Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice on getting Datejust repaired please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on getting Datejust repaired please.

Hi all, sorry to bother you again but I still have an old Rolex about 30 year old, its a datejust, stainless steel so not worth much money but boxed with certificates and all receipts etc....

A while ago I dropped it on the floor by accident, not from a great height and now it stops occasionally at random intervals...

I rang my local AD ( Eatons in Derby) and they said minimum £450 for a "service" and they send it off to Rolex for a few weeks and the £450 does not cover the repair that is just the minimum fee... the lady said £600 minimum...

I am wondering whether its worth having repaired if I daren't wear it again, I have worn it about five times in last few years for a couple of hours at a time at dinners so if I pay £600 to have it repaired then its cost me about £100 an hour to wear so far...

Symptoms are.. after being on the watch winder for a while.it runs ok then stops, if I move it or tap it then it runs again but stops anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of hours later...

When I tilt it next to my ear the auto winding mechanism sounds louder than it used to be, sort of rough but then I might be imagining it as I never listened that closely before...

Can anyone give me any advice as to I don't think I can warrant spending a huge amount on it as you can get a really good (non Rolex) watch for £600, I am going to have to get it working right whatever I do, even if I darent wear it I would like it working properly..

Have posted this fault before and received a couple of recommendations who I emailed but had no reply to date from the recommended people.
    Last edited by Yeoman; 3rd June 2016, 10:10 AM.

As you say, you have posted before about this and I'm surprised you didn't get a response from any of the 3 or 4 mentioned. Did you try ringing? (Seth posted his mobile number in a previous response to you.)

I've no idea what the going rate for a service by an independent is. I did enquire once with one and the price wasn't substantially cheaper than Rolex.

If I was you I would ring the suggested recommendations and speak to them.

There seems little point in keeping the watch if you aren't going to wear it or get it repaired. You could sell as is or repaired with warranty. I suspect that the latter would give you a better outcome although obviously you need to pay for the repair upfront,

Comment

The offer still stands !

Comment

Thanks I think I missed something last time, just re- read my old thread and I missed a few, I should have read more closely.

I will ring Monday or Tuesday thank you.
        Last edited by Yeoman; 4th June 2016, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Dealing with Watch-Collector/Seth is as good as it gets. Your watch will be in very safe and capable hands.

Comment

Received back all working perfect, runs better than ever and the wind up mech is now almost silent, its had a new rotor post and a service and clean up, it looks like a brand new watch.
            Very pleased thank you Seth..

Comment

Good to hear the news.

And if you have decided to keep the DJ, I would wear it more often than 6 hours over several years. The DJ is reasonably plentiful and you will see a few around. It is not just for use at smart dinners - it can equally be worn in casual shirt and jeans.............

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                Received back all working perfect, runs better than ever and the wind up mech is now almost silent, its had a new rotor post and a service and clean up, it looks like a brand new watch.
                That's good to hear.
                I don't know if you have any before and after pics but, if you do, it'd be nice to see them.

I've made a Good Guys post for Seth on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeoman View Post
                  Glad you are happy Stuart , it's a nice example , wear it in good health and enjoy !

Comment

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread

Comment

Working...
                    X