Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow in the UK?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Snow in the UK?

    I heard the UK is getting quite a snowstorm. I posit that's not a usual occurrence...???

  • #2
    Please dont say that . The snow is just melting from the last snowstorm we had!

    Comment


    • #3
      I've just checked the weather for this week. Warming up a little this week and turning cooler by the weekend. Thank goodness, no snow.
      I think you're trying to put the fear of god in us all Rodentman

      Comment


      • #4
        Snow was quite heavy on the Saturday morning, nothing on Sunday and all gone on Monday.
        Hopefully that's It.

        Comment


        • #5
          I hope it's all gone, making a quick trip back Thursday.

          Comment


          • #6
            Maybe our forecasting of UK weather isn't very accurate since we are far away. Our NE has had 4 major storms in March dumping over 50" in some areas. In MN we typically get about 55" in an average season. I think we are right about that point for this season. April CAN have snow but it isn't likely as avg temps are in the 50's.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cakey View Post
              I hope it's all gone, making a quick trip back Thursday.
              It's warmed up a bit now, about 11/12 degrees.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chrome View Post

                It's warmed up a bit now, about 11/12 degrees.
                I have been keeping an eye.
                On the road at 445am tomorrow. UK by early afternoon then a stop off in Milton Keynes then Lincolnshire- its a good days driving so I am keen for clear roads!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Apparently more coming over Easter. Woo hoo! (...and I mean that in a good way - I love snow!)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    About a foot of snow 60 miles SW of us. Nothing here. Dodged a late March storm bullet. These are nasty heavy wet snows. I think with April around the corner we are out of the woods, or very close to it. Finally. Our winters can run a solid 5 months. We have leaves on the trees only 6 months a year, from May thru Oct.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by harb View Post
                      Apparently more coming over Easter. Woo hoo! (...and I mean that in a good way - I love snow!)
                      I love snow too, used to ski a lot with University but stopped after leaving. The kids are getting to an age where we are starting to look at taking them.They will love it and Andorra is probably around four hours away from us so quite accessable on a relatively frequent basis if it turns into something the whole family enjoy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cakey View Post

                        I love snow too, used to ski a lot with University but stopped after leaving. The kids are getting to an age where we are starting to look at taking them.They will love it and Andorra is probably around four hours away from us so quite accessable on a relatively frequent basis if it turns into something the whole family enjoy
                        Glencoe is my local mountain - seems a bit of a stretch to call it a resort! It's about 90mins away and I usually try and get up there on a few separate days each season. Unfortunately, I haven't managed this year due to work and illness. So the late snows are bonus as I still hope to get up!

                        My older son and I have been going to Aviemore on February half-term for the last few years and he enjoys it. I started my younger son this year, too. Unfortunately, we only managed to get 1 day of skiing (out the 3 we'd planned) due to storms closing the mountain. The crew talked of drifts as high as cliffs and showed videos on the resort's social media feeds of snow higher than the snow-blower, with 100mph winds. That's Scottish skiing for you - no snow, or too much!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Went to Aviemore a few times but the conditions were variable. Most memorable was 90% ice, 10% slush!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                            Went to Aviemore a few times but the conditions were variable. Most memorable was 90% ice, 10% slush!
                            Sounds about right!
                            However, there's been some late falls that are keeping a good snow cover at all the resorts.

                            In fact, Tage and I were up at Glencoe yesterday - great snow but zero visibility on the top half of the mountain which made it challenging for him coming down! A couple of falls (taking me out in one of them!) but he did well and resulted in a noticeable improvement in his technique lower down the hill. A good day out!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X