Last Kickstarter (for today) - Yadu extreme diver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Kickstarter (for today) - Yadu extreme diver

So having recently backed an aviator, here is a pure diver. Clearly based on a number of well-known references, this is kind of an homage watch but one that goes further (or actually deeper) than many of the competition.

This is built out of the standard 316L stainless steel and sports a a 44mm case with 22mm lugs, weighing in at a hefty 247g with the stainless steel bracelet and there is a thick domed sapphire glass with AR coating (but no date magnifier). It is depth rated at a whopping 300 ATM. Yup you read that right - not the standard 300m (30 ATM), you could strap this puppy on and dive down to 3,000m or roughly 9,900 feet. Of course, your body would have imploded long before you get there...............

As is required at that depth, there is a helium escape valve on the side of the case at 9. The maxi dial and hands have BGW9 luminous. There is a 120 click unidirectional ceramic bezel with the milsub style markers. The engine on this one is the Seiko NH35 with the straightforward 3 hands and a date. The model comes in a range of SS, PVD Black, PVD YG/SS, PVD RG/SS and all PVD YG.

So what makes this any different from the competition? Well, frankly, not a great deal apart from the ability to design and manufacture a dive watch, from scratch, to match the operational performance of established makers, but at a price point way below the several thousands of pounds/dollars normally charged for these behemoths. For around USD 325, this watch is remarkable value for money.

So for the photos:

Rubber strap option:

Link is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...feet-3000-mete

Intriguing, especially with the Seiko movement.

Comment

I looked at that but couldn't get past Yadu of Sweden across the dial. The have been a few deep sea watches on KS recently, so there seems to be more capability of manufacture lately.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
        I looked at that but couldn't get past Yadu of Sweden across the dial. The have been a few deep sea watches on KS recently, so there seems to be more capability of manufacture lately.

Have a look at the comments section of this one.........................

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
          ....the ability to design and manufacture a dive watch, from scratch, to match the operational performance of established makers, but at a price point way below the several thousands of pounds/dollars normally charged for these behemoths. For around USD 325...
          If something sounds too good to be true...

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
          ...so there seems to be more capability of manufacture lately.
          Yeah, so they say.
          Excuse my cynicism, but I'm calling BS on this one!

Not that the owner will ever need the He release valve or depth rating (..and I recognise that almost every owner of any dive watch doesn't) but we're taking it on the company's word that the tech works!
          I also recognise that there's no easy way for an owner to check veracity of these claims, but this is fairly advanced engineering being offered for mere pennies. Doesn't ring true to me.

All the above notwithstanding my distaste for so-called homage watches, in which category I would firmly place this.

Comment

Careful Harb, those splinters up your backside from sitting on the fence might need surgical removal!

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
              All the above notwithstanding my distaste for so-called homage watches, in which category I would firmly place this.
              Best not mention those Steinharts in the safe then!

Comment

It just looks too similar to any Rolex dive watch to be anything other than lazy from a design perspective. Some of the other KS watches look pretty interesting design wise & it's a shame they didn't try to be more creative.

Comment

I agree it is very similar to the Deepsea and that is kind of my point. My curiosity is piqued as to why Rolex can push out the Deepsea based on a massive depth rating, and advanced engineering, at over £8k when, if it is real, the Yadu will do essentially the same job for a tiny fraction of the price.

And I can't believe the price differential is just taken up with the Rolex movement vs the NH35...........

Comment

It does seem a bit too good to be true, even when compared to some of the other KS projects with the same movement. Were I convinced by the team behind it, it would make an extremely cheap substitute for a DS.

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                      I agree it is very similar to the Deepsea and that is kind of my point. My curiosity is piqued as to why Rolex can push out the Deepsea based on a massive depth rating, and advanced engineering, at over £8k when, if it is real, the Yadu will do essentially the same job for a tiny fraction of the price.

And I can't believe the price differential is just taken up with the Rolex movement vs the NH35...........
                      Is there any real world evidence that proves the depth rating of the Yadu? that said, even if they can prove it, that to me is not a reason to suggest the Rolex is perhaps overpriced or that the Yadu is great value. The bracelet on the Yadu clearly (to my eyes at least) has push pins instead of screws for the links & definitely doesn't have the superb glidelock system. Just my 2p worth.

Comment

Bearing in mind the nature of Kickstarter, the design will not have been tested in real life. Having said that, each and every Rolex Deepsea has not been tested to 3,900m in real life before being sold. I have asked the creators how they arrived at the 3000m designation and how they have tested the prototypes at that level.

The cost behind the glidelock would impact the overall price for the Yadu. Equally, there is no guarantee with screws vs pushpins for the links. I recently backed a great dive watch that, in real life while being worn, had problems with pins dropping out during wear and the watch falling off the wrist. Loctite was recommended!

Comment

This is from the Rolex website - I'm sure there is significant cost in doing this.

DEEPSEA TEST TANK
                          Extreme depths
                          To guarantee the water resistance of the Rolex Deepsea divers' watch to the extreme depth of 3,900 metres (12,800 feet), Rolex tests every single one made in a specially designed high-performance tank. This stainless steel hyperbaric tank is cast in a single piece and weighs 1.3 tonnes. It simulates the pressure at 4,875 metres (16,000 feet) below sea level, some 25 percent greater than the depth indicated on the dial. At this depth, the force exerted upon the watch is equivalent to a weight of 4.5 tonnes. This test could be destructive, meaning that the slightest weakness in a watch would cause it to implode. Obviously, all Rolex Deepsea watches offered for sale have survived it.

Comment

According to the designers, its depth rating has been successfully tested on a water resistance machine, ranging from 1000m-3000m. So who knows how many methods there are to test water resistance and who has access to them and at what cost?

Sounds like all the Yadu models would be tested that way, once produced, but I will check on that!

Comment

Working...
                            X