Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul Newman's Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 6239 sells for $17,752,500.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Newman's Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 6239 sells for $17,752,500.

See Phillips, New York Auction here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfApYWzj28

love the estimate of $1-2m and the bid jump from 1 to 10. don't know if i'm surprised or not that there were only two serious bidders. final price $15.5m plus sales tax

Comment

I wonder what happened to the bracelet, which would have probably been a riveted Oyster ref 7205 or, as it's a later Cosmograph ref 6239 with a 200 unit bezel, a folded link Oyster ref 7835, or if bought without???

Comment

I guess if one has enough money the price doesn't matter. Personally I have no interest in that watch at any price.

Comment

I am of a similar opinion to you, Rodentman. It is not a version I find appealing, at any cost. Bob's Daytona on the other hand is right up the top of the list!
          Even with everything about it, the provenance. the history, the iconic status still does not add up to anywheres near what it hammered as far as I am concerned.
          It is great for the Foundation, I did watch it live online and enjoyed doing so but its just crackers.
          It is a great night for everyone concerned.

Comment

I like the PN dials and 10 years ago looked seriously at a very nice 6263 but ultimately did not pull the trigger on it. This kind of makes me wish I had!

And I don't begrudge the buyer his ability to buy this watch and the price he was prepared to pay for it. Although it is far beyond the vast majority of the world's population to afford, it is not a waste of money, as a charitable foundation has benefited greatly and the buyer will receive one of the most iconic watches in history.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	259552 Interesting numbers on one of the lugs, some of which looked stamped? Watchmakers normally leave service dates inside the case back, but the numbers could signify the watch was serviced on June 17th, 1988???

Comment

Originally posted by steve robertson View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	738.3 KB ID:	259552 Interesting numbers on one of the lugs, some of which looked stamped? Watchmakers normally leave service dates inside the case back, but the numbers could signify the watch was serviced on June 17th, 1988???
                The numbers are said to be Tiffany & Co inventory numbers where Joanne Woodward is believed to have bought the watch for $250.
                Last edited by steve robertson; 27th October 2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I stopped bidding at $12m due to the missing the box and papers.........

Comment

Yeah, I pulled out at 15 million when I realised it wasn't being auctioned in Yen.

Comment

I dropped out at 17.5mil, as I was too busy riding my pet unicorn with Kylie. Unfortunately, we strayed into an area with no mobile signal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                        I dropped out at 17.5mil, as I was too busy riding my pet unicorn with Kylie. Unfortunately, we strayed into an area with no mobile signal.
                        Which Kylie??

Comment

Truly astounding. I love the way bidding went from 1m to 10m in one bid, completely wiping out most of the competition.

Comment

!?!?! Come on, Carl, there can ever only be one Kylie! The pert pocket pop princess, of course!

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
                              !?!?! Come on, Carl, there can ever only be one Kylie! The pert pocket pop princess, of course!
                              Could have been a Jenner.............

Comment

Working...
                              X