Las Vegas 1 Oct 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas 1 Oct 2017

Regardless of one's position on gun ownership, what is being reported Tuesday morning Australian time is shocking. 59 dead and >525 injured. Amazing to hear, and I can't comprehend the enormity of this tragedy.

I hope that no one in the TURF world has been directly impacted by this.

Absolutely awful incident. Shocking in scale.
    My thoughts echo yours, Andrew.

Comment

Horrible tragedy and likely to re-ignite the gun control debate. I don't want to get into that. The authorities here say that if someone is determined to do something like this, as the truck attacks in the UK, etc, there isn't really any way to completely prevent it.

Comment

Truly horrific.

But, as anyone with weapons experience can agree, he was firing into a massive crowd of over 20,000 from a distance of between 300 and 400 yards. He could not really miss. With a number of different weapons fitted with 30 round magazines, he could loose off a magazine in 10 seconds, even on semi-auto mode, and he would have had stacks of pre-loaded magazines. He could have fired 30 magazines in 10 minutes.

But that is just the technical. What is of more interest is the mental - what drove him to do it? Time may give more details but if he was that mentally disturbed, it is interesting and tragic that no-one picked up any signs of it.

Comment

He was quite wealthy, liked high stakes poker and real estate deals. He had a pilot's license too. No criminal record. Clearly he had issues but they may not have been discernable. Also, it appeared to me that the mags were possibly 50 rounds, but no matter, he had many. I own an AR15, no bump stock, and several 30 round mags. I reload the .223 ammo as well. I don't really enjoy the firearm, it is clumsy to handle and time consuming to clean. However, I do have a 5.7x28 upper with 50 round mags. I reload those tiny suckers too. That is more fun to shoot.

Comment

It strange that the authorities or media haven't labelled him a terrorist. In my mind and understand, anyone who would inflict this for personal or ideological motive is a terrorist.

Comment

I think there is a difference between terrorism and being mentally unhinged. Terrorists generally want to instil terror into the populace by their actions in order to progress their organisation's aims and objectives, whereas nutters (to use a terribly non-PC phrase) like Paddock generally do not have an overarching long-term purpose to their acts - apart from wanting to be remembered for all the wrong reasons - especially as often their actions end in their own death, either by their own hand or those of the police/security forces.

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                I think there is a difference between terrorism and being mentally unhinged. Terrorists generally want to instil terror into the populace by their actions in order to progress their organisation's aims and objectives, whereas nutters (to use a terribly non-PC phrase) like Paddock generally do not have an overarching long-term purpose to their acts - apart from wanting to be remembered for all the wrong reasons - especially as often their actions end in their own death, either by their own hand or those of the police/security forces.
                Yes, I think that's a reasonable distinction. That said, we don't know what his motives were as yet,

Comment

I assume we are not falling for the ISIS claim that he was one of their converts......................

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                    I assume we are not falling for the ISIS claim that he was one of their converts......................
                    No.

Comment

No evidence has been found leading to any link to ISIS. I doubt anything like that will be discovered. Profile doesn't fit.

Comment

I agree. But ISIS made claims that he was a recent convert and one of their soldiers.......

Comment

Working...
                        X