Anybody knowledgeable on Patek?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody knowledgeable on Patek?

Does anybody here know much about Patek Philippe?
    I have never tried one on. I know they are highly collectable and should retain money but I am uneasy spending that sort of money on a watch I know very little about.
    I like the Patek Philippe 5976/1G

i know the 5976 is extremely rare - 1300 pieces worldwide.
    it's also quite big 44mm which is bigger than the other Nautlius models.(40mm)

Price on the secondhand market north of £125k!
    bit of a big piece to be jumping into the PP brand with... the trouble with even the current line up is getting to see them in the flesh, takes a good AD relationship or patience or the grey market.

Comment

I personally am not attracted to Patek, primarily because I cannot afford them. But I don't much care for the styling frankly. Also, many of their bracelets are not adjustable which is an issue. I don't consider any watch an investment and the fact that they do hold their value does not increase my desire for one. My AD has shown me several and I never warmed up to them.

Comment

Im no PP expert but a big time admirer. A patek with moonphase or minute repeater will only go up in value over time. Just about any PP is a safe bet.

The bigger Nautlius models are quite popular with celerbety patek collectors, a quick trip to youtube and you’ll know what i mean. I think this is one of the reasons for the big markeups.

Comment

My wife has put an end to this - she said "it's fugly and I must be joking" she says at least Rolex are beautiful.

Comment

I flogged my Rolex collection for a 5167 Aquanaut and 5711 blue Nautilus. No regrets!!!

Comment

I had the 5711 in blue for a while. I really wanted to want it if that makes sense? It’s very lightweight, almost unnoticeable on the wrist and as I read somewhere it looks like an old 1970’s TV set. Bit harsh actually as it is quite striking at times but it just wasn’t for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivalas View Post
                ...I read somewhere it looks like an old 1970’s TV set.
                I've always thought that the case shoulders on the Nautilus looked the the front wheelarches of the 944!

.....anyone else see what I mean?!

I remember the first time I saw a Nautilus in a magazine - I was about 15 or 16 and at that time, in my bedroom, I had a framed advert of a Porsche 944 which I'd taken from a car magazine.

In fact, this was the advert:

..... cool, huh?

Comment

That styling doesn't appeal to me. I agree it's a fine watch, but one man's confection is another man's sweet....

Comment

Harb - totally see the styling cues of the 944 in the nautilus case.

I bought an Rose Gold Aquanaut just before Christmas and love the whole look and feel of it, just so much different to the other watches in my collection.
                    I'm also looking at adding an Nautlius in the future, but after trying both dial colours am considering the white dial over the blue

it just sang to me more.

They are totally different to the Rolex sports models in my collection but then again, isn't that the point.... and after all i'm not advocating ditching all of my Rolex for PP!
                    Last edited by d4uk; 1st April 2018, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Loving wearing the Aquanaut as my daily (unless im doing something really physical). So much so I want to upgrade to the 5164 travel time version.

Comment

Originally posted by Welshboy78 View Post
                        Loving wearing the Aquanaut as my daily (unless im doing something really physical). So much so I want to upgrade to the 5164 travel time version.
                        Yeah the travel time is a great complication and dare I say it much better than the Rolex GMT calibration in execution at least.

I’ve been considering upgrading my 5167 to the 5164 but I love that mine is the RG and the choc brown dial, I think that is better than the steel travel time (for me at least)
                        I tried one on recently at the AD and came away keeping my Aqua...

Comment

Originally posted by d4uk View Post
                          Harb - totally see the styling cues of the 944 in the nautilus case.

I bought an Rose Gold Aquanaut just before Christmas and love the whole look and feel of it, just so much different to the other watches in my collection.
                          I'm also looking at adding an Nautlius in the future, but after trying both dial colours am considering the white dial over the blue

it just sang to me more.

They are totally different to the Rolex sports models in my collection but then again, isn't that the point.... and after all i'm not advocating ditching all of my Rolex for PP!
                          Congrats on the RG Aqua - beautiful watch! Any pics?

Originally posted by Welshboy78 View Post
                          I know these are ostensibly Patek "sports" watches, but I would treat one as a dress watch in the same way as my 5196R. I could not countenance wearing one for everyday duties.

Comment

As it happens, I've worn my Aquanaut around the pool and to black tie dinners, and it's equally at home in either environment. It's an incredible watch.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post

Congrats on the RG Aqua - beautiful watch! Any pics?

I know these are ostensibly Patek "sports" watches, but I would treat one as a dress watch in the same way as my 5196R. I could not countenance wearing one for everyday duties.
                              Here you go...

Comment

Working...
                              X