Kickstarter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstarter.

i note Kickstarter watches seem to be quite a thing here. I’ve owned 2 in my day and have discussed the merits with a watch nut Friend of mine.

a question for those whom have also indulged...

I guess the concept of Kickstarter is to get your business off the ground however how many of these ventures are either one off or continuely use the Kickstarter platform to reel out new models?

has anyone bought multiple watches off the same KS company?

I have two on order from one company, Axiom. They have developed a range of watches offered on Kickstarter. I believe there are some companies that use the Kickstarter concept to gain sufficient capital to launch an initial product and then try to move to a conventional retail model.

However, there do also seem to be a number of companies that use it to fund each model as they go. I guess that, in some respects, this approach might dissipate some of the risks associated with developing new models, as they will already have a secured customer base. In some instances might even run to the full production run, thus achieving 100% sales with minimal risk or costs of marketing.

Comment

It certainly dissipates the risk but isn’t it at odds with the whole Kickstarter concept? Surely once a business infrastructure is in place surely the costs of making the watch get cheaper? Assuming of course not all the costs go into purely making and assembling the watch.

Comment

A lot of the watchmakers are operating on small production runs though, so not getting the best pricing. The economies of scale are going to be difficult to achieve for most Kickstarter watch companies as they tend to only be one man or small team enterprises.

Comment

Fair point, they are business’ nonetheless and for the most part outwith the initial design and QC phases they are I would imagine pass thru orginizations.
          far from knocking the concept I would actually love to do something g like this and have discussed it with fellow enthusiasts however it surely just can’t be a hobby for those that do it now. They must make money therefore one would expect that they could stand on their own after a time

Comment

Whilst I will read the KS posts here and sometimes comment on the design of a particular watch, I can honestly say that I have no interest at all in the concept.

There are reasons that watches from established expensive brands are expensive.
            And there are reasons that watches from established cheap brands are cheap.
            In both of these cases you can be (more or less) assured that you will get a product of sufficient quality that will work as advertised.
            IMO, I don't believe that a KS company will ever be able to guarantee that and, as such, I can't be bothered wasting my time and/or money on them.

jm2p

Comment

Fair enough comet, Harb. However, when a company like Horage is estimated by people with many years experience working for the top brands, then they ought to be capable of delivering a high quality product.

However, I agree that the numerous off the shelf producers will, and do, struggle to deliver the same level of quality and support.

Comment

KS runs the gamut of watches that are literally only composed of parts ordered from catalogues, assembled in cheap-labour factories with no QC, to models like the Straton ,which are designed from the ground up as a new product and everything is essentially custom made.

So like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

And there is little margin for the micro-brand owner. As an example, when I went to Amsterdam to pick up my Lebois watch, that was the third iteration on KS and the owner of the company has not given up his day job.........

Comment

Originally posted by bfltd0 View Post
                  KS runs the gamut of watches that are literally only composed of parts ordered from catalogues, assembled in cheap-labour factories with no QC, to models like the Straton ,which are designed from the ground up as a new product and everything is essentially custom made.

So like anything in life, you get what you pay for.

And there is little margin for the micro-brand owner. As an example, when I went to Amsterdam to pick up my Lebois watch, that was the third iteration on KS and the owner of the company has not given up his day job.........
                  Was his day job standing in a window, waiting for you!?

Comment

Not everyone in Amsterdam is a tart! As a matter of fact, I believe he works in IT, but just happens to own a Swiss watch company............as you do.

Comment

Not everyone in Amsterdam is a tart!
                      Was that a lesson you learnt the hard way?

Comment

Supposedly my new YES watch will be delivered by mid February. They report getting the first 50 ready to ship. I am # 212 on the list.

Comment

I think several of is might be expecting the Geckota D1 at the end of Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisEdu View Post

Was that a lesson you learnt the hard way?
                            Why does no-one ever learn anything the soft way?

Comment

Why does no-one ever learn anything the soft way?
                              If you're with a tart, I don't think being soft will be much good!

Comment

Working...
                              X