X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebois & Co Avantgarde Swiss Made watch

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post

Do tell, which watch?
    To pick up Chris's question from another thread, I will be picking up a new watch next month - The Lebois & Co Avantgarde. This is a re-imagining of a vintage design. The Lebois company was founded 11 days before Christmas 1934 by French watch manufacturer Raymond Dodane, who represented the third generation of the Dodane watchmaker family. It’s mission was clear and simple: create aesthetic and affordable luxury Swiss timepieces. Here are a couple of their watches - I especially like the chrono:

Here is a date model:

Lebois & Co was sold to an Italian import company in 1947. The watches were still being produced and sold (mainly to Italy). The watches were made in the Dodane factory as well as by a number of Swiss watch manufacturers. In 1972 Lebois & Co ceased production and distribution of watches and the brand disappeared from the watch industry landscape for a long time. Despite the disappearance of Lebois & Co the brand is still known today and popular with watch collectors all over the world. A 1945 Lebois & Co Chronograph sold for over $ 6,000 at Christie’s Important Watches auction in 2012.

A Dutch enthusiast acquired the Lebois name several years ago and designed a re-launch model. Kickstarter was the platform selected to provide the advertising and capital provision. The first model was named Avantgarde and had a white dial. The second model had a blue dial and the latest model has a black dial (my personal favourite, of course). The 3rd Re-launch Edition is fitted with the Swiss Made Sellita SW200-1 movement. The movement is decorated with Geneva stripes (Côtes de Genève), perlage, diamond cutting and blued screws. It has a 4Hz (28,800 vibrations per hour) automatic movement with twenty-six jewels, hacking, Incabloc shock protection and a power reserve of 38 hours. Being the highest grade of the SW200-1, it is adjusted in 5 positions and will run with an average rate of +/-4 seconds/day. It is a clone of the ever-popular ETA 2824-2.

Tech specs are:

Midnight black dial, hand applied indexes, silver hour and minute hands with luminescent material and red central second hand. Arabic numerals for the minute track. Swiss Made. Limited to 100 pieces.

Stainless steel case. Diameter: 40 mm. Height: 10.5 mm. Sapphire crystal. Screw-down exhibition caseback, special "Re-launch" engraving. Water-resistant to 100m/10ATM.

Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds and date.

This is one of the production models that have now arrived and are being married up with straps and buckles, ready for the launch dinner or posting out.

It comes with two genuine Buffalo leather straps (black and brown) and a strap changing tool. The straps now have a butterfly clasp as standard after hitting a stretch goal target.

Not necessarily a thing of beauty, but a definite step up looks-wise from the standard SW200-1 that doesn't have the decorations.

I took an optional upgrade and have ordered a roulette date wheel - keeping with the white background but alternating between red and black numbers. Another option the creators made available was to have a black date wheel with white numbers. Although I did consider this, I decided to keep the white date wheel but go for the roulette numbers - this is a vaild vintage design feature from the 50s/60s.

The packaging is quite well designed; a box that consists of two compartments. In the upper compartment there is enough room for the Avantgarde Date to lay flat while two clips hold the watch in place. In the lower compartment there is room to store the additional strap, strap changing tool, operating manual and the warranty card. All protected by a black cardboard outer box.

The Kickstarter offerings are limited to 100 pieces in each colour dial and I was able to select a particular serial number.

The fit and finish on these Swiss made watches is apparently very high quality, so this is not the standard pick it from a catalogue and get the Chinese to make and it together-type deal that has been seen on Kickstarter before. Post-Kickstarter, the retail on these pieces will be EUR 1800.

Can't wait for the weekend in November. If nothing else, we will have a great City break!

Perhaps, we should organise a trip to France when the Axiom watches are ready?

Comment

Always up for that! L'Escarene is quite far South..............

Comment

Road trip!!!

Comment

Remember to bring your snow shoes! It is going to be winter and it is up in mountains!

Comment

Sounds like fun - I love the snow!

Comment

Eurostar on Friday to Amsterdam for the watch pick-up dinner - looking forward to it!

Comment

Amsterdam, eh!? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Comment

Hey, I didn't pick it!

Comment

As the MP said presenting his lover with a sex toy!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                      As the MP said presenting his lover with a sex toy!
                      Randy middle-aged men in positions of power abuse their position! Shock, horror!! Only been the case for, oh, let's say a couple of millennia!

Comment

Working...
                      X