No announcement yet.

Barometers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a barometer function on my Casio Pro-Trek. This was a watch I bought in 2014 for an ultimately aborted trip to Mt Kilimanjaro.
    I previously would only wear it when doing stuff outdoors, eg hill-walking, skiing, but latterly I've been wearing it as my evening/sleeping watch at home.
    (Not my pic)

Note the up and down line at the top of the display: the line going up denotes good weather, a downward trend denotes the opposite.
    As well as checking the time, it's pretty much the first thing I check when I wake up in the morning and find it really useful.

Comment

Yeah, yeah! I've got it on my Pro Trek, too! And the model that mine is is in the science museum!

Hmm..... I might have just had a brilliant idea! Watch this space >>>>>>>>> ○●
      ●○

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
        Yeah, yeah! I've got it on my Pro Trek, too! And the model that mine is is in the science museum!
        Is that the one with the dead battery...?

Comment

I have one of these. It is a hand held instrument for field use. It reads out barometric pressure (inHg, hPA, mb), temperature (F, C), wind speed (mph, kt, B, m/s, ft/min, km/h). It has a clock and also calculates wind chill, average wind speed (over time), and altitude.

I also have a wrist watch (Casio) that can do temp and barometer/altitude but the Kestrel is more accurate and easier to read!

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Is that the one with the dead battery...?
            It was dead, but I replaced it so it works. Then, I have kept it away from my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by Reorx View Post
              I have one of these. It is a hand held instrument for field use. It reads out barometric pressure (inHg, hPA, mb), temperature (F, C), wind speed (mph, kt, B, m/s, ft/min, km/h). It has a clock and also calculates wind chill, average wind speed (over time), and altitude.

I also have a wrist watch (Casio) that can do temp and barometer/altitude but the Kestrel is more accurate and easier to read!
              Looks a useful piece of kit.

Comment

Looks a cool gadget!

Comment

Great balls of fire...?
                  More like grapes TBH.......but you got the fire bit right. Someone call the fire brigade...

Comment

Looks a useful piece of kit.
                    Looks a cool gadget!
                    Indeed! I got it to support one of my "interests" - long(ish) range precision shooting. Elevation correction at distance is effected by air density which is effected by barometric pressure and temperature. In addition, powder burn rates are effected by temperature and powder burn rates will have an effect on muzzle velocity which will also have point of impact effects down range... The wind speed feature is also useful at assisting with windage corrections.

Comment

Indeed! I got it to support one of my "interests" - long(ish) range precision shooting. Elevation correction at distance is effected by air density which is effected by barometric pressure and temperature. In addition, powder burn rates are effected by temperature and powder burn rates will have an effect on muzzle velocity which will also have point of impact effects down range... The wind speed feature is also useful at assisting with windage corrections.
                      Yeah, but a Brit holds the record for the longest range confirmed kill!

Comment

Yeah, but a Brit holds the record for the longest range confirmed kill!
                        Oh blimey Chris, take cover.

The sniper community argue endlessly about this one. It may well be more-or-less accepted that the longest shot was by a Canadian. On the other hand, it could be someone completely different who is just keeping quiet about it. Or isn't around any longer to claim bragging rights, as this is by definition are fairly dangerous line of work.

Comment

Correction >>> a Brit held the record for the longest range confirmed kill! It seems that a Canadian team is claiming the current title with a shot that is over 1,000 meters LONGER that the previous record held by a British team that stood for 7+ years.

Comment

Nah! We own it!

Comment

Working...
                            X