A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

So I went to pick up my IWC Big Pilot from its sojourn in Switzerland this morning. Very keen to have it back, so was the first customer through the door.

Proved my identity, sat down, the young lady found my watch, took it out of the box, and as part of the service wound it and set the time and date.

Pausing to admire the work to the case before strapping the piece onto my wrist, I looked at the dial and happened to notice the second hand was not working! Looking at the power reserve, it was up at 7 days, so fully powered up.

Well, maybe it just needed a little jiggle, like some autos do, to give it a jump-start. So I gave it a little jiggle. Still nothing. Brought it to the young lady's attention. She played with the crown, tried winding it some more. No result. Tried jiggling it a bit - no result.

Embarrassed faces all around!

Net result: it is in the next plane (not on Monarch Airlines, obviously) back to Switzerland - preferably marked Urgent - and there may be a turn-round time of potentially 2 weeks. Hope so anyway.

Not saying that I am jinxed but................

Has anyone else on the forum had a similar experience where a watch came back from a factory service broken?

Eerm, doesnt say much for the quality control at the factory or the dealer.

Comment

What a disappointment! Sorry to hear this, Mike.

I recently received my Patek back from service. It was beautifully finished and in perfect working order.
      I think there's a message in that...

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
        What a disappointment! Sorry to hear this, Mike.

I recently received my Patek back from service. It was beautifully finished and in perfect working order.
        I think there's a message in that...

Could be to a) never buy a watch that needs a service or ) sell your watch just before it needs a service.

Comment

Is IWC under Richemont, they seem to get bad press.

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

Could be to a) never buy a watch that needs a service or ) sell your watch just before it needs a service.
            That too...

Originally posted by chrome View Post
            Is IWC under Richemont, they seem to get bad press.
            Yes, and yes.

Comment

Thats bloody annoying, Mike - nothing irks me as much as poor QC*. Hope you get it back nice and quickly.

*Well, that's not actually true, but it certainly does irritate me.

Comment

Originally posted by learningtofly View Post
                Thats bloody annoying, Mike - nothing irks me as much as poor QC*. Hope you get it back nice and quickly.

*Well, that's not actually true, but it certainly does irritate me.

Very true - the last poor QC I had, I told him I wasn't paying his bill!

Comment

Working...
                X