An old friend returns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old friend returns

Glad you have it back, that is a very long wait for a service. Watch looks great.

Comment

Nice, The GMT is my favourite Sports Rolex.

Comment

That's a long time to wait but it's looking great!

Your thoughts on not changing the dial are of interest to me. My first Rolex is my venerable TT Sub, bought in 1992. The dial only has the faintest glow and I'm pondering having it replaced when it next goes for service.

Like you, I never wear this watch in the dark. It's been a long time since it was my one and only daily wearer, living a rough and tumble existence of extreme sports and hard partying (!) and now lives a much more sedate life filling an almost dress-watch like role.

I, too, also like things to be original - however, I guess you could say that the "original" appearance of this watch is with luminous markers/hands that glow and so getting a replacement Luminova dial will give me that original functionality and look back again. To be honest, I don't actually remember what the watch looked like when tritium glowed brightly...but that's not the point!

It's already had a new clasp, crown and crystal over its life, so I guess "keeping it original" is already a lost cause! I'm sure I'll ponder this issue right up until I'm on the phone giving the go-ahead for the service...!

Glad you got your old friend strapped back on your wrist - Wear it in great health!

Comment

wow, your gmt looks amazing and you did the right thing not changing the dial.

Comment

Defo good to keep the old dial.

Lume is pants anyway. My 2 year old GMT looses lume after an hour or so of dark.

Comment

Never needed to use lume so the replacement of a deal would be neither here or there to me, i do prefer an original factory fitted dial.

19.5 weeks is a long time simply crazy and i cant understand how Rolex can believe that they think this could be in anyway an acceptable timescale to wait

It really does put me off sending them stuff these days and lets face it, they ain't cheap ae they.

None the less the results are always pretty goodand your GMT is no exception

Sadly i dont wear my Coke Master 2 nearly enough - looking at your pics makes me think it might be time to move it on.

Comment

nice watch you have there and pretty rare too to find a trit dial 16710
                not many around like these anymore, look at the dial these go somewhat matt over the yrs and yours has done so too, similiar to the 16800 with wg surround trit dials , the lacquer over the yrs disappears and you end up with a lovely matt dialed , with cream coloured markers , i think its just lovely .

you were right to turn down the new dial . never change an original dial unless its completely knackered .

can i ask if they changed the hands at all?

lovely lovely thing , my dumbo friend had one of these but stupidly punted
                it on earlier this yr , he still moans about it to this day dont you mate

enjoy it for another 20+ yrs and wear in the best of health.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
                  It's already had a new clasp, crown and crystal over its life, so I guess "keeping it original" is already a lost cause! I'm sure I'll ponder this issue right up until I'm on the phone giving the go-ahead for the service...!
                  I think the crown and crystal are considered wear and tear items, the newer clasp (it should of been made like that all the time).. I'd still keep dial and hands as is if I were you!....

Comment

Originally posted by kzm40 View Post
                    ...the newer clasp (it should of been made like that all the time)..
                    When I said new clasp, it's still the old old-style one ie all SS and without the gold centre portion in line with the centre-links.

I'm not so sure about keeping the dial. Whilst, in most cases, I would recommend to others to keep an original dial, in my own case, and on this particular watch, I don't see the need.

I'm never going to sell it, one of my boys will eventually get it and so, for the time till that particular eventuality, I might as well have a watch that functions correctly.

Or maybe I will end up keeping it original! Who knows...
                    I'm sure I'll revisit this with the Forum when the time comes for a service...

Comment

Looks fantastic, and it would have been a MASSIVE mistake to put a new luminova dial on it... tritium is what it should have (harb take note )!
                      Last edited by learningtofly; 15th December 2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harb View Post
                        When I said new clasp, it's still the old old-style one ie all SS and without the gold centre portion in line with the centre-links.

I'm not so sure about keeping the dial. Whilst, in most cases, I would recommend to others to keep an original dial, in my own case, and on this particular watch, I don't see the need.

I'm never going to sell it, one of my boys will eventually get it and so, for the time till that particular eventuality, I might as well have a watch that functions correctly.

Or maybe I will end up keeping it original! Who knows...
                        I'm sure I'll revisit this with the Forum when the time comes for a service...
                        I thought you'd upgraded to the gold and steel clasp, rather than the all SS one.. My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanski View Post

can i ask if they changed the hands at all?

Not as far as I know. Certainly they didn't charge for hands, or indeed for any other parts. I keep looking at the watch and wondering how they managed to refurbish it quite so well.

Another thing I have noticed is that the rotation of the bezel is now very smooth in both directions, with positive detents aligning exactly with the hour marks on the insert. A short time after I bought the watch I did take it in to Stratford Place and asked them if they could correct the alignment of the insert; they did this in a few minutes. Having seen the photos sequence of how to remove and replace the bezel I can now see how the job is done, but it's not something I really would want to tackle myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Learner View Post
                            Not as far as I know. Certainly they didn't charge for hands, or indeed for any other parts. I keep looking at the watch and wondering how they managed to refurbish it quite so well.

Another thing I have noticed is that the rotation of the bezel is now very smooth in both directions, with positive detents aligning exactly with the hour marks on the insert. A short time after I bought the watch I did take it in to Stratford Place and asked them if they could correct the alignment of the insert; they did this in a few minutes. Having seen the photos sequence of how to remove and replace the bezel I can now see how the job is done, but it's not something I really would want to tackle myself.
                            its just proably the lighting , looks fine to me . sometimes the hands look lighter than the dial due to how the lighting was when the pics were taken .
                            as long as it doesnt glow or glows about the same as the dial plots they will be the same exact hands that were on it before .

yeah its pretty easy to sort the insert if you know how but just be wary of the small spring/wire thats give you the click doesnt fall out . but if you got rolex hq pretty nearby leave them to it , they can put in a pepsi insert in for you for 20-30 quid so is barely worth the grief of doing it yourself .

enjoy the watch it really is a nice one and i wish id kept one of the many 16710s ive had but as they say you can't keep them all
                            Last edited by Alanski; 15th December 2010, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alanski View Post
                              ...but as they say you can't keep them all
                              Perhaps someone should tell Mike Wood that...

Comment

Working...
                              X