Barometers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barometers

Does anybody still buy / use these in this day and age?

I like vintage one and have a small collection, but talking to people recently has made me question whether these are now considered a symbol of an age gone by.

What about you guys? And also, aneroid or mercury?

i've got one on the wall in the lounge (aneroid) and a galileo thermometer (i like the colours) and a fitzroy storm glass.

Comment

I myself am a symbol of an age gone by.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
        ....but talking to people recently has made me question whether these are now considered a symbol of an age gone by.
        There's no question - of course they are!

But that's not to say that they're not attractive and interesting instruments in their own right.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

There's no question - of course they are!

But that's not to say that they're not attractive and interesting instruments in their own right.
          I nearly got one that would be most appropriate for you, Harb, as it was made in Glasgow. It's a big wall hanging barometer, very grand looking, and ideally suited to a house like yours.

Comment

I nearly got one that would be most appropriate for you, Harb, as it was made in Glasgow. It's a big wall hanging barometer, very grand looking, and ideally suited to a house like yours.
            Sounds nice.

Comment

It was - had a nice price too!

Comment

It was - had a nice price too!
                Gotta pay to play...

Comment

Originally posted by RalphS View Post
                  i've got one on the wall in the lounge (aneroid) and a galileo thermometer (i like the colours) and a fitzroy storm glass.
                  I also have a couple of old aneroids and a fitzroy, but I've had the fitzroy for well over a year and it hasn't done a damn thing the whole time--just looks sort of crystallized and chunky about 3/4 of the way up and then clear. About to chuck it.

Comment

A symbol of an age gone by for sure but then again so are watches.. Just picked this up last week funnily enough and am awaiting delivery.Will I use it? Probably not to be fair but I like it and it will sit nicely in my horology corner

Comment

Not something I have ever considered putting on the wall, or desk, or anywhere really.....................

Comment

No barometer in my hall but I did have aneroids once..

Comment

Originally posted by red herring View Post

I also have a couple of old aneroids and a fitzroy, but I've had the fitzroy for well over a year and it hasn't done a damn thing the whole time--just looks sort of crystallized and chunky about 3/4 of the way up and then clear. About to chuck it.

Vice-Admiral Fitzroy was a genius and we have much to thank him for in the field of meteorology, but regrettably that does not include the storm glass.

The current thinking is that crystal growth in a storm glass is just a result of temperature changes and not a predictor of weather. If you are keeping your glass in a home with fairly close control of temperature it's unlikely to be doing much.

Comment

Have a rain radar app in the car, does that count?

Comment

Originally posted by A.I. View Post
                              No barometer in my hall but I did have aneroids once..
                              Great balls of fire...?

Comment

Working...
                              X