See less

Show us your snow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had rain last night and are due for another storm, maybe 6" of snow tomorrow, of the heavy wet type.

Comment

Friday afternoon work let us go early as the snow was quite bad, on Sat morning nearly all gone.
      We have one week of snow and a local supermarket shuts as It's run out of stock, and on Saturday morning the local M&S food court Is half empty. I suppose It's due to just in time delivery.

Comment

Ice houses were due to be removed from southern MN lakes by 5 March. These are photos of an ice fishing contest in Frontenac MN. I never drove on a frozen lake and don't intend to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
          Ice houses were due to be removed from southern MN lakes by 5 March. These are photos of an ice fishing contest in Frontenac MN. I never drove on a frozen lake and don't intend to do so.
          Thanks for those pics, Bob. I didn't know what an ice house was, so I Googled it and came across this interesting article from The Star Tribune, MN's largest newspaper: http://www.startribune.com/dnr-tells...e/475603263/#1

Minnesota DNR hits the lakes to tell anglers: Get your ice houses off

DNR officers are making the rounds of area lakes reminding anglers to remove icehouses before it's too late.

Minnesota conservation officers have been out delivering that message in recent weeks on lakes across the state.

On Thursday, as the sun shone brightly and the temperature climbed into the 40s, Department of Natural Resources (DNR) officers Brent Grewe and Leah Weyandt headed out onto the ice at Carson’s Bay on Lake Minnetonka to remind anglers that their icehouses have to be off the lake by the end of the day Monday.

That’s the deadline for removing icehouses in the southern two-thirds of the state, defined roughly by a line that runs east from Fargo to Duluth. Anglers north of that line can keep their icehouses on the ice for two more weeks — until March 19.

Anglers violating those deadlines risk a range of fines that could total several hundred dollars, not to mention that their shack, which cost thousands more, might wind up in the drink.

Weyandt said she tried repeatedly last year to get an icehouse owner to move his house off a lake she patrols.

“We got a call a few days later from a homeowner who said, ‘Hey, an icehouse just floated by,’ ” Weyandt said.

That owner “called me last night and checked in,” she said with a laugh. “He said, ‘Leah, you don’t have to worry about me this year.’ ”

The typical DNR conservation officer patrols about 600 square miles and may have thousands of icehouses in their area. As conservation officers make their rounds, they’re also looking for trash and reminding anglers that they’re expected to clean it up.

On Thursday, Weyandt and Grewe found a few houses occupied among the 40 or so remaining on the small bay. They gave one icehouse inhabitant a citation for having too many lines in the water.

Anglers still can fish from their icehouses after the deadline from midnight until one hour before sunrise, as long as the ice is safe. But they can’t leave the structures unoccupied at night or leave them on the ice during the day. And they fish at their own risk. The DNR advises anglers to check with their county sheriff’s office for information on ice conditions.

Comment

Thanks, Harb! Yes, the Red Star Tribune, bastion of liberal senility. We get the Sunday edition for the coupons. Haven't heard the final count of deaths from drowning or hypothermia but there are always some. One guy was charged with 2nd degree murder for running his snowmobile into a kid, killing him. The driver was drunk. Frankly I'm not into winter sports and am anxious for spring.

Comment

Anxious for spring indeed! Just finished blowing yet another 8" of snow off the driveway. Was near record low last night at 10F. Tonight about the same, maybe lower. Normal high is 52. We will maybe hit 29 later today. But the sun is high enough to melt snow, and the main roads are clear.

An all to familiar scene. We are just about now at the normal winter snowfall of 55". More snow maybe this weekend.

Last edited by Rodentman; 4th April 2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Lovely blue sky, Summer's not too far away.

Comment

Someday my cactus will bloom...

Comment

Possibly 2-4 more inches of snow Sunday. Then temps go up into the 40's. I doubt I will fire up the blower for this next snowfall. HOPEFULLY it will be the last this year. At the end of Apr it should be 65.

Comment

The annual spring rite of ice out on the lakes may be a record this year. In fact some lakes in Northern MN may have ice on them at the fishing opener 12 May. Not just little pieces, but some rather solid ice. A small lake near me still has a couple of feet of ice on it. It is likely to rain next weekend which will do a number on said ice. I will post photos when the ice finally recedes.

Comment

And yet ANOTHER foot of snow due tomorrow. I know MN isn't the tropics, but at this point in April it is most unusual. Not one day in April has the temp hit average. I fueled up the snowblower as I will need it Sunday AM. Heavy wet snow is a challenge even with a powerful snowblower.

Comment

Blew out the driveway of another foot of snow this morning. Rather heavy and wet. This is a record setting April for snowfall, over 22" for the month. It should be in the 60's but it is in the 30's and we'll have 40's until next week when we are promised 50's finally. Many spinouts and accidents. We stayed home. Many people didn't and should have.

Pandarus the Siamese doesn't really care about the snow, but he likes to stare out the window at rabbits. Now he is tired and it is nap time!

Comment

I am loving the snow there but I don't think that I could handle 22" in a month

Comment

It's a challenge but at least I no longer need to commute. We are over 70" for the snow season, average is about 55". We used the snowblower a lot this year. MAYBE another 4" on Wednesday but mostly south of us. Sun is higher in the sky now in April so we expect rapid melting.

Comment

Wow loads of snow. . we've just started a mini heatwave today, possible temps of 23 to 25 over the next few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X