clasp issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clasp issue

I recently decided to start wearing a new Tudor watch that has been lying in a box for some years. This is the only watch i have that has a leather strap and clasp. Having worn it 2 days it has come off twice and the second time i thought I 'd lost it having been out in the dark. I found it inside the sleeve of my fleece fortunately retained by the elastic. i don't have a large wrist but the strap hole is the one for the longest setting which surprises me given that its a 42mm watch. The retaining clips don't seem all that tight compared to any bracelets i have and because I'm in the last hole the second small strap retainer is not properly effective. I've lost confidence in this clasp mechanism. Is the metal clip needing tightened? or should I go for a bracelet which I can presumably buy on its own
    944SE

I'd suggest taking it in to a dealer to get it checked over. Is it out of warranty? Only asking incase there might be an issue with the clasp. Would you ike to have it on a bracelet, or do you prefer the strap option?

Comment

Which model is it? Would it be suitable to wear on a NATO, which would be a very secure way of wearing it.

It sounds like you have a deployant clasp on the strap and that it is not clicking into position firmly enough and it pops out under normal wear, which is definitely wrong.

I would agree a trip to the dealer would be in order, but there are very many replacement straps, using the pin and buckle or the deployant clasp mechanism that you can have a look at.

Comment

Its fastrider so called panda Dial, yes I know but have little chance of owing an a original.... what was it £36 M?
        Its 3 years old but not been worn. i think the clasp needs adjusting because its certainly not very firm. I'll probably take it to a watch maker. I didn't buy it locally but from a jeweller 150 miles away!
        944SE

Comment

With a PVD case there is a lot variety of straps you can pair that with. Canvas, NATO etc. Even a Bund would work.

Comment

I do appreciate the comments but my first reaction is that this is a new watch, over £2K and the bracelet/ clasp should work! I can't afford to discard it and spend money on an alternative. Or are you saying it wont work and is not fit for purpose

944SE

Comment

If it is over 3 years old it is out of warranty. However, it is well worth taking it to a Tudor Authorised Dealer and complaining (nicely) about the faulty bracelet. They should be able to spot it is in essentially unworn condition and may be willing to do something about repairing the clasp.

In addition to this course of action, you may wish to consider buying an alternative bracelet, such as the NATO or a canvas version. These are generally quite inexpensive and can jazz up the overall look of the watch. They are generally available for between £5 and £20, so are a useful addition to the watch. As a bonus, if you get a cheap NATO, you can keep the original leather strap/deployant clasp unused and if you come to re-sell it, it is nice to have stuff "as original".

Comment

I now moved this issue on a bit having been laid low over the festive season for about 3 weeks with a bought of Asthma. I took the watch to my local jeweller who does the odd bit for me from time to time. He was unwilling to touch it !... because of the construction of the fitting. Its a much more complicated arrangement than on my Rolex Bracelets. From the picture the indent on the VISOR?[ or the hinged clasp] locates with the small round pearl coloured ball. So its only that pressure that holds it together which seems pretty inadequate. Furthermore seems like there is little or no adjustment.
                Anyone else had these issues? Is this arrangement peculiar to this model?
                I guess my next stage is to go to my local Rolex/ Tudor AD... who i have a difficult relationship with .. I didn't buy this item from them. I did recently however buy another Tudor but I fell out with him when he removed the stickers!!!!

Ex 944SE

Comment

The colored balls are ceramic I think, and there is likely a spring putting outward pressure on them to assure clasp retention. I'm sure an AD can sort it or worse get you a replacement if needed.

Comment

An AD is the key to getting that fixed. Haven't come across that arrangement before.

Comment

Sorted, I think. The watchmaker in the Rolex AD, who are also Tudor agents and service centre fixed it. I presume there is only the one watchmaker in the place. i was told on a previous visit on Rolex business that he was not allowed to touch anything other then Rolex....I think they tell you what you want to hear ... but only when it suits them.
                      Ex 944SE

Comment

Seems odd that a Rolex AD wouldn't touch a Tudor, but I guess that not all Rolex AD's sell Tudors...

My AD is always friendly, but I must remember that they have THEIR interests first and I don't ALWAYS get it my way. Really, they insist on removing stickers, won't give me a coffin box nor the outside sleeve to the box, and won't ship out of state. And yet I see them do some of these things for other customers...I recently overheard "Sure we can ship the watch to Baltimore" thus saving the buyer 7.125% tax.

Comment

I have a sort of love hate relationship with my local. When i was in the other day I asked if I could ask a stupid question.... which was 'what is the waiting list for a new steel Daytona'. 5 years and the list is closed. clearly i'm not on their radar!
                          EX 944SE

Comment

Working...
                          X