Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never hoped so much that something was fake!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never hoped so much that something was fake!

Argh!!!

Bidding at auction today when I spotted an interesting mixed lot. Mainly consisting of hat pins and costume jewellery there were, however, a couple of watches.

One appeared to be a Fortis Airman - three dial with display escapement, and the other a Jaeger LeCoultre watch with a retrograde display going 0-30, then 30-60 on the other side. There was also a retrograde date display. When I had asked the auction for more details, there was no mention of these watches, or of anything being fake.

I made a few bids for the lot, but eventually had to drop out due to not wishing to lose my gentleman bits to the fury of my wife!

Now I find myself tortured by the thought that I might well have passed-up on a pair of watches worth £thousands!

It’s an internet site?

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      It’s an internet site?
      An auction house that has onine bidding, as well as bids in the room.

Comment

I was hoping the Flat Four early F serial Kermit that I sold too cheap was a fake. I got about half of what it is worth today. The $ went for a bathroom remodel. My only solace is that I continue to get plenty of use out of the bathroom. I don't think I've thrown up in there yet. In fact I cannot remember the last time I threw up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
          I was hoping the Flat Four early F serial Kermit that I sold too cheap was a fake. I got about half of what it is worth today. The $ went for a bathroom remodel. My only solace is that I continue to get plenty of use out of the bathroom. I don't think I've thrown up in there yet. In fact I cannot remember the last time I threw up.
          Good to hear that you have been able to keep the bathroom vomit free! I also can't remember the last time I was sick, which in hindsight is quite something considering the frequency with which it used to occur.

It really is a shame that we cannot follow blind faith when buying watches. If only manufacturers had a way of easily making genuine watches clearly identifiable, whilst being able to prevent those that make the fakes from replicating it.

Comment

I had 2 pre-ceramic Daytonas one of which I traded at the AD for a JLC. The other I sold. Now I have a Daytona C and plan to keep it. I didn't buy it as an "investment" nor with a plan to flip for profit but it is nice to have something that is in demand and relatively scarce although not rare.

Comment

Working...
            X