AD Retaining Warranty Card....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Retaining Warranty Card....

I know this is not unheard of but wondered what turfers experiences/opinions are on the subject.

I put my name and a deposit down on the 126600 as soon as it was announced with an AD I have bought 4 watches from in the last 12 months and was promised a watch but no timescale.

The watch has just arrived and I have been told the AD will be keeping the warranty card for 12 months as they want them to remain with the original owners fro that period, and this has been okayed by Rolex.

What do we think?

I don't think they should be keeping them (they didn't keep my 116500) but if it means you can have the watch now rather than wait for another AD to get you one then I would accept. It will mean they are likely to get you other watches you want too.

Comment

Do they intend paying for the watch too!?
      Are they concerned that you might be flipping your watches, having bought four already?

Comment

Its infuriating, insulting, tyranny and quite disrespectful

If stickers removal isn't bad enough...this has happened to me.... Patek retain travel box now too....

This whole thing is ludicrous

If youre keeping it any way, I guess its nothing more than a swift, discourteous and condescending slap in the face as you walk out the store. You'll be OK... But... Clearly I'm not taking this so called practice easy!

Comment

I get why they are doing this. So many people are flipping the hard to get models at an instant profit and from what the AD I deal with says, the phones constantly ringing with people from all over the country wanting those models. There’s no prior relationship, existing, nor will there be a future so I can get why AD’s either want to sell under conditions or to existing customers.

However If you bought 4 watches off them in the last year then it’s a bit of an insult and I wouldn’t be that happy with them. It wouldn’t however stop me buying it.

Comment

I’ve bought at least 3 watches over the last 12 months & walked out with all the stickers intact & warranty cards. None of the dealers have even suggested retaining the latter. I have heard from one of the retailers I’ve bought from that retailers are building up a database of flippers & wont be selling future watches to anyone on the list, although I don’t know how easy that would be to maintain & enforce.

Comment

Of the 4 I bought I took all away in stickers, the 114060 was bought in the month he was born and he will get it when he is 18, at the same time I bought a DJ for my daughter to have when she is 18, Speedy was for a friends wedding present (bought it for his wife to be) and the LV was for me.

AD knows all the above and I’ve introduced a friend to them also.

all in all I feel pretty insulted!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonBash View Post
                Of the 4 I bought I took all away in stickers, the 114060 was bought in the month he was born and he will get it when he is 18, at the same time I bought a DJ for my daughter to have when she is 18, Speedy was for a friends wedding present (bought it for his wife to be) and the LV was for me.

AD knows all the above and I’ve introduced a friend to them also.

all in all I feel pretty insulted!
                Generous friend!

Comment

So what? It actually wouldn't stop you flipping the watch, as I am sure you could come to some arrangement with your buyer to take the watch back to the AD if there are any warranty issues in the first twelve months. And you could then send the buyer the warranty card after a year.

So this is a pretty unorthodox way of making friends and influencing people but it has little real-world impact.

If you are a real flipper, I can see it could be a little annoying. And if they start keeping a flipper database so that they won't sell to those individuals, that could be more annoying for the individuals concerned.

However, that may allow non-flippers more of a chance to pick up a watch at list.

Comment

Happened to me, same watch. stickers removed and warranty kept for approx 6months. AD said it was at Rolex’ request, which i doubt, but who knows.

Comment

My AD prefers to keep the warranty cards, presumably so they don't get lost by the buyer. I used to let them do that, but no longer. They have no issue if the buyer wants the card. They told me that after a few years (I forget the exact #) they bin the cards. I keep mine in the box, which is pretty hard to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivalas View Post
                        I get why they are doing this. So many people are flipping the hard to get models at an instant profit and from what the AD I deal with says, the phones constantly ringing with people from all over the country wanting those models. There’s no prior relationship, existing, nor will there be a future so I can get why AD’s either want to sell under conditions or to existing customers.

However If you bought 4 watches off them in the last year then it’s a bit of an insult and I wouldn’t be that happy with them. It wouldn’t however stop me buying it.
                        I don't see an issue with it if it is designed to prevent you selling a watch on at a profit. If you have bought four in a year, they may think you are a dealer. Just make sure you are well looked after with glasses of champagne when you collect the card in 12 months. DMR took my stickers off my BLNR. It's the first time this has happened to me but I have no issues with it.

Comment

I wouldn't be very happy, but If It gets me the watch I want I'd live with It. I would rather have the watch than let the next person on the list get the watch.

Comment

I recently bought a Tudor watch from my local Rolex AD. I left a deposit and a couple of days later went in and paid the balance only to find he had taken off the stickers. Had I known this was going to happen I would not have bought the watch... I was fairly p^%"**d off.. I never seem to come out of there satisfied with their service/attitude. Last dealings were about 4 years ago, but it wont happen again....ever!
                            944se

Comment

When I bought the Tudor LHD, I asked for them to size it to my wrist so that kind of made them think that I was not going to flip it. They didn't take the stickers off the Black Bay 36 I bought at the same time though.

Comment

Working...
                              X