No announcement yet.

Vintage or Modern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump hour watches are cool. I certainly aim to add one to my collection in the future.

Vintage watches certainly cover some beautiful pieces, but modern watches can still have the styling and should be manufactured to higher standards. That said, there will always be exceptions.

Incidentally, at what age do we feel 'vintage' begins and ends. I say ends as after vintage, I guess we enter antique?
    ​​

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
      Incidentally, at what age do we feel 'vintage' begins and ends. I say ends as after vintage, I guess we enter antique?
      ​​
      As I mentioned above, my TT Sub is 25 years old. If, in 1992, I'd bought a 25 year old watch then that would have been manufactured in 1967. To my ears, that date sounds vintage now, and would have sounded vintage in 1992.
      However, if I bought a 25 year old watch today, its manufacture date of 1992 doesn't sound vintage to me, but certainly would to my 11 year old son. It's all relative, I suppose...

Even considering the glacial pace of change in Rolex design, my watch is the grandfather of the current TT Subs (16613 tritium dial/all steel clasp > 16613 Luminova/gold strip clasp > 116613)

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

As I mentioned above, my TT Sub is 25 years old. If, in 1992, I'd bought a 25 year old watch then that would have been manufactured in 1967. To my ears, that date sounds vintage now, and would have sounded vintage in 1992.
        However, if I bought a 25 year old watch today, its manufacture date of 1992 doesn't sound vintage to me, but certainly would to my 11 year old son. It's all relative, I suppose...

Even considering the glacial pace of change in Rolex design, my watch is the grandfather of the current TT Subs (16613 tritium dial/all steel clasp > 16613 Luminova/gold strip clasp > 116613)

And don't forget your TT Sub's daddy, the 16803...........

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

And don't forget your TT Sub's daddy, the 16803...........
          Indeed!

Comment

My oldest Watch is from 1967 it lovely ♥️ 1665 Patent Pending , Its the only Watch I now wear . I have watched the Patina develop and change over the summer when it arrived it was very dark like pumpkin but now it's Custard colour ,The hands were slightly lighter , Now it all matches , I always said I wouldn't buy a tropical dialed Watch. Now it's my Favourite colour , It is Caramel Brown with lovely Custard plots,

My Meters first red sub is from 1969 , It was my go to watch and now sits in its box.

Next March my first Rolex 16610 will be 25 , Sadly I even know it it's the 27th March 1993 . 😂

Comment

I have a pocket watch that is not dated so could be the wild card but I have watches from every decade from the 40s onwards.

Comment

Crazy prices , Are they realistic though

Comment

Originally posted by scooba View Post
                  Crazy prices , Are they realistic though
                  Only for a mug!

Comment

Vintage watches are like vintage cars. The richer people get, the more they wish to show off this wealth and/or invest in different asset classes. So there are peaks and then troughs in values, like anything else. As always, buy low sell high!!

Comment

Working...
                    X