No announcement yet.

Chris.edu...???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with Rodentman about the excessively short fuses of some of the time-servers on the other forum. I posted a rather tongue-in-cheek comment, and added the (what I thought was whimsical) footnote ‘I realise some people will disagree with the opinions I have expressed. If you don't like those, I have plenty more.’

Blimey. Within 18 minutes I had three responses. Not exactly death threats, but hardly cordial either:
    • Are you aiming for a short tenure here?
    • I suggest that for your continued health here you keep those "plenty more" opinions to yourself. Any more like the one you just expressed will terminate your presence on ***.
    • Is that right? I guess you don't want to stick around here. My guess is you don't make it long.
    You won’t be surprised to learn that the three inflamed respondents have in total more than 88000 posts to their names.

I have not (yet) suggested that they should get out more.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
      I have to agree with Rodentman about the excessively short fuses of some of the time-servers on the other forum. I posted a rather tongue-in-cheek comment, and added the (what I thought was whimsical) footnote ‘I realise some people will disagree with the opinions I have expressed. If you don't like those, I have plenty more.’

Blimey. Within 18 minutes I had three responses. Not exactly death threats, but hardly cordial either:
      • Are you aiming for a short tenure here?
      • I suggest that for your continued health here you keep those "plenty more" opinions to yourself. Any more like the one you just expressed will terminate your presence on ***.
      • Is that right? I guess you don't want to stick around here. My guess is you don't make it long.
      You won’t be surprised to learn that the three inflamed respondents have in total more than 88000 posts to their names.

I have not (yet) suggested that they should get out more.
      LOL! I wondered what Harb did when not posting on here!

Comment

Far be it from me to badmouth another forum, but I shall comment on its persona, the elitist mentality, and the retromingent moderation. Even though it may boast over 200k members, the vast majority of those post for a bit and then leave. There is a core clique of wealthy people who fawn all over each other and their $400 dinners, $300k cars, and Rolesor nail clippers. Owned by Aussies it prohibits firearms and knife posts. Get a life, people. God bless freedom, the right to protect oneself, and the 2nd amendment.

They really should have just a Faceschmuck page where the couple dozen millionaires can slather up and brag amongst themselves. And frankly, there isn't very much real ROLEX or other watch information there, other than "hey look at me."

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post

They really should have just a Faceschmuck page where the couple dozen millionaires can slather up and brag amongst themselves.
          Ah, so that's what we're doing wrong...LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman
            ....... Owned by Aussies it prohibits firearms and knife posts. Get a life, people. God bless freedom, the right to protect oneself, and the 2nd amendment.......
            To be frank, I don't know what forum is being mentioned as I only frequent one watch forum and that is TURF.....and to continue the frankness,I don't care which forum it is.

In saying that, I don't see the issue with that particular prohibition but perhaps that's not surprising given I am an Aussie. If it is owned by Aussies, then if they are not simply trying to prevent circular, venomous, 'I hate this vs you hate that' posts then I expect all they are doing is expressing their own cultural upbringing. Just as you have expressed yours. Even this forum sways on tolerance/acceptance/number of posts surrounding firearms and other weapons in lie with where the more frequent member posters come from. USA and some other countries have plenty of guns in the day to day environ. Other places like UK and Australia don't.

You've been here a long time Rodentman, as have I and others such as Reorx, Harb and so on. What does make this forum so good is that we don't often have the firearm/religious posts and resulting arguments and tension that they will inevitably bring.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post
              You've been here a long time Rodentman, as have I and others such as Reorx, Harb and so on. What does make this forum so good is that we don't often have the firearm/religious posts and resulting arguments and tension that they will inevitably bring.
              Ahem! I see, I'm now a so on!

Comment

I agree that forums should stick to their subject. Perhaps I let my fervor for my "other hobby" get the better of me. Many of us are faced with pending legislation with which we strongly disagree and we get wound up about it. And there's plenty to dislike about the other forums(s) irrespective of firearms. I am sorry if my comments were misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post

Ahem! I see, I'm now a so on!
                  Better than being a so and so...

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Better than being a so and so...
                    I think he is also one of them Harb 😉

Comment

Originally posted by simon_e View Post

I think he is also one of them Harb 😉
                      Moi!? How very dare you!

Comment

Originally posted by andrew View Post

To be frank, I don't know what forum is being mentioned as I only frequent one watch forum and that is TURF.....and to continue the frankness,I don't care which forum it is.

In saying that, I don't see the issue with that particular prohibition but perhaps that's not surprising given I am an Aussie. If it is owned by Aussies, then if they are not simply trying to prevent circular, venomous, 'I hate this vs you hate that' posts then I expect all they are doing is expressing their own cultural upbringing. Just as you have expressed yours. Even this forum sways on tolerance/acceptance/number of posts surrounding firearms and other weapons in lie with where the more frequent member posters come from. USA and some other countries have plenty of guns in the day to day environ. Other places like UK and Australia don't.

Very well put, Andrew. I think there's a very diverse range of cultural influences here, and we shouldn't be expected to share the same views on such (or other) things. It's important to respect the views of others, however - in fact, that's what sets this forum apart, IMHO.

Comment

I would hope that respecting differing views would accompany not getting offended by things as easily as some people like to appear to be.

Personally, maybe because, generally, I don't give a damn, it's quite rare for me to become offended. Yes, I might not agree with, or like, something that Harb has written, but it doesn't mean that I have to have a hissy fit like a pubescent schoolgirl! Fortunately, my skin is thick enough, and my balls big enough, to get through life without worrying too much about what people say or think.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                            I would hope that respecting differing views would accompany not getting offended by things as easily as some people like to appear to be.

Personally, maybe because, generally, I don't give a damn, it's quite rare for me to become offended. Yes, I might not agree with, or like, something that Harb has written, but it doesn't mean that I have to have a hissy fit like a pubescent schoolgirl! Fortunately, my skin is thick enough, and my balls big enough, to get through life without worrying too much about what people say or think.
                            That's just a little too much information...

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post

That's just a little too much information...
                              Sharing is caring!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
                                I agree that forums should stick to their subject......... I am sorry if my comments were misplaced.
                                No 'misplacement' from my perspective Rodentman, so all is okay. This forum does sway around with the sentiment relative to where the people come from - many moons ago it was heavily frequented by people from USA, but I suspect today it is much more UK based, and the topics and sentiments will move accordingly. This fluidity is what makes this forum a good place. There can be discussion and differences of opinion but what it clear to me is that regardless of topic, people will keep away from extremes. If for no reason other than to be polite (and I'm not saying that you have not been polite, so please don't misinterpret this). And as I say, this is regardless of whether it is about bikes, cars, watches, colours, man landing on the moon (and other conspiracies), fountain pens, and the old chestnuts of politics/firearms/religion.

Like many threads, this has wandered off course and the original idea of it has been sorted out ie concern for Chris has been allayed by him turning up and posting a few things. (just like the 'so and so' he thinks he is )

Comment

Working...
                                X