"Unusual" watch...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unusual" watch...

Well, not really unusual, but I didn't recognize a watch that a guy at our monthly gun club lunch was wearing. It looked like an analog display, very bright, pretty smooth second hand. I asked about it and it was some kind of "smart" watch (not Apple) and it was linked to his stinking phone. So out comes the phone and he shows me his pulse rate, altimeter, barometer, etc. Had to bother me with videos that were postage stamp sized from the hurricane.

​Sorry, I just don't get it. This nice man is about 75, has pretty bad shakes, and admittedly is "addicted" to these devices. I showed him my DJ41 with the MOP diamond dial. Didn't care of course.

​Sorry, I am as repulsed by these things as much as others are addicted. I stop at a red light and most of the time there is something playing with their stinking phone to my left, right, in front or behind me.

​Apologies for the rant and I know I am the only person on God's green earth who eschews these things, but give me a watch, not a "device."

Funny but I have had absolutely no interest in purchasing a smartwatch! Absolutely I have a smartphone, but I do try to use it so it doesn't impinge on anyone else's life.

As an instructor, I had to learn to ask students to turn their phones onto silent, but then I had to increase the limits to asking them to not bring their smartwatches into the lecture room! This was after I found several students looking at their wrists a lot!

People are generally entranced by technology, even if they can only operate a percentage of the functionality!

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
      Funny but I have had absolutely no interest in purchasing a smartwatch!
      Ditto.

I like and enjoy technology, but have no interest or need for a smartwatch.
      My phone sits on my desk or is with me almost all the time.

But I also like the admittedly anachronistic pleasure of having a piece of mechanical engineering on my wrist - even though I may get through a whole day without looking at it...

Comment

he's 75, has bad shakes and still shoots... i'd be more worried by that!

Comment

Ralph, agreed. I have never been to the range with him, but would be very cautious if I saw him there. No that I'm retired I pick the slow times to go shooting, no weekends as previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
            No that I'm retired I pick the slow times to go shooting, no weekends as previously.

Now that is a real benefit of being retired!

Comment

I think that over the years technology has become our masters rather than the other way round. The number of people who are transfixed to the tiny screens when there is a whole world in font of them does annoy me. Nothing brought that home when I was on holiday visiting a beautiful old city and all you got was millennials staring at their screens instead of admiring whats around them and interacting with others. How much of life do they miss because they want to read and answer a text message? Instant gratification is part of the problem here.

Comment

I put a crowbar to my wallet and bought special glasses for $1.49 to watch the eclipse in August. I went outside of the work bldg. to view it. There were about a dozen people from another business in the bldg. out there as well. I was the only one with the glasses. They were all watching it on their phones and selecting what music to play during the event. The celestial event was not the focus, it was the stinking device.

Yes, people don't interact with others anymore. The device has become the intermediary. Are people now more connected, or less?

Comment

And yet, the tiny, multifaceted device does making coming on Turf so much easier and more convenient!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                    And yet, the tiny, multifaceted device does making coming out on Turf so much easier and more convenient!

Sorry???!!!!

Comment

Well, how many people use a PC to Turf, vs a smartphone, tablet, or other such device?

Comment

I cannot see me ever with a smart watch.
                        The more I see 'progression' in technology the more it pushes me in the other direction.
                        I have conflicting views on phones,found facebook just wastes time so got rid of that but then sucked into Instagram. That will go soon I would imagine.
                        Main reason I would say for my phone is work happy to leave it at home when at weekends with family. Likewise if I am found with people ,phone often gets left in hotel room or in the car as I don't want phones interrupting time with friends and family

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                          Well, how many people use a PC to Turf, vs a smartphone, tablet, or other such device?
                          Chris, read my quote in the post. Just an example of what technology can do......

Comment

Working...
                          X