No announcement yet.

Handguns and firearms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shall issue, as opposed to may issue, carry permits began in MN in 2004. There have been very few cases of a permit holder using his firearm in a criminal manner compared to those (criminals) who carry without a permit. There are about 250k licensed carriers in MN but I doubt many of them carry all the time.

My firearm use is target shooting and reloading, testing new loads, trying new powders, bullets, etc. It's fun.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
      I grew up in the Scottish Highlands and had an air rifle - I mainly shot tin cans and various targets in the garden, but a friend and I would often head off into the hills for a day with our rifles. I don't recall actually shooting anything but for a 14 year old it seemed like a lot of fun!

Later on I also used shotguns and occasionally went stalking with the local gamekeeper. I guess I learnt some basic firearms safety through those experiences.

I still have my old .22 air rifle that I received as an Xmas present in 1983 - I had it serviced a few years ago and it is now more powerful than I ever remember it being, even when new.

I introduced my older son to plinking cans when he was about 5 and we'd visit my folks in the Highlands - he'd rest the rifle on a chair and then would aim it himself. He was a pretty decent shot!

He's recently asked me about shooting it again but it's a bit different now that we live in the city. However, we have a space between our boundary wall and an extension to the house. It's probably about 15 yards ending in a 2' high retaining wall holding up a grassy embankment - feels like a natural shooting range. I also have a knock-down enclosed target for extra safety, not that the pellets will go anywhere.

He goes into senior school next year and will be joining the Cadets. He told me that's what's behind him wanting to shoot, so now that the good weather is coming I hope to help him learn.
      If you want an airgun hobby in the UK, you can do far worse than HFT, a club based shooting field target sport, consisting of a 30 target course, shootable for all. Theres a couple of clubs up north of the border , Cloybank and Juniper Green being the 2 I know of. I shoot all over the UK, and more recently into Europe in competition s, and absolutely love it, a great mix of people, making great friends all over.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by w-v-m View Post

If you want an airgun hobby in the UK, you can do far worse than HFT, a club based shooting field target sport, consisting of a 30 target course, shootable for all. Theres a couple of clubs up north of the border , Cloybank and Juniper Green being the 2 I know of. I shoot all over the UK, and more recently into Europe in competition s, and absolutely love it, a great mix of people, making great friends all over.

Wayne
        That's really interesting and good to know, Wayne - thanks!

Comment

I post on an international (but mostly US) gun forum. You should see the "caliber wars" which is better etc. Makes the watch debates pale in comparison. Often quite amusing. I use that forum as a resource. There's so much to be learned especially about reloading. It's largely question and answer, but many opinions as well. Political commentary is not allowed.

At least you don't see "Your 45 and your toenail clipper..." threads.

I'll be homebound for a few days with The Rodentwoman's car in the shop and temps 25 below normal. Yeah, normal is 52 and we'll maybe get to 26 tomorrow. Disgusting. So I won't get to the range until next week.

The home opener for the MN Twins baseball team IS on now though.

Comment

This is a great sign, made my day and should be how it is in my opinion!

Comment

It is a good sign,

Comment

{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t2 Size:\t912.4 KB ID:\t263744","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"263744","data-size":"medium"}
                Gun owner present.... BTW handguns are firearms Señor
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bear64; 9th April 2018, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Bear, I believe I got into a tiff with you on the firearm subject in Dec 2014 here on this forum which caused me to leave for a couple of years. As a fellow firearms owner and enthusiast/collector I regret that occurred, and in fact don't recall what it was about although I still have 2 PM's in my inbox referring to some cartoon you had posted.

FWIW I won't post any firearm photos here unless specifically requested by the mods. Frankly I'd rather stick to watches in terms of "detailed" discussions.

I wouldn't pick on the good Dr about his semantics. There are many redundant and repetitive uses of the language, "few and far between, bright and sunny," etc. My permit says I am allowed to carry a "pistol" but it means firearm, including long guns.

Comment

Likewise I don’t recall the “tiff” either however life is short and my internet feeling are thick-skinned Sir....No worries on my end. As far as picking on Harb I was just being a wise-guy as indicated by the winky smile and also as an American it’s rare we can poke at our cousins across the pond regarding anything about the English Language. Btw the good Doc mentioned in his original he was “interested to see and hear about the topic” so frankly if a picture of inanimate object makes some uncomfortable well...... Ugh.

Comment

Up to the mods of course but I've been kicked off more forums than I have been on due to posting firearms and I don't want to lose my place on this forum since it's one of the good ones. I have an evil black rifle too, a Stag 3. I am sure there is a growing movement here which aims for confiscation.

Comment

I like plinking as well however with .45 auto small arm ammunition and rifle NATO 5.56/223 calibers at present. I shoot paper and steel targets for pure amusement and the challenge of getting better at something thru practice. Excuting faster magazine changes/reloading the firearm and preforming aimed, accurate shots in different body positions are other skills I want to be more proficient at as well. I recently sold a pump-action shotgun (Remington870) and long to get a semi-auto 12 gauge shotty. (Benelli M4) Over the years I have had many different firearms however being a collector hasen’t been a goal. I prefer Heckler and Koch weaponry for their quality of manufacture and innovative design but that being said I enjoy learning how to operate any firearm I get my hands on and knowing about the differences between them. I respect any firearm tool and liken it to driving a high performance vehicle, mastering a potentially dangerous conglomeration of pieces and parts and pushing it to its design limitations and safely coming out on the other side.... I also greatly value the American shooter heritage as it relates to self defense/self reliance in my country’s history and pray I will never have to point it at a “baddie” frankly. I also possess a concealed carry permit valid in 38 of the USA and carry a HK 45 Compact without fail except while at work (I work on a US military base) for many reason if someone were to inquire. I really like plinking to Harb....

Comment

Originally posted by bear64 View Post
                          As far as picking on Harb I was just being a wise-guy as indicated by the winky smile...
                          And taken as meant, bear! You're quite right, of course, and I offer a fulsome apology for that disgracefully tautologous Thread title

Anyway, great to see you back on Turf! And thanks for posting your pics - my interest is partly in the mechanical aspect (which is probably why we're on a forum mainly discussing mechanical watches!) but also seeing and hearing how these arms fit into the lives of my fellow Turfers.

Comment

Mechanically there are some very fine firearms. Among single action revolvers is Freedom Arms. Built like a bank vault they push $3k. I have one in 44mag and sold the 454 Casull. I bought them both used for about $2k each. They are finely crafted. The best automatic I own is Sig P210a, the American re-issue of the former Swiss and German P210. Very smooth. In the rifle and shotgun realm there are many stand outs but I am not a long gun aficionado. I have several vintage S&W's from the mid 70's. They don't build them the same way now.

How do firearms fit into my life? It is my #1 hobby. I reload about 20 calibers and shoot at least once a week in the winter, more in the summer outside, which I prefer. I enjoy the comradery of my fellow enthusiasts, most of them anyway. There are a few who tease me on the local forums because they are doubtlessly jealous of my collection. I have memberships at 1 indoor and 2 outdoor ranges. I truly have a lot of fun with this hobby.

Here is a photo of my .480 Ruger. Not a popular caliber, but I don't buy ammo. I buy the brass and bullets for the caliber. Powders are used for many calibers as are primers so no special purchases required for them. Buy the die set and you're good to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X