Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB~Vintage full yellow gold Rolex Day Date~ Blue or Black face~ Stick/Baton markers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB~Vintage full yellow gold Rolex Day Date~ Blue or Black face~ Stick/Baton markers

Hi I am looking for a really nice full yellow gold DD watch with a Blue or Black face and with stick / baton markers that will hold its value, it must be in great condition, no scratches or dings, it must be all genuine Rolex parts & strap etc, I would like original certificates & box as I think this will help it hold its value.

Stick / Baton markers are a must as I don't like numbers on the dial, I would like one that has lost its depreciation and is a good safe investment... (aren't we all I hear you say). I don't want diamonds around the bezel etc, ( too blingy as I prefer classic simplicity), if it the right watch I might consider diamond markers on a dark dial if I cant find a baton / stick marker dial

A bit specific maybe but hopefully someone can or may know someone reliable who can help.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Yeoman; 5th October 2017, 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling errors (sausage fingers)

Hi Yeoman, that is a nice choice of watch and I hope you get the correct one. The positives in your choice are that they have been around for ages and its easy to buy replacement dials etc if required so I wouldn't get too stuck on specifics like specific dial requests only. The downside is that most day dates for sale on the market at that age have 2 main issues in my opinion. Firstly the box and papers have usually gone missiong and secondly either the band is stretched to hell or has already been scrapped for its gold content. To find an older model with box, papers and unstrecthed band is quite a rare find. Also watch out for people who have replaced the band with a cheap Italian or similar replica band and kept the original clasp. Also the older models are often slow set as opposed to quick set which is pain in my opinion. Lots of dealers selling them but be aware of replica bands and replica or refinished dials and non authentic parts as older watches tend to attract this sort of thing. Good dealers are people like haywood Milton with his Merseyside shops and on-line presence, mike at the old watch shop in southport, gary sanderson at sanderson and son watches and various others. In my opinion if you are not 100% sure what you are buying, I would find a watch and then post links to it on here and let the members of this forum have a look at it for you as many on here can see dodgy bands and dials a mile off. Be prepared to pay top money for a full authentic watch as starting price is 5K for something you don't want and 10K for a nice one. Jason at sweeping hand is also a first class dealer. Good luck and I hope this helps. Mark

Comment

Great thanks very much for the great advice, I will have a look at the people you mentioned if they have websites I will have a good look around and let you know how I get on.
      Thanks again.

Comment

I had a scan on ebay last night and there was a distinct lack of dark blue vintage dials. Some black but the majority were champagne or white. However, there is one that fits your requirements exactly and it has just gone up an hour ago! Box and papers, in very good nick with a lovely blue dial - auction number 272876870445. The seller has a good record of selling high-end watches.

If the blue dial is too rich for your blood (although a scan of their feedback shows the seller will take offers below the asking price), you may like to consider the following - it is a black dial with diamond hour markers but it comes with a Rolex box - may or may not be the one the watch came in - and no original papers but it has subsequent Rolex service papers. Auction number 332399208515. Reservations about this one are that:

1. the seller has a limited feedback history
        2. the feedback is all as a buyer , never as a seller
        3. the sellers he has bought from are selling cheap goods

Hope this helps!

Comment

Wonderful thank you so much, I have just put in an offer on the blue dial watch as its a bit above my budget, hopefully it or something similar will be accepted, the black one looks interesting too but as you say the feedback is very low for that seller, it would be nice to have a receipt from a decent seller with a years warranty as with the blue one, plus a 14 day money back guarantee so I could have it checked over if I had any doubts, however as you say the Blue one looks "proper".

Comment

Late to the party here, but there seems to have been some kind of repair to the bottom right lug. Repairs on gold are very hard to carry out successfully, i.e. so that you can't see them (I should know. as I once had a gold Date run over by a go-kart!), and I'd want to see this in person before buying.

I understand that you would have 14 days to return it, but I wanted t be sure you were aware of a potential issue before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
              Late to the party here, but there seems to have been some kind of repair to the bottom right lug. Repairs on gold are very hard to carry out successfully, i.e. so that you can't see them (I should know. as I once had a gold Date run over by a go-kart!), and I'd want to see this in person before buying.

I understand that you would have 14 days to return it, but I wanted t be sure you were aware of a potential issue before buying.
              Thanks for noticing that, well spotted...

I have followed this up with seller and it seemed to be polish on the pic and they replied, they have wiped off the black polish mark and sent me new pics of the lugs, they looked fine so anyway I have bought it...

Its coming Tuesday !

Cant wait !

Its my dream watch !

Comment

Well done - great that this worked out.

I really like my black dial 18038 with stick batons - same as yours.

It is a really iconic design and I am sure you will enjoy wearing it.

Comment

I really love all the stick/baton dial watch faces both on the DD and the DJ as they look so clean and uncluttered...

Black face with stick/baton numerals would have been my second choice after blue as that black with gold looks really classy and the hands stand out well so its much easier to tell the time quickly at a glance..

Blue is my thing though...

I will post pics when it arrives...

Comment

Look forward to your wrist pics!

And here's my cousin to your new purchase - along with a couple of quartz watches. The stainless oysterquartz came with the original blue dial shown but it now has a NOS service dial - in black of course.

Comment

VERY nice
                      I cant say I have seen the angular lugs before or that design of strap on the one on the left.
                      I just have an SS DJ with blue diamond dial so far (also purchased on recommendation from this forum).

Comment

#10 Today, 02:52 PM

Watch arrived, Looks good..

Bit gutted.... it looked lovely, unfortunately though it seems to be quite short of links and will only fit a 6 + 3/4" to 7" wrist max, I asked the seller if it would fit an 8" wrist before paying and seller said yes it would fit but it needs several links so its going back in the morning, the seller is fine and understands I wanted one that's right not made up of lots of bits from different watches and has asked me to post it back.

The strap doesn't have any adjustment apart from replacing links and the seller doesn't have the original links, he can perhaps try and find some for me but I wanted a watch already sorted out, I don't have time for repairs, posting back and forth etc...

I might even consider a new one if I can make a few more quid... Here is a pic of it next to my DJ which didn't need extra links and still has room for adjustment...

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                          VERY nice
                          I cant say I have seen the angular lugs before or that design of strap on the one on the left.
                          I just have an SS DJ with blue diamond dial so far (also purchased on recommendation from this forum).
                          The one on the left is the yellow gold Oysterquartz and the one in the middle is the Stainless Steel Oysterquartz. The angular lugs and the integrated bracelet design are trademark designs of the quartz models.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                            #10 Today, 02:52 PM

Watch arrived, Looks good..

Bit gutted.... it looked lovely, unfortunately though it seems to be quite short of links and will only fit a 6 + 3/4" to 7" wrist max, I asked the seller if it would fit an 8" wrist before paying and seller said yes it would fit but it needs several links so its going back in the morning, the seller is fine and understands I wanted one that's right not made up of lots of bits from different watches and has asked me to post it back.

The strap doesn't have any adjustment apart from replacing links and the seller doesn't have the original links, he can perhaps try and find some for me but I wanted a watch already sorted out, I don't have time for repairs, posting back and forth etc...

I might even consider a new one if I can make a few more quid... Here is a pic of it next to my DJ which didn't need extra links and still has room for adjustment...

It might sound a pain but you can get President bracelet links around the place. If the seller is willing to spring for the cost or contribute towards them (especially as he confirmed before sale it would fit an 8" wrist), they are easy enough to fit.

Comment

And I have been through this exact situation myself, so I feel your pain. In my case, I bought the gold auto Day Date from auction in Zurich and didn't bother doing the conversion from metric when they described the watch in the catalogue, so when I picked the watch up from Zurich, the bracelet wouldn't close on my wrist.

Fortunately, I had time to go to Bucherer and they just happened to have a couple of spare gold President links just lying in a drawer which they were more than happy to sell and fit for me. So I flew back a happy chappy - especially after a very nice lunch to celebrate my new acquisition!

Comment

Working...
                              X