Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Over the coming few days, you'll see some changes happening to the forum.

Please see here for more details: http://www.newturfers.com/vb/forum/g...g-on-the-forum
See more
See less

Review Rolex Submariner 14060M

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review Rolex Submariner 14060M

The Rolex No Date Submariner ( 14060M-Current Model) is the classic divers watch. It is very simple and elegant and James Bond wore it ( What else can I say?)

The Dial: The black dial is clean , thanks to not having a date and not being COSC certified. It removed the words " Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified" It is easy to read in all conditions.

The Hands: The black dial makes reading the time very easy to do.

The Bezel: The uni-directional Bezel is great for keeping track of elapsed time or to track a second time zone.

The Bracelet: The fact that it has a non SEL bracelet doesnt really make too much of a difference. Yes, the bracelet does rattle a little bit but it hardly matters when you are wearing the watch. The watch also looks great when worn with a NATO strap.

Comfort: The Watch is comfortable to wear and fits snugly on the wrist

Pricing: Well priced at around USD3500 ( retail) and has good resale value.

Overall impression: This is one of the simplest , cleanest Rolexes around. It is perfect for someone who enjoys simplicity. A great watch for everyday wear and a must have in every collection.

Score : 8/10

Final word: The simple watch for the guy who appreciates a classic.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Rolesium

Submariner Review

Make: Rolex
    Model: Submariner 14060M
    Serial: Y930xxx
    Purchased New: December 2005
    Current List: $3,800.00

Overview:

IMHO, this is the ultimate men's wristwatch. I've read that a man's watch should be his best piece of jewelry, since we don't (or shouldn't) wear earrings, brooches, necklaces, jeweled rings, etc. etc., as do women. Of course, if a man lives in Las Vegas, he is exempt from such constraints :-). The Submariner fills the bill perfectly.

The Submariner features a lustrously glossy dial that is free of the COSC verbiage, "Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified" that graces the dial of the Submariner Date. While the COSC cert has its value, the two-fewer lines of printing on the dial allow more space for the engagingly lustrous glossy black finish on the dial to show. I like this a lot.

There is no date window, making the dial perfectly symmetrical. The markers at 9:00 and 3:00 match up.

The hands and markers are made of 18K white gold. As I understand it, the tritium luminous material that was originally used would erode steel markers and hands, so white gold was introduced. While the luminous material on this current model is non-radioactive Luminova, the white gold parts remain as vestiges of the past (sorry for the syrupy prose, I just had to slip the word "vestige" in there :-)) They look pretty, too :-)

The Submariner is essentially the same watch as it was when introduced in 1954. The only differences, to my knowledge, are the markers, which are now white gold rings rather than luminous paint; gloss dial rather than flat black; crown guards; and the movement, which has been updated. These are very subtle changes over the 52-year history of the watch. If you were to look at the first Sub and the latest Sub side by side, they would look essentially the same. I can't think of any other watch that his been in continuous production for five decades. This is the most copied watch in the world - even Timex makes one!

Case:

The case is the Rolex Oyster. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. It is thick, machined stainless steel. The steel is 904L, which is more resistant to salt water than the 316L used by other makers, and costs three times as much. It looks different from 316L, too. It takes abuse and shines up with dish soap and paper towels. A battle tested, time-proven, original Rolex design that has been copied by nearly every other maker.

Movement:

The Submariner comes with the Rolex 3130 movement, which is the result of 50 years of painful, Rolex-slow improvement. It contains 31 rubies, beats at 28,800 cph, and is referred to as a "tracteur." The name rings true: The 3130 is not pretty, but it is a large, durable, highly accurate movement that is easy to service. Kinda like a John Deere tractor. :-) Mine has maintained accuracy of +1.5 seconds per day in the year that I have owned it.

This brings up a bit of Rolex history. Rolex was the first to introduce a waterproof case, with the Oyster. Hans Wilsdorf realized that the weak link was the crown, and Rolex then came up with the screw-down crown. Unscrewing the crown daily to wind the watch wore down the seals, so Rolex sought rights to a self-winding movement, and was the first to introduce one. With the self-winding movement, the crown could be left alone, minimizing wear on the seals and maintaining water- and dust-proofness. Thus, Oyster (waterproof case) Perpetual (self-winding movement). All proper Rolexes (i.e. not Cellinis) have "Oyster Perpetual" inscribed on the dial. I only need to unscrew the crown on my Submariner four times a year, to reset the time. I think of every other waterproof self-winding wristwatch as a knockoff of Rolex :-) but that's just me. Rolex was first with this scheme, and everybody else followed. I like owning the original.

Bracelet:

We like to make fun of our Rolex bracelets. Cheap, stamped metal, hollow links, light weight. But the light weight makes it comfortable to wear all day (I'd remove my Omega Seamaster whenever I was at my desk), and abuse it as I do, a few minutes with a toothbrush and some dish soap makes it as lustrous as new. It has thick springbars and a fliplock catch that hold it together securely. My Seamaster bracelet was heavier, but it would pop open occasionally. My Rolex Oyster Fliplock bracelet hasn't yet failed. It has a classic look that everyone else has copied. I love it.

Other Notes:

Brand Name:

IMO, the heart of a watch is the movement. The Rolex Submariner has a Rolex movement. If the company on the dial does not make the movement, then the company is just a maker of dials and cases, not watches IMO.

Omega, Panerai, and many others, have ETA movements, made by the Swatch group. ETA makes some luvly movements, but as I see it, those brands that use the same ETA movements as everybody else make cases, bracelets, and dials, not wristwatches. I could machine a case, affix a strap to it, install an ETA movement, hype it as a limited edition, and charge five grand for the thing. Rolex (along with Patek Philippe, Zenith, Jaeger Le-Coultre, and oddly, Seiko) makes watches. Your name on it should mean you made it. If it says Rolex, it was made by Rolex. I'm just a sucker for tradition, I guess :-)

Stealth:

While the Submariner looks like a fine watch, it is not instantly recognizable to the masses as a Rolex. This could be good or bad, depending on the situation :-). I like "flying low." Those who are hip know what it is; those who are not, don't.

Variety:

The Submariner can be worn properly on a military style strap, as well as the bracelet. The Submariner is the original watch worn on a NATO strap - the Sub Date and GMT can pass on one, but it's just not quite right. The Submariner is the right Rolex to wear on a strap, period. So I never get bored with my watch. If I want a change, I just swap on the "James Bond" style strap (the colors - oops, colours - are those of an exclusive London club, as I understand it) or a black tropical strap.

The Look:

The Submariner looks great with a suit and tie, and with jeans and a t-shirt. It looks right holding a dry Boodles Martini or a cold Miller High Life. It looks right 100 feet under water, or, where "the wettest thing around is a dry Martini" :-).

Conclusion:

The ultimate Men's wristwatch.

-Rolesium-
    Attached Files

Comment

re: Rolex 14060M

Great review of a great watch.

I totally agree this is the ultimate Rolex watch for me. It is the right size, clean styling and can be worn with casual or dress attire.
      As a watch collector I like to change watches frequently and the fact that I don't have to fiddle with date adjustment is great!

Comment

I agree, it is the perfect watch for me. It can be worn simply with jeans and a t-shirt or dressed in a tux. It just goes with anything. I also tend to "fly low". Generally the only people that spot it are other Rolex wearers. Very rarely is it spotted by anyone else. It's my one and only Rolex and I wear it every day, every where I go.

Comment

Working...
        X