need a hobby.

Comment

Are they ever decreasing circles?

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                    Have any other TURFers found themselves in a situation with a surprisingly large number of Rollies being worn (TURF dinners not to be referenced!)?
                    Not quite the same, but a Rolex seemed to be the watch of choice of the water-taxi drivers in Venice when we visited a few years ago.
                    Then again, considering their fares, I wasn't surprised!

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Not quite the same, but a Rolex seemed to be the watch of choice of the water-taxi drivers in Venice when we visited a few years ago.
                      Then again, considering their fares, I wasn't surprised!
                      I thought that they worked for just one Cornetto!

Comment

These days it is "Just one Cellini".

Comment

Last month I went clay pigeon shooting for the first time in years and I was also surprised at the number of Rolex worn- maybe 12 in a group of about 50. Interestingly all were ss sports, mainly gmts(one had the batman)1 daytona and a couple of subs. All were worn by men in their late 60's. Nobody my age (40's) or younger was wearing one.

Comment

Thank you Simon for that encouraging post. Over many years, I have seen many shooters who also were into watches. That really is the point I was making. The cost of a decent shotgun is pretty on par with a Rolex sports watch, and rises exponentially if you go into top London makers............

Interestingly of the 5 other shooters in the group, the Nautilus wearer was in his late 50s, 3 of the other were 40s and the TT Daytona wearer was in his late 20s/early 30s and was an annoyingly good shot, since he had only been shooting a matter of months!

Comment

Maybe it's a skeet/trap thing, or a UK thing. When I shoot at the indoor range, I rarely see high-end watches. I see low-end military/tactical-styled watches, and those overwrought metal monstrosities like I see for sale in auto magazines. Once I'm on the range, my watches go in my pocket. They don't need to be repeatedly concussed.

Comment

Working...
                              X