Family matters...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family matters...

On Mother's Day my younger son (age 32) told us that he is moving to VA. I thought for some reason that he meant Virginia MN but when he said he wanted to get away from winter I realized that he meant the state of VA. He and wife have our 2 year old granddaughter and we are saddened that he is moving. He's more independent than my older boy (38) who lives 6 miles away. We daycare our 4 year old grandson for him. He promises not to be moving away...

Son has a job with the same employer lined up in VA and a place to live already retained. It's tough on The Rodentwoman and me but we must think of his pursuit of happiness and deal with the move. At least now there are many ways to communicate, share photos and videos, etc. When I was a kid I had one maternal and one paternal aunt and uncle, one cousin on one side and 2 on the other. We saw them when my Dad felt like driving 100 miles or so. After HS age, we saw them once in 45 years and have no relationship ongoing. So my family ties are important with my kids.

We'll deal with it since we have no choice. One bright spot is that my son's wife will be leaving her ex and all the trouble he causes behind. She also leaves behind her 2 teenage kids who live with the ex and hardly see her anyway.

Life goes on. What can I do? The Rodentwoman is quite bent about it. I will be supportive of course. They move in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Rodentman; 16th May 2018, 04:15 AM.

Yep, you’ve got free video calling these days and flights are cheap.

Might not not be too bad.

Comment

Yes, but it's still tough. We are a small family and we are very close. Ultimately the kids must seek their own happiness. Also it's a painful sign that I am not getting any younger.

Comment

That's tough to read, Bob.
        I expect my kids to move away to go to University - and they're only 12 and 9! - and my wife thinks I'm crazy to be thinking (and getting sad) about it at this stage.
        Time goes by so bloody quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
          That's tough to read, Bob.
          I expect my kids to move away to go to University - and they're only 12 and 9! - and my wife thinks I'm crazy to be thinking (and getting sad) about it at this stage.
          Time goes by so bloody quickly...
          My wife can't wait to help our eldest pack his bags a head off to uni!

Comment

Looking back in retrospect, which is the best way to do so, I was upset when my older boy went away to college. The school was about 100 miles away. A few years later my younger boy went to a school about half that distance. I adapted. I accepted it. I shall do so with this situation as well. It just takes my emotions to settle down. Just my temperament. We are gratified that we are so close now to my older boy and our grandson.

Comment

In order to keep in better contact with my son, I opened a FB account. I used my real name, a photo from my HS yearbook (1967), and listed nothing more. No jobs, education, family, hobbies etc. I got friend requests from people in my family (long lost cousin) people I worked with, and the sordid group of undesirables..Sheesh, I can see that you can end up with 456,987 friends in 10 minutes. Anyway, I can have timely exchanges with my son, and that makes up happy.

Comment

I think I have about 5 FB friends!

Comment

That's probably more than I will have. My son, his GF, my other son, his wife, and a long lost cousin. Guess that's 5. I consider social media a huge security risk, the whole world is watching, and it can rapidly become a colossal waste of time. As I say, I did it for a legitimate reason, for better contact with my son who is moving. I don't chase technology simply because it exists. When and if I see a USE for a smart phone I will consider one. Consider....

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
                    When and if I see a USE for a smart phone I will consider one. Consider....
                    Video-calling your family from the palm of your hand rather than having to go to your PC.

Comment

True but I need to weigh the cost..

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Video-calling your family from the palm of your hand rather than having to go to your PC.
                        Let alone Turf in the bath!

Comment

Working...
                        X