Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB~Vintage full yellow gold Rolex Day Date~ Blue or Black face~ Stick/Baton markers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really see the problem if I am honest. When you buy any vintage watch with a bracelet on, you will never know the history of the bracelet. Any watch you buy could have links added or taken away throughout its life. OK if you are buying a watch with a short band and then add a few new links, the gold on one link may look slightly different to the other but that is easily sorted by either time or polishing. There is nothing to say that an alternative watch wont have had links added which may or may not match and sellers wont always highlight this as its not a big deal. The gold is easily colour matched or will fade to same colour anyway or just buy some links that are faded at same rate. I wouldn't personally give back my dream watch find because of a couple of links but best of luck in your search. You may be searching for the watch that doesn't exist though as you want a day date, president band, blue face, original box and papers and now no extra links and its quite a big ask. Please don't take this post as negative as I wish you only the best in your quest but other members on here may reinforce what I am attempting to say regards extra links.

Comment

Yet again Mark has poured oil onto a sea of madness, I would agree 100% with his summation of the situation, you know it makes sense.😀

Comment

That is of course my only claim to success Bob. I sleep 11 months of the year and then pop up on random rolex discussion boards to throw in my two penneth, mainly to entertain my goodself. Hows the mustard Skoda my old pal ?
        Any bargain Rolexes you need me to buy at knock down prices ?

Comment

" don't really see the problem if I am honest. When you buy any vintage watch with a bracelet on, you will never know the history of the bracelet. Any watch you buy could have links added or taken away throughout its life. OK if you are buying a watch with a short band and then add a few new links, the gold on one link may look slightly different to the other but that is easily sorted by either time or polishing. There is nothing to say that an alternative watch wont have had links added which may or may not match and sellers wont always highlight this as its not a big deal. The gold is easily colour matched or will fade to same colour anyway or just buy some links that are faded at same rate. I wouldn't personally give back my dream watch find because of a couple of links but best of luck in your search. You may be searching for the watch that doesn't exist though as you want a day date, president band, blue face, original box and papers and now no extra links and its quite a big ask. Please don't take this post as negative as I wish you only the best in your quest but other members on here may reinforce what I am attempting to say regards extra links.""

I totally understand and yes I was prepared, however I asked if the watch would fit before purchase, I was told yes it will fit so I bought it, however the bracelet was 2 links too short which would have added £400+ postage and fitting etc and I would have been without the watch for some time back and forth...

I loved the watch and I have had a PM asking me if I want to sell it but it is back with the seller.

Comment

Good to know your still alive and kicking Mark, nothing changed much on the Rolex front apart from the prices seem to be rising at a ridiculous rate of knots but shouldn’t complain I suppose. The old mustard Skoda has gone to the knackers yard and been replaced with a spankers M3CP black on black, looks pure evil, just dropped it into the detailers today so it will be gone for a week getting the shiny treatment.

Comment

I wanted a watch I could wear straight off which is why I asked if it would fit my wrist...

However I must highly recommend the seller from Watford High Street, no quibbles, he seemed a really nice bloke, I received it, was overjoyed till I tried it on..

I emailed for advice about short strap, I got advice (unfortunately this meant me buying 2 more links at £200 each) so I sent it back,

My worries were unfounded.. I got a refund within a couple of hours of it being received and a thank you from the seller.

I would definitely buy again from this seller if they had the right watch for me.

Is it really a "Dream watch".. unachievable ?

Full Gold Day Date

Black or Blue Dial

Stick Markers

Box

Papers

(service history would be great)

Or do you think I should buy a new one...

I don't like the big white markers on the new ones though, I prefer the "uncluttered look"

OK Perhaps I am living in a dream world...

I bought my Datejust from someone off this site, (See my avatar)

I got papers, Original box, Original receipts of sale, service receipts, receipt for £500 for replacement blue diamond dial from AD it was bought from etc etc..

Perfect for me, vintage DJ, Checked and serviced by Seth he said it was a very nice example.

Perhaps I am dreaming as you say but now I have permission from wife (might be temporary but I must be in good books) I can afford gold rather than Steel plus I have permission..

I want to "invest" the money rather than "spend" the money as much as I can..

Some of you will understand where I am coming from...

Last edited by Yeoman; 12th October 2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with Mark. If you want any old Day Date with no provenance, there are loads knocking around - but not so many in blue dial. Then you want box, papers, service history - essentially like new in box condition. This for a collector of vintage watches is the ultimate in wish lists. You found one in pretty short order with a minor glitch on the links (by the way, my 2 extra links cost me 700 Swiss Francs, so £400 was a good deal). Personally I would have kept the watch, negotiated with the dealer to get a big discount on the extra links and had my grail.

Fair enough, you have returned it and that is totally your choice. So the search is back on (or the game is afoot, as Sherlock said).

Best of luck getting another.

Comment

I would get the watch back, offer him 300.00 for the links, fitted and wear the watch with a big smile on your face for years. I had one and loved it.

Comment

Working...
                  X