No announcement yet.

TV shows to watch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds a bit retro but I have been watching Star Trek Voyager and now The Next Generation. I was not a trekkie and still prefer the original series but it is great seeing the various special effects from across the decades.

Comment

• About the only show we have to watch is The Grand Tour. Top Gear will join the list when it returns.

Comment

• My eldest boy has just finished watching all the episodes of the Fresh Prince!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
          About the only show we have to watch is The Grand Tour. Top Gear will join the list when it returns.
          I'd stopped watching the Clarkson-era Top Gear for many years prior but I have started watching the second series of TGT over the last week or so. I had seen the first episode of the first series, but didn't find it enjoyable. It was just a bit of overkill, IMO. However, it seems that they've settled down a bit and are back to focusing on the cars. I tend to FF past all the studio chat and celebrity interviews/driving etc and just watch the car reports.

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
          My eldest boy has just finished watching all the episodes of the Fresh Prince!
          I still find that show very funny
          However, my boys don't watch TV at all. They either play games or watch YouTubers playing games...

Comment

• My son watched it all on his phone or tablet.
            ​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
              Sounds a bit retro but I have been watching Star Trek Voyager and now The Next Generation. I was not a trekkie and still prefer the original series but it is great seeing the various special effects from across the decades.
              Yes, I am catching up on episodes I missed of Voyager and TNG, also DS9. I wonder if they'll rerun Babylon 5. Janeway is getting under my skin but I always have the FF and mute buttons.

US tv is basically garbage. The new show "LA to Vegas" is the worst show ever recorded. Of course it is popular, as is "Big Bang Theory" which is the second worst and of course a big hit. I try to predict which shows will be dumped early in their run, but I am often wrong since I am not the target market and somehow people gravitate to anything Hollywood produces. Frankly I find a lot of the British tv superior.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodentman View Post

Yes, I am catching up on episodes I missed of Voyager and TNG, also DS9. I wonder if they'll rerun Babylon 5. Janeway is getting under my skin but I always have the FF and mute buttons.

US tv is basically garbage. The new show "LA to Vegas" is the worst show ever recorded. Of course it is popular, as is "Big Bang Theory" which is the second worst and of course a big hit. I try to predict which shows will be dumped early in their run, but I am often wrong since I am not the target market and somehow people gravitate to anything Hollywood produces. Frankly I find a lot of the British tv superior.
                What genre of show do you tend to prefer?

Comment

• Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                  Sounds a bit retro but I have been watching Star Trek Voyager and now The Next Generation. I was not a trekkie and still prefer the original series but it is great seeing the various special effects from across the decades.
                  I enjoyed TOS when watching re-runs as a child. However, I found TNG far too wishy-washy and politically-correct - there were some interesting episodes but it didn't work for me. The overly-plush chairs on the bridge were, to me, symptomatic of the political agendas of the early 90s (IMO, along the same lines that prevented Timothy Dalton's James Bond from $hagging his way around the world in the manner of his less "enlighted" predecessors.)
                  Or perhaps I've just read too much into it!

STV, on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed. I initially found Janeway's voice grating and unpleasant, but managed to get past that when Seven of Nine joined the ship... ...and ultimately felt she was a great Captain, played superbly by the actress.

Watched the first series of Enterprise, never watched DS9, and haven't seen any of the new Star Trek: Discovery.

However, have recently started watching The Orville - essentially a Star Trek homage by Seth MacFarlane (Family Guy, American Dad). Pretty good after the first few episodes.

Comment

• There's something about Countdown that I find enjoyable.

Comment

• I like Sci-Fi if "thought inducing." Also food and travel since I have fancy tastes in neither. I won't acknowledge the existence of Anthony Bourdain though since he can't seem to leave the politics out of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by harb View Post
                        ...and haven't seen any of the new Star Trek: Discovery.
                        Until a couple of nights ago, when I finally succumbed to my wife's suggestion that we get Netflix.
                        Ostensibly, this was to see Season 2 of Stranger Things, which we started on that night.
                        When she fell asleep, I started on ST Discovery - saw the first two episodes and enjoyed them.

But before we started watching anything, we spent about half an hour browsing the cornucopia of shows Netflix has - a lot of interesting-looking sci-fi (and with good IMDb ratings, too) and my wife and both enjoy this genre.

She sold Netflix to me by saying we could just use the free first month and then cancel. I don't think that's gonna happen

Comment

Working...
                        X