Vintage or Modern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage or Modern

Considering the race to reissue with many watch manufacturers showcasing modern interpretations of vintage classics what are the forums thoughts on vintage v modern?

my thoughts are that whilst I appreciate a lot of classic vintage my personal preference is to make my own history with a modern watch in which to see me through the highs and lows of life. When the time comes that I hand down the collection to my children I beleive there will be a greater emotional attachement to those than say for example a vintage Sub

I prefer the vintage dial designs - PN Daytona, gilt subs etc to the modern dials but I prefer the quality of the modern pieces. Vintage watches look lovely but they feel cheap in comparison to modern pieces despite often being many times more expensive.

The first time I bought a vintage no crown guard sub I loved how it looked but the minute I put it on the weight made it feel cheap. That's dial though, it looked so bloody good!

Comment

Originally posted by Broxi View Post
      ...my personal preference is to make my own history with a modern watch in which to see me through the highs and lows of life. When the time comes that I hand down the collection to my children I beleive there will be a greater emotional attachement to those...
      I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment.

The closest to vintage that I came was a 16800 transitional Sub - sapphire crystal, so it was as robust as the later 16610, but sporting a glorious matte dial with un-ringed tritium plots.

I prefer modern watches in terms of their looks, feel and wearability. That said, my trusty TT Sub would be considered vintage now that it's 25 years old and is 3 generations back from its current iteration.

Comment

Simon , sums it up nicely the Nw versions are superior in build quality , My lads would only be attracted to the extra value of vintage , I have a mix of old and new and it is hard to decide they are all lovely but if pushed ,I would say my thin case 1665 DRSD is still my favourite so will say vintage

Comment

Definitely Vintage although I have had impure thoughts about a ceramic daytona which shouldnt make me a bad person.

Comment

Originally posted by bobdog View Post
            Definitely Vintage although I have had impure thoughts about a ceramic daytona which shouldnt make me a bad person.

Bob,
            That Daytona looks lovely! If you ever want to sell it then let me know!!!!

Comment

Hi Simon, yep it’s a cracker, still got the original green sticker on the back, it came from 11erv(John)

Comment

Broxi

I enjoy vintage and modern. No distinction really. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I like the current trend of re-editions of vintage models. For one thing, it brings the vintage into the modern day to allow wider ownership of often very desirable models. Secondly, they are generally brought up to date in terms of materials and build quality.

In fact the new IWC Pallweber recreation of a jump hour pocket watch into a wrist watch just caught my eye:

https://monochrome-watches.com/iwc-t...-review-price/

Comment

This is an interesting topic!

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                    In fact the new IWC Pallweber recreation of a jump hour pocket watch into a wrist watch just caught my eye:
                    Damn, that is an amazing looking watch! And I was interested to read that the dial has been made to look as if it is enamel, even though it isn't.
                    Stunning piece!

Comment

Originally posted by bobdog View Post
                      Hi Simon, yep it’s a cracker, still got the original green sticker on the back, it came from 11erv(John)
                      Hi Bob , I had a nice little catch up with John P last weekend , Lovely guy , very knowledgable . He is now Daytona less none left sold out ! Seams PP s are his thing now

Comment

Originally posted by scooba View Post

Hi Bob , I had a nice little catch up with John P last weekend , Lovely guy , very knowledgable . He is now Daytona less none left sold out ! Seams PP s are his thing now
                        Hi Paul,Never heard from John in a while, I knew he was into PP s but didn’t realise he had got rid of all his Daytona’s, the way they have been going up in price I think he made a bad decision, the ripple effect after the sale of that Newman has really put prices up. Still a great guy pleased to hear he is well.

Comment

Yes, I still can't believe how a standard 10 year old full set 116520 is "worth" £11k!

Comment

Originally posted by JeanetteNash View Post
                            This is an interesting topic!
                            Hi Jeanette

Congratulations on your first post! Hopefully it will be the first of many...........Welcome to TURF and the mad-house that is a watch forum! If you feel so moved, you could start a new topic in here:

https://www.newturfers.com/vb/forum/...s-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Damn, that is an amazing looking watch! And I was interested to read that the dial has been made to look as if it is enamel, even though it isn't.
                              Stunning piece!
                              Agreed! I am seriously tempted by a quality jump hour watch and until this week, it was a choice between an 80 year old Rolex or a new Lange Zeitwerk. Now the vintage/modern IWC has popped up. Decisions, decisions!!

The Rolex vintage:

And the Lange Zeitwerk (courtesy of Hodinkee):

Comment

Working...
                              X