• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suits is worth a watch on Netflix along with Fargo

Comment

• Originally posted by silkroaded View Post
      Suits is worth a watch on Netflix along with Fargo
      I so misread that. I thought you said that Sluts was worth watching!

Comment

• Now into the 3rd season of Narcos: still excellent.

And I've started watching "Travellers" on Netflix - watched the first 3 episodes of S1 last night until 0130 when I decided that I really had to go to bed. Cool concept and liking the show so far.

Comment

• The problem with tv is that they are not concerned with "quality" programming, just what will attract the target market. A "good" show is now defined by its ratings, not by standards of acting, story, etc. Seems that the target market likes unrealistic formulaic crime dramas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
            The problem with tv is that they are not concerned with "quality" programming...
            I'm not so sure, Bob.

Personally, I think that TV as a medium has greatly improved in quality in recent years. Production values are cinematic in many cases and writers are now making much better use of the longer format - not only to tell the main story arc but they also have scope to fill in details of various back-stories.

I still enjoy going to the cinema but films now can sometimes seem rushed, trying to tell a whole story in 2 hours. Which, I'm sure, is also the reason behind multi-picture "universes" such as Marvel and DC films and also how Star Wars seems to have developed after the original 3 films.

Comment

• I take your point, harb, but the ratio of trash to quality seems to be getting higher and higher as time goes by. You only have to look at the daytime schedules (or watch some of the rubbish spawned by the old Gerry Springer show) to see that.

I also thank god for Sky Atlantic (HBO in the States, I think) as without that we'd be starved of decent dramas/series.

Comment

• Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
                You only have to look at the daytime schedules (or watch some of the rubbish spawned by the old Gerry Springer show) to see that.
                See, now that's where you're going wrong, right there!

But, yes, of course you're right - there is an awful lot of rubbish on TV. Frankly, though, that stuff doesn't even come close to percolating into my conscious awareness.
                If it suits others' viewing tastes, well, that's fine - as long as there's the stuff I enjoy, which there is.

Comment

• I am surely na├»ve, but does the UK receive US network programming (CBS, NBC, ABC...) I am sure with satellites you do. How does that programming compare with that of UK origination? It confuses me, to wit I watch "Killing Eve" on BBCV America but is it a UK "production." Guess it's akin to what we used to call a "foreign car." Many German and Japanese marques are built here... what do I know? (Don't answer that...)

Comment

• Originally posted by harb View Post

I'm not so sure, Bob.

Personally, I think that TV as a medium has greatly improved in quality in recent years. Production values are cinematic in many cases and writers are now making much better use of the longer format - not only to tell the main story arc but they also have scope to fill in details of various back-stories.

I still enjoy going to the cinema but films now can sometimes seem rushed, trying to tell a whole story in 2 hours. Which, I'm sure, is also the reason behind multi-picture "universes" such as Marvel and DC films and also how Star Wars seems to have developed after the original 3 films.
                    Or they see the receipts and realise they've grown as cash cow and will milk it as much as they possibly can! Me cynical? Nah!

Comment

• Ive noticed that there are a lot of new TV shows recently, especially on Netflix, that have what I call filler scenes. These are scenes that have very little or no contribution to the story line and end up just padding the total run time. Also, there are many undeserving lingering pauses which I suppose are meant to heighten tension but frankly just annoy me.
                      Conversely, as Harb said, I find some movies trying to rush things in an effort to cram in too much. Or maybe most of the film ended up on the cutting room floor in an attempt to stay under the magical 2 hour mark.

Hey ho, anyway, just finished the first season of Billions and quite enjoyed it. Also just started the second season of The Good Fight. If you enjoyed The Good Wife then this is a spin off continuation.
                      Also finished season 4 of iZombie on Netflix which is an amusing (and sometimes dark) series on humans and zombies co-existing.

Comment

• [QUOTE=grumpycamel;n265006
                        ...iZombie...[/QUOTE]

Set in Yorkshire??

Comment

Working...
                        X