Rolex Apache explorer II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex Apache explorer II

Rolex authorised case back engraving for the UK Apache force.

Yes, Rolex like the military and the caseback engraving is the favourite way of discreet customisation. Not seen one of the Apache but I do like the SRR Submariner.

Comment

Yes, we tried hard to have the dial customised but it was a no go. They were really involved with the engraving and quite strict on what they would allow us to have.

Comment

Love the AH-64. I heard a rumour that it was being developed near where Airwolf was being filmed, leading the filming to be banned from flying over various areas of desert.

Comment

Very nice, Grant - looks great.

Comment

Cool!!!!

Comment

Nice, and Apaches are rather potent machines!

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentman View Post
                Nice, and Apaches are rather potent machines!
                I was involved in testing the 30mm chain guns/barrels/receivers. Great fun (in a big underground bunker in the desert). Luckily there was a real town nearby for a little bit of light relief!

Comment

And here's the SRR caseback:

Comment

i was of the impression that Today's Rolex would not be involved in or allow any form of modification be in dial or case back. I would have also thought taking any steel away no matter how little would affect the overall water resistance even by a negligible amount although perhaps it is is within a set parameter. Out of interest When you say they were involved and were very strict was it an AD or Rolex Geneva?

Comment

The UK military limited editions tend to go through Rolex UK in London.

Comment

Is there a catalogue or site that lists all Rolex authorised limited editions like the watches above? It would be interesting to see the history of what has been approved in the past.

Comment

If Rolex allow it, you can bet your bottom dollar they don't advertise their clients, especially if you are talking about the Special Forces or other elite/little bit secret units.

The only way to try and keep track is to keep an eye out an all the watch auctions and forums. Inevitably, you will see someone going rogue and flogging it to supplement their pension or pay for a really nice holiday. An SRR Sub was on ebay recently at £19k. Didn't stay there long.............There are lots of other manufacturers that are happy to allow more customisation on the dial as well as caseback - Bremont, Breitling, Omega for example.

Comment

There was an MI5 watch that appeared on ebay a few years ago - but not for long before it was pulled. Not the 5 at the six o'clock position.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantD View Post
                              Yes, we tried hard to have the dial customised but it was a no go. They were really involved with the engraving and quite strict on what they would allow us to have.
                              What were the main constraints, as a matter of interest?

Comment

Working...
                              X