Photobucket feeling the Pinch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket feeling the Pinch

Photobucket are presently sending out e-mails offering third party hosting for £70.80p per year, must have now realised what a serious mistake they made!!

You live and you learn! Contrary to what Gordon Gecko said, greed is not good...............

Comment

I can do you a photo of a bucket for less!

Comment

I have a quandary, actually. I've had some kind of dispensation until 31/12/18, but I'm not sure if this plan will be available when it's time for me to renew. It seems daft to go for it now, given that I have another 11 months of my current plan left.

On balance, I'm thinking that they'll have realised the error of their ways by then, and reasonably priced plans will be available long-term anyway.

Comment

I have been using Fototime for many years now. $24/year for more than enough storage for my needs.

Comment

Not being au fait with all of this picture hosting stuff, if one had a NAS drive configured as a net server, would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
              Not being au fait with all of this picture hosting stuff, if one had a NAS drive configured as a net server, would that work?
              Should do.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                But the cost of setup, time and running costs would be more than the Fototime sub!

Comment

I am confused about the need for any form of photo hosting. 🤑 It seems like all forums require it, now. Why did this happen? I, personally, was very content with the ability to easily post photos on Old Turf. Did that process become too costly for all the forums? My creativity has been severely restricted. For example, I have been sitting on some AD prototype photos for years.
                  S

Comment

Originally posted by Snooty View Post
                    I am confused about the need for any form of photo hosting. 🤑 It seems like all forums require it, now. Why did this happen? I, personally, was very content with the ability to easily post photos on Old Turf. Did that process become too costly for all the forums? My creativity has been severely restricted. For example, I have been sitting on some AD prototype photos for years.
                    S
                    I think it's all down to the drain on bandwidth and, ultimately, cost. Not such an issue here, i suspect, but for large forums with many thousands of members (and a high proportion regularly active) it would probably have quite an impact.

Comment

Correct. Storing all those photos over the years takes space, and that is money. I don't mind using a photo storage app. I can email links to my albums, order prints, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X