IWC Big Pilot 5004 back from service - again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IWC Big Pilot 5004 back from service - again

Having written about this watch before, a quick recap of the facts: purchased second-hand from a dealer in the far North at a decent price, recognised a requirement for a service, ordered a full service, new crown, polish and laser treatment on the case from the IWC boffins in Switzerland, got the call to pick it up from service to find it wasn't actually working, so back to Switzerland it went.

Got the call that it was ready for pickup again this week. Asked if it could be tested before I came in, just so I didn't waste another visit. They nicely agreed and I got another email saying it was actually working, so I picked it up this afternoon.

Does it work? Yes.

Does it look and feel good? Hell, yes.

Is it the biggest watch I have worn? No, I wore the 55mm Lange B-Uhr for a while. But not anymore. So this is now officially the biggest watch I will wear.

Have a look at the pics below to see what you think

I suppose a summary is that I thought that 40mm was the ideal diameter and no-one needed any thing bigger. But that is not the case, in my current thinking. It all depends on how the watch wears.

Last edited by bfltd0; 1st December 2017, 11:34 PM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	260286Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	260287 Some pics.

Comment

And seeing Chris's Annual Calendar Dubey has sent me on a mission to get a nice Annual or Perpetual Calendar watch. Lots of choice, lots of hunting down available. Not least of which is the IWC Annual Calendar model (pic below). Shame they don't offer it in a black dial but the blue is quote catchy, don't you think?

Comment

Or the Big Pilot Annual Calendar. Similar but different.

Comment

That blue one looks gorgeous!

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	260286Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	260287 Some pics.
            I'll have to bring my Glycine next time to do a comparison.

Comment

Very nice watch!

Comment

Glad to hear the BP is back and now working properly.
                You're used to big (huge!) watches but, for me, that IWC would be just too large.

That Portugieser Annual Calendar looks very nice - however, I rather wish they'd arranged the calendar windows as Day Date Month - but then IWC might have been charged with copying Patek.

Come to think of it, I'm also not a great fan of the "Annual Calendar" writing on the dial - and, yes, before anyone says, I know that I forgive Rolex for the voluminous text on their dials! So I won't be buying one.
                In fact, so perturbed am I by these design flaws that, to make a point to IWC, I won't be buying two! So there!

Comment

I did have a similar reaction to the Annual Calendar on the dial on the IWC. But I find the fact that the Patek Annual Calendars change the day, date and months off pushers a little less pleasing than the IWC where all the adjustments are done off the crown.

Also, I like the (relative) simplicity of the IWC system - I don't think an Annual Calendar needs a chrono facility.

Comment

So back to the IWC 5004.

The morning after I got it home (so at 0915 on Saturday), I set it to the second against an app on my iPhone. It is now Tuesday at 2305, so 3.5 days later and this big puppy is absolutely smack on. To the second! A daily variation of +/- 0 seconds. That is stunning!

Unfortunately, none of my Rolexes can match that. Not one.

Comment

So back to the IWC 5004.

The morning after I got it home (so at 0915 on Saturday), I set it to the second against an app on my iPhone. It is now Tuesday at 2305, so 3.5 days later and this big puppy is absolutely smack on. To the second! A daily variation of +/- 0 seconds. That is stunning!

Unfortunately, none of my Rolexes can match that. Not one.
                      You better pass those useless Rolexes over to me then. I wouldn't want their shoddy quality sullying your collection.

Comment

No problem Chris - I will trade a few bottles of home brew for a Rolox I have.

Comment

No problem Chris - I will trade a few bottles of home brew for a Rolox I have.
                          The two fermentation barrels that are now residing in my en-suite are bubbling away nicely, with the added benefit that the room, and my bedroom, now smell like a fruity brewery.

I did realise earlier though, that I'm producing the equivalent of roughly 60 × 750ml bottles! There's going to be some serious drinking to do come the new year. That said, it's my birthday at the end of the month; I could have a very boozy party.

Comment

I will await my invitation with baited breath....

Comment

Originally posted by grumpycamel View Post
                              I will await my invitation with baited breath....
                              Is that why camel breath is so bad!

Comment

Working...
                              X