X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post
      I suspect that I might be just a tad larger than the Alpinist target market. To them, they'd probably climb me whilst wearing said watch!
      I resemble that remark! However, I cannot imagine going up your South Col!

Comment

I saw one on YouTube with a bracelet that looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post

I resemble that remark! However, I cannot imagine going up your South Col!
          Just so long as nobody tries the back passage!

Comment

A unique looking piece. Can these be sourced in the UK as you never see them on display in jewellers windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Gazoak View Post
              A unique looking piece. Can these be sourced in the UK as you never see them on display in jewellers windows?
              It's a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) watch, so they aren't generally available outside of Japan. However, as with most things, it can be sourced via various Internet sites.

I've got to say, it honestly is one of the only watches that has taken my breath away when seeing it in the metal for the very first time. It really is an absolute stunner! Yes, the strap is terrible, and the watch is on the small side, but for sheer value, versatility, uniqueness, and beauty, it is very hard to beat. I very highly recommend it!

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                I can offer up a variety of NATOs in different colours.............I will bring some when we meet.
                Cool - thanks.

Having been looking online at what other owners do, I'm thinking I might well get a variety of looks for the Alpinist. On an Angus Jubilee bracelet, it can look quite 'dressy' whereas, on an Oyster bracelet it looks quite 'sporty. ' However, when paired with a NATO or nice leather strap, it can look quite casual or like a regular beater. It really does seem very versatile, which is also helped by the way it looks and its abilities. I really think that it's a watch I'm going to come to love very much.

By the way, some reviews that I have seen have been critical of how long the lume stays bright. Well, I decided to test it out for myself last night. So, I gave it a quick blast with my UV torch before settling down for the night, knowing that I'd almost certainly have a rough night, not being very well currently.

Sure enough, I had a very broken night's sleep - not good for feeling better, but great for checking the lume, and remembering dreams it turns out! I'm happy to say that the lume was perfectly visible throughout the night. In fact, I'd go as far to say as it was really good, considering even the tiny pip hour markers were visible, which was of great help in determining the time more accurately.

Oh, and whilst not visible in the darkness, have I mentioned how gorgeous the dial is!?

Comment

Hi Chris, regards the strap situation. Worth having a look on Watchfinders Ebay site as they sell stuff they have removed from watches in store and sell them. They are in the 20-40 pound bracket so not a lot of spend for an OEM strap providing you find one you like and can handle having a different make strap fitted to a case. If it doesn’t work out you can always flip on OEM strap on the bay.
                  I have bought 3 Seiko watches in the last 6 months including the old cocktail SARB 065, superb vale watches and you might have just made me push on for a 4th.

Regards
                  Jon

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Jon, I'll have a look.
                    I'm very tempted by the cocktail models, they look stunning. I certainly think you 'need' to add a SARB017 to the collection. It would be rude not to!

Comment

Seiko lume is something special for sure.

interested to see itnon Nato. I’m more of a bracelet guy who enjoys thenoccassional Leather strap. Never really.been into NATO but you could convince me

Comment

Originally posted by Broxi View Post
                        Never really.been into NATO...
                        Likewise. I think the right watch can look good on a NATO in pictures, but in real life I always fine them uncomfortable and unbalanced.
                        NATO strap = the easiest way to make expensive engineering feel like cheap POS.

Comment

It's a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) watch, so they aren't generally available outside of Japan. However, as with most things, it can be sourced via various Internet sites.

I've got to say, it honestly is one of the only watches that has taken my breath away when seeing it in the metal for the very first time. It really is an absolute stunner! Yes, the strap is terrible, and the watch is on the small side, but for sheer value, versatility, uniqueness, and beauty, it is very hard to beat. I very highly recommend it!
                          Thanks, very much like the Grand Seiko products then.

Comment

Just order a bracelet for the Alpinist from strapcode.com
                            ​​​​​
                            I decided to go for the Angus Jubilee for SARB017, as the reviews I've seen have been very positive and I fancied something different from on Oyster style bracelet. Not sure how long it will take to arrive, I think from HK. It will certainly give the watch a completely different look and feel.

Comment

...I fancied something different from on Oyster style bracelet.
                              So you went for a Jubilee-style bracelet.

Way to break out from the Rolex mould, Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

So you went for a Jubilee-style bracelet.

Way to break out from the Rolex mould, Chris...
                                What can I say? I like to rebel as much as the next person, but come on, let's not get too silly!

Comment

Working...
                                X