Devastating carnage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devastating carnage

As if things weren't hard enough for me at present, this morning (Fri), when I went to see my chickens, I was greeted by a scene of total, heartbreaking carnage and devastation.

Somehow, something managed to get past the electric fence and ran amok within the hens' enclosure. There were feathers all over the place and dead chickens strewn everywhere. To make it more gruesome, several bodies had been decapitated with the heads nowhere to be seen.

We've kept chickens for 5-6 years. They had been a massive aid in helping me try to keep my mental health from sliding even further as I loved being out there with the girls, listening to them clucking and laughing at their personalities. Now, it's all gone. Whatever it was slaughtered 13 out of 14 birds. We have given the remaining hen to somebody else, as she was petrified / traumatised and it wouldn't have been fair to keep her out there on her own.

I have now decided that I'm not going to get anymore chickens until I have made the enclosure even more secure, with higher fencing, further electrification, and improved accommodation for the birds. As, and when, the time comes, I shall have birds incubated here and handled as much as possible to ensure they're friendly.

As for the dead birds, this evening we had a big pyre to cremate their remains, thus removing a scene of frenzied activity for the ants and flies!

I am saddened to hear this. I lost a couple of cats in the last year or so and it remains terribly difficult. You certainly didn't deserve this loss.

Comment

Very sorry to hear this Chris.

Comment

Fortunately, the pyre did an excellent job of disposing of their remains. Whilst there were a few fired bones, the flesh, fat, etc. . have all been completely incinerated.

Comment

I'm told this is the way that foxes operate. They just kill the chickens, and generally continue until all are dead. As you have found, they usually don't eat much or any of the hens.

Here in rural Oxfordshire, we rarely see a fox - seeing a badger is more common. Our daughter on the other hand lives in suburban London and says she regularly sees more than one fox on her walk home from the Underground in the evening. Regrettably out here the hedgehogs are getting rarer as well.

Comment

We get a few hedgehogs hogging our hedges. Although, they did tend to commit suicide by getting caught up in the mesh of the electric fence and not able to free themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
              Our daughter on the other hand lives in suburban London and says she regularly sees more than one fox on her walk home from the Underground in the evening.
              We have a lot of foxes in our area of suburban Glasgow, and I hate the beasts! They crap everywhere and dig up my lawn

Comment

In some respects, it's been a blessing in disguise. Without the hens, the red mites have become restless and come out of hiding. This has shown us just how horrendously infested the hen house is! Poor hens must have been getting sucked dry almost, despite my very best efforts to control the mites.

Comment

Working...
                X