Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch winder popped out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Watch winder popped out

    Hi, put on my blnr today , set the time, noticed about 20 minutes ago it had stopped, tried to pull the winder out and the whole thing and stem came out. Purchased the watch new in July 14, so out of warranty, naturally I'm gutted. I wasn't planning on getting it serviced by Rolex just yet really..

    So can an independent watch repairer fix this or do I go straight to Rolex?

    I'm sad and peeved by this

  • #2
    It is especially galling since they have gone to 5 year guarantees!

    I would be tempted to go to an independent but what is of concern is that the watch stopped - which it clearly shouldn't - and then you have the crown and stem problem too.

    So I would bang it back into Rolex and see if you can persuade them to do it for free as a matter of goodwill.

    Comment


    • #3
      Your watch is probably just out of warranty in July of this year as Rolex would add a third years warranty as an act of goodwill. However given that it is a reasonably severe type of failure, I would ask them nicely and see what they say.

      If they are not willing to assist you under a warranty deal, I would have no hesitation in contacting our very own Seth, who will put it back as good as new and for a much reduced price, in comparison with Rolex.


      Rolexroz

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, I'll try and get some sympathy from Rolex . I'm currently near 3 service centers, st James, West malling , or blue water to run it in, any preference from anyone having visited ?

        Comment


        • #5
          I hate it when my watch winder pops out. I normally keep her chained and shackled at the foot of the bed, but sometimes she just gets ahold of too much lube!

          Comment


          • #6
            This happened me twice in the space of a few months on a Sub 5513. Was being very gentle as ever in unscrewing the winder etc, and put it came. Took it to an AD friend who had an in house Rolex watchmaker and he eventually put it right. He mentioned something about a small screw that holds the stem in place. Obviously this is a much older watch than your BLNR and much updated movement etc, so not sure if stem retention is by the same means of not? Thought I read somewhere that on newer models it is held in by a simpler method...might be a straightforward enough fix in that case? Whilst it never happened me on any other Rolexes, it has definitely made made very cautious. Since then I have very carefully edged out the crown keeping a bit of back pressure on it rather than pulling it straight out. Given all that is holding it on, I just won't take a chance any more.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rolexroz View Post
              Your watch is probably just out of warranty in July of this year as Rolex would add a third years warranty as an act of goodwill. However given that it is a reasonably severe type of failure, I would ask them nicely and see what they say.

              If they are not willing to assist you under a warranty deal, I would have no hesitation in contacting our very own Seth, who will put it back as good as new and for a much reduced price, in comparison with Rolex.


              Rolexroz
              What he said!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mchops View Post
                Thanks, I'll try and get some sympathy from Rolex . I'm currently near 3 service centers, st James, West malling , or blue water to run it in, any preference from anyone having visited ?
                I'd try st James If you can get to them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to do the building maintenance on the family's house just opposite, it's quite a place, full time staff even when nobody is there, I wasn't allowed in if they were. If camera phones were about I would have took pictures.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've took the watch in to St.James, they are going to look at it under warranty, estimated time is around 2 weeks , hopefully they don't find anything wrong other than the crown stem not being held in place

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Great news that they agreed to do it under warranty!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mchops View Post
                        I've took the watch in to St.James, they are going to look at it under warranty, estimated time is around 2 weeks , hopefully they don't find anything wrong other than the crown stem not being held in place
                        Good to hear.
                        Let us know how you get on.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My experience of things such as this is that they act very fairly and would normally carry out a small repair such as this under warranty , after all why wouldnt they unless the watch had been badly hit or abused . the cost is minimal and it can take litterally minutes to fix. Hope it gets sorted for you .

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X