Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #@!$%&*!! Computer

Venting:

Trying to copy a home video DVD via Windows 7. Nothing works. With the trillions of bytes available to Microsoft, couldn't they simplify the process? Something like opening a menu upon the insertion of the original DVD that has a button to push that says "Click here to copy this DVD." So, I have to run to Best Buy for some copying software? Software mostly created for copyright infringement? I can feature why folks buy dedicated copying units to avoid this bull crap. Sorry, I had to tell someone...
    S ;~(
    Attached Files

That's quite alright, Snooty. The bill for this therapy session is in the post.

Comment

DVDShrink

Comment

Tom;

Typical Windoze experience!!! Flip to Linux and you won't have a problem... Brasero is part of my environment by default...

B4 you go out and spend a bunch of $, you might try some of the tools that the nice Linux Open Source Software (OSS) folks have made into "portable" free versions for the WoW (World of Windoze)... (link). I have also heard that DVD Flick is also a good consideration. All these titles are FREE for the D/L and fully functional. There are no nag screens either...

Disclaimer: I have no personal experience with any of these titles designed for portable windoze operation. The only CD/DVD software I use these days is Brasero. Unfortunately, I don't believe they make a version for the WoW - sorry!

<shameless Linux plug follows>

<See also my avatar>

Be free!!!

P.S.: DVDShrink is also free OSS...
        Attached Files

Comment

R
          Thanks; researching. I'm always a bit paranoid re free downloads.
          S

Comment

Originally posted by Snooty View Post
            R
            Thanks; researching. I'm always a bit paranoid re free downloads.
            S
            S;

Smart policy... but OSS is usually pretty safe because the source code is available - you can modify it and/or compile your own executables if you like... Malware manufacturers never give you the source code...

I can guarantee that the software at portableapps.com is safe - I have been using some of that software for years. I recognize most of the titles from my experience with Linux - they are all Linux programs slightly re-engineered to run under Win. I am not familiar with "Shrink" and "Flick"... but they seem OK...

Before you install any software (in Windoze), it is always a good idea to create a full system restore point. That way, if it get sideways, you can recover easily... If you happen to have some software like Norton Ghost, create an image of your HD before the install (and periodically)... it can save you a lot of headache...

- R -

Comment

Thanks. Still trying with Win7. And I have the 887 page book "The Missing Manual"...
              S

PS: I hope I don't eventually have to go over to the Betamax OS Dark Side.

Comment

Thanks. Still trying with Win7. And I have the 887 page book "The Missing Manual"...
                S
                Good luck with that...

PS: I hope I don't eventually have to go over to the Betamax OS Dark Side.
                Funny!

Comment

Originally posted by reorx View Post
                  you can modify it and/or compile your own executables if you like
                  rotflmaao!!!!
                  S ;~)

Comment

And:

"Most of DVD Flick's code is written in Visual Basic 6. You will need MinGW and GCC if you want to compile DVD Flick's support library and TCMPlex. The supporting programs are not included. And must be copied from a regular DVD Flick installation."

LOLOL!
                    S

Comment

Throwing in the towel;"Best Buy," manana.
                      S

Comment

OK, in your OP, you were interested in simply copying a DVD... Now you are talking about mastering and producing a DVD from scratch... they ARE 2 different processes... If you just want to copy, I think the FOSS should work just fine with a minimal learning curve. And if you try it and don't like it, just delete it - no great loss, it is FREE!

If you are interested in taking raw digital "footage" and producing an edited and polished final DVD production - get out the CC and take a ride to BB...

Good luck...

Comment

R,
                          You're first impression was correct. In later posts I was just pointing out the difficulty (for me) of using those freebies.
                          S ;~)

PS: I would someday like to be able to alter the final credits of a certain movie. But, alas, I must try to be realistic...

Comment

REORX,
                            Having a look at your recomendations. My first impression is that they presume too much computer literacy. I'm a bit snowed in, making a BB trip inconvenient, so I'll keep looking...
                            S

Comment

R,
                              Tried downloading OSS......

Went to Best Buy today, bought "123 CopyDVD Gold;" couldn't get it to work.
                              Looked at online revues; found that my experience is hardly unique. Kit going back tomorrow. I figure, why pay $50 for software that doesn't work, when I can have free software that doesn't work, yeah?

Will give OSS another go, upon failure (glass half empty?), returning wedding video to kin. Let them deal with it.
                              S ;~(

Comment

Working...
                              X