Which films have you been watching?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harb View Post

I Googled this film but couldn't find it.
    Found something with a similar name, and then checked IMDb to see if the film may have been released under a different name in different countries:
    Now, I'll admit that I'm not great at reading Turkish or Portuguese or Croatian, but I suspect that Fantastik, Fantástico and Fantastični might not translate as "Marvellous"...
    Err..... Opps!

Did I say Marvelous? Nah! Fantastic, innit, bruv!?

Either way, it's a good film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1kH4OMIOMc

Comment

• Darkest Hours

Great film! If Gary Oldman doesn't get the Oscar. it'll be a transvestite of justice!

Especially moving as it covers the period of the Dunkirk operation when my uncle died on the way back to the beaches.

Comment

• Source Code

An airforce officer is sent back in time to thwart the bombing of a train and the subsequent actions.

However, he only gets 8 minutes each time he goes back to the same point in time.

As the mission goes on, he starts asking some bigger questions about what is happening, including what would you do if you knew that you only have 1 minute to live?

The film starts a bit slowly, but rapidly gains momentum and will soon have the audience questioning what is happening.

7.5/10

Comment

• John Wick volume 2

Or, maybe a better title would be, "Hey! Keanau, you tired of killing people yet!?"

He racks up an impressive 128 kills during the film, aided by various mysterious suppliers working for a secret organisation.

The films finds Wick called upon to honour a debt, but life is never quite so simple and so what ensues is a hail of bullets with very little plot, a Matrix like flashback, and audience likely to care more about his pet dog than any other character in the film!

5.5/10 - It all gets just a bit silly!

Comment

• Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Not the catchiest of titles but a really engrossing film which cleverly and unexpectedly reveals a depth to its characters and leads you to a conclusion you will not be able to predict.

Clever, beautifully played, not one bad thing to say about it, 9/10.

Comment

• Watched "Veronica" on Netflix a couple of nights ago - a Spanish-language (with English subtitles) film about paranormal events when a schoolgirl plays with a Ouija board. Some hair-raising and chilling moments in it. Enjoyable 6.5/10

Saw "Falling Down" last night on TV - hadn't seen it for years (and even then, I think I'd only seen it once). Superb film, very well made and cleverly shifts the viewer's sympathies towards the protagonist. Makes early 1990s LA look like a 3rd World country, which was probably one of the points of the film. 7.5/10

Comment

• Originally posted by harb View Post
                Watched "Veronica" on Netflix a couple of nights ago - a Spanish-language (with English subtitles) film about paranormal events when a schoolgirl plays with a Ouija board. Some hair-raising and chilling moments in it. Enjoyable 6.5/10

Saw "Falling Down" last night on TV - hadn't seen it for years (and even then, I think I'd only seen it once). Superb film, very well made and cleverly shifts the viewer's sympathies towards the protagonist. Makes early 1990s LA look like a 3rd World country, which was probably one of the points of the film. 7.5/10
                Apparently we are due to get fast broadband in our village in the next couple years so the wonders of Netflix and Amazon prime could be a reality here.
                However to do this they need to give the road a new name and also the houses numbers so we can be found!

Back on topic we have La La Land ready to watch at the weekend,not sure if it is going to be my cup of tea but we shall see

Comment

• I tried to watch La La Land but only lasted 20 minutes. My wife who usually enjoys that sort of things, managed 30 minutes.
                  I recently did go and see The Greatest Showman which is about the life of P.T. Barnum (played by Hugh Jackman) and I was dreading it slightly because its a musical. But I found myself enjoying it immensely. All the songs were clever and catchy and the accompanying dance routines contributed to the story. The story wasn't deep and insightful in any great measure but it was fun. The only thing was I was half expecting Hugh Jackman to spring huge metal blades from his fists at any moment....
                  Dare I say it, Im even tempted to buy the Blu-ray when it comes out....

Comment

• Suffering/ sitting in the same room as La La Land at the moment.
                    i do not get it.

Comment

• I feel your pain cackey.... I feel your pain......

Comment

• Watched The Darkest Hour about Churchills life and involvement going into WWII. Good acting and performances but I didnt feel it went deep enough. 7/10
                        Also binge watched Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. Funny sitcom about a family whos mother turns into a zombie and the antics as they adjust. Plus they are half hour episodes so very focused without the "filler" that seem to manifest newer shows. 9/10

Comment

• Watched "The Hunt for Red October" on TV a few days ago. A fun blast from the past!
                          Was made in 1990, when the Cold War was still in full swing.

Funny that all the other actors playing Russian characters had "Russian" accents except for Sean Connery - he just sounded like Sean Conner, dressed as a Russian submarine commander!
                          And Alec Baldwin looked so young!

Comment

• Watched Black Panther on Friday.

I was expecting a 1970s history of a political movement.................and got some superhero stuff instead.

Unfortunately, it was over-long, not very demanding, had the worst casting ever of Martin Freeman as a CIA agent and was so politically correct, that the plot was largely irrelevant. At least I stayed awake and the evening was saved by the beefburger, chips and bottle of tempranillo served in the lazy boy seat.

Would I give it even one out of 10? Probably not. Just cos it's a superhero film, doesn't mean it's any good..............

Comment

• Watched "Annihilation" on Netflix a few nights ago - interesting concept, a bit unresolved in places (plot, dialogue) but overall not too bad. 6/10

Saw "Spiderman Homecoming" last night on TV: enjoyable with some funny bits. Lighthearted, as Spiderman should be! 7/10

Comment

• Sausage Party.
                                Really on the fence with this one, funny in parts but Lso quite odd, I can see my wife would have been disgusted by the humour but then she prefers rather more docile movies.
                                I would say 6/10

​​​​​​Paddington 1 & 2
                                Over the Easter weekend we have watched both with the kids, both were fantastic and I would think the second was slightly better.
                                Really nice tale which makes me want to get some Paddington books for the kids.

​​​I'm going with a solid 9/10

Most Fridays we will as a family have a movie night. We all thoroughly enjoy it but of course the movies are limited to suitable for four and six year olds.
                                I am still contemplating getting an outside projector and screen for outdoor movie nights in the summer round the pool. The sound system is more than capable to make a really good experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X